Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jc202

PMDG takeoff

Hi so I'm new to the pmdg 747-400 but I am positive that I am entering all of the necessary information correctly within the fmc. So I would power up press to/ga and pitch up press vnav and autopilot the shortly after lnav. The problem is that everything is good until I reach 10000 it always stay ther even if it is now in the legs and I don't know why. It does not go to the desired altitude assigned to it in legs in the fmc. It will turn at points set and still be at that altitude an no the v/s and altitude lights or not on. What am I doing wrong?Tremaine Yates

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Tremaine,did you try to change the ALT by Alt knob and click on it? It is the window next to V/S. There you set maximum Altitude you get aprovement from ATC or Initial climb that is set for every airport. It has to be set before také off.Petr

Did you set the MCP altitude in concordance with your desired alt?I always set it to my cruise alt prior takeoff, since I don't use ATC.

Does speed remain at 250 knots when reaching 10,000 feet? I can think of three functional items that are controlling altitude, MCP altitude window, the legs page and the VNAV page where cruise altitude is set. If VNAV cruise is set to 10,000 and VNAV is active, I would guess it would level off at 10,000 even with the MCP at higher. Try flight level change at 10,000 with MCP altitude higher. It should climb.

I guess having the knob at 10 000 may b the issue but I thought the vnav with the Sid would automatically adjust the aircraft to climb and and attain what altitude in terms of the limits of the area. I assumed that it would follow these constraints rather than go to the altitude that was selected.Tremaine Yates

No, having X altitude in the Altitude box is like a "Stop" box. Either going up or down, if the 747 approaches your MCP altitude box, it will stay there until the MCP is moved. After it deals with the MCP, then it will fly any altitude restraints on VNAV.

O ok i will try it out and see what happens. But another problem i am having i have seen it plenty of times on the forum is the pitching of the aircraft when you reach cruise it just pitches up and down like crazy. any suggestions on how to fix this?Tremaine Yates

Are you loading the aircraft directly from the Fly Now menu, or after loading with a default aircraft?

There's your problem.Load the default Cessna (or any other default aircraft) first. Then, once the sim is fully loaded and you're on the ramp, change to the more complex aircraft (the PMDG 744 in this case).

@scandinavian13 ok so I did what you suggested unfortunately it didn't work it is still pitching up and down continuously.Tremaine Yates

Using weather?Do you have a trim axis assigned?(I feel like I'm asking these questions in different posts over and over again)

Because i read some of the previous posts before,I had the trim set and I am not using any weather. I attempted to make an ils landing just noW and it was horrible due to the pitching.

Hi Tremaine,Did you load the aircraft using the PMDG load manager or did you use FSX Fuel & Cargo page? It is important that you never use the FSX menu for PMDG aircraft.

in this case i did not use the fsx and cargo page. i dont usually use it. i didnt use the pmdg load manager either because i wanted to test out the "Cessna default theory". i just select the Cessna then switch it to the pmdg 747-400 and then i flew from there.

OK.. I'm not sure what that does to your PMDG 747 cargo/fuel load to be honest. You might want to try again... Load the Cessna, turn everthing off in the Cessna (engine, battery, avionics) and then load the 744. Then open the PMDG load manager, throw in some fuel, cargo and passengers (if you're flying PAX) and try it again. See if it helps to have it loaded with the PMDG load manager.Let us know if it helps.

in this case i did not use the fsx and cargo page. i dont usually use it. i didnt use the pmdg load manager either because i wanted to test out the "Cessna default theory". i just select the Cessna then switch it to the pmdg 747-400 and then i flew from there.
FS9 or FSX?If your using FS9 you need to set the ZFW for the 744 using the PMDG Load manager & save this BEFORE starting FS...there are two types one for the PAX Version, one for the Freighter version...a tyical load is a ZFW anywhere between 224-237 tonnes for the PAX & 230-270 tonnes for the Freighter.If you are using FSX (I don't use FSX) I belive you can do this once the 744 Addon has loaded.By starting FS with the default Cessna powered down you give FS a known starting point, save a flight with the default Cessna (ENG shut down & all power OFF)at an airport and gate of your choice...by doing this you can choose this flight everytime you start FS.If you want to move location you can do this from here.THEN...load the PMDG 744/F...let everything load & once things settle select the Cold/Dark Cockpit Scenario from the PMDG drop down menu on the native FS toolbar...let it reset all the buttons & switches before moving on.THEN...as said above with FSX you can change the ZFW.THEN...load fuel via the from the PMDG drop down menu on the native FS toolbar...DO NOT use the native FS Fuel loader as this will create weight & balance issues.If you want to switch PMDG 744 models or liveries once you have engines running don't...fully close FS & restart it...don't try & load another version this will also cause issues.If you are using a WX programme do some research on known issues when using FS9 & FSX PMDG Addons...they are very realistic & while WX programmes will add to the experience they need to be squeezed & slowed down - this affects the rate at which the wind direction speed & air temperature interract with FS...this type of addon is very realistic & if the WX programme is allowed to make very sudden & drastic changes to the WX it will create issues with the addon in FS.Finally, do yourself a favour & get a fully registered copy of FSUIPC - fully calibrate you joystick/yoke/pedal combination...these devices can also interfere with the delicate autopilot simulation by creating 'excess noise' or force on the addon flight controls which cause flight issues & autopilot disconnect issues.I am beginning to sound like an old broken record again.

i'm sorry but i am trying all of these suggestions but still no success it is still pitching. what i don't get is why some users are experiencing it and not others.

Your first problem is because you need to dial in what ever altitude on the MCPYour crazy pitching is because of turbulence and how pmdg doesn't react well to it. A registered version of FSUIPC and check the disable turbulence box. Also in your fsx.cfg file you can adjust the turbulence line to be .5000 instead of 1.000

Your first problem is because you need to dial in what ever altitude on the MCPYour crazy pitching is because of turbulence and how pmdg doesn't react well to it. A registered version of FSUIPC and check the disable turbulence box. Also in your fsx.cfg file you can adjust the turbulence line to be .5000 instead of 1.000
The author has still not made clear which version of FS he is using.Actually, it is a well known fact that the FS WX engine is the issue - not the PMDG 747 config file - change that at your peril.PMDG aircraft are actually pretty realistic - its the peripherals - yokes/pedals/joysticks & WX programmes that cause the majority of issues - and because default aircraft & most addon aircraft are not realistic - you get used to a certain type of behaviour and the you install a PMDG product & bam! - Problems!A good read of the Manual is also helpful when trying to understand the systems.

i am using fsx. but what i want to know are other fsx users experiencing this problem?

The advice you received from G-CIVA is very good."Finally, do yourself a favour & get a fully registered copy of FSUIPC - fully calibrate you joystick/yoke/pedal combination...these devices can also interfere with the delicate autopilot simulation by creating 'excess noise' or force on the addon flight controls which cause flight issues & autopilot disconnect issues".

i am using fsx. but what i want to know are other fsx users experiencing this problem?
Yes,Lots.Plenty of posts...people get taken down rabbit holes due to some well intended but red herring advice too...its all in the way you boot FS, load a PMDG product from a previously saved flight in the fs default cessna, use a correctly saved PMDG Panel state, load fuel right through to getting peripherals (physical & software) calibrated & configured correctly to understanding how the various systems interact.All of the above save reading the manual & understanding the systems) will make it fly & react correctly...a liitle time & effort is all it needs.Its not a load'n go type of addon.Hundreds if not thousands also use it everyday without issues.Please don't think I am trying to be clever, rude or sarcastic because we can really help here...did you really try all of the suggestions as you mentioned earlier?