Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

The Jump to PMDG 747X and Flight Plans

Hello All --- first, let me apologize for putting up a topic that I am sure has been hit more times than a tennis ball but I do want to make an informed decision and am suffering from "newbie-ism" when it comes to the PMDG 747-400X.I am ready to make a decision on a 747 to go with, and from what I have read (hundreds of posts) that I am on the right track with the PMDG since I enjoy quality and detail.One of my primary questions is: Can I use my MSFS flight plans with the PMDG 747X? Will it take them in? If not, is there an easy way to translate them?I ask because I have much work in my plans and I would certainly want to use them with this add-on. The idea of repeating every single waypoint I have stored is not considerable.Also, if there are any comments on the quality and design of the model itself, I would enjoy hearing those too from those owners who have some "stick time" in this bird.My understanding is that it is a fairly complete redesign FOR FSX using FSX enhancements. This also is important to me. Anyway, help me with my decision please!!! All comments welcome and appreciated.Cheers / Regards, Bob Big%20Grin.gif

The problem I have always had with PMDG converters is that they never work with me. But your experience might be different. Either way, I only know of Simroutes, which takes a route that you give it, and converts it. You have to give it the waypoints, much like the 747, but then it will save in any format (LVL-D, PMDG, et al) after that (but again never works for me).As much as you don't want to, I recommend you enter the routes into the 747 FMC by hand, then on the RTE page 1, it will say CO ROUTE in the bottom right corner. Use that and it will save your route in a for-sure PMDG format.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

If your flight plans have "too many" fixes, you're definitely not entering them in correctly. To be honest, the MSFS Flight Planner is horrible and takes way too much time to create a plan. While it may take 30 min to create a plan in the Flight Planner, it would only take maybe one or two in the 744, entered by hand, as it is done out in the real world (unless the operator has stored co-routes).Most of the reason people should be buying this aircraft is for its realism. The model is accurate (no I'm not a rivet counter, I don't care - I fly inside, not outside, though it's nice to take a look outside every once in a while), the dynamics feel accurate (no actual time in a 744), and it is, if nothing else, a great procedures trainer. If realism doesn't interest you, then I wouldn't buy it. Refusing to enter in realistic routes by hand would be a disqualifier, in my opinion. One of the more robust features of the aircraft is the FMC. Not using it to its full potential is almost a crime. Then again, I think you're just viewing it from the wrong angle. While you may have put in a lot of time using whatever planner you use, hand entry doesn't take very long, provided you do it correctly (using airways, etc), and you'll come to realize how much better this system is.As an example, this is a flight plan across the country (IAD-LAX, UAL925 from last week):BLUES LDN J134 HNN J134 PKE J4 TNPAll I need to enter in is:BLUESLDNJ134 -> PKEJ4 -> TNP(and then select my arrival)That's it. Six entries. That would take me maybe a minute and a half at most.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello All --- first, let me apologize for putting up a topic that I am sure has been hit more times than a tennis ball but I do want to make an informed decision and am suffering from "newbie-ism" when it comes to the PMDG 747-400X.I am ready to make a decision on a 747 to go with, and from what I have read (hundreds of posts) that I am on the right track with the PMDG since I enjoy quality and detail.One of my primary questions is: Can I use my MSFS flight plans with the PMDG 747X? Will it take them in? If not, is there an easy way to translate them?I ask because I have much work in my plans and I would certainly want to use them with this add-on. The idea of repeating every single waypoint I have stored is not considerable.Also, if there are any comments on the quality and design of the model itself, I would enjoy hearing those too from those owners who have some "stick time" in this bird.My understanding is that it is a fairly complete redesign FOR FSX using FSX enhancements. This also is important to me. Anyway, help me with my decision please!!! All comments welcome and appreciated.Cheers / Regards, Bob Big%20Grin.gif
FSBUILD (www.fsbuild.com) creates realistic flight plans that can be imported into the FMC as well as FSX.- John

Hello All --- And Thanks for all the good feedback and info!!!!Given all this, I have downloaded the 747-400X and have gotten it up and running (it appears!) ---- enough to do some simple practice flying anyway.A few days ago, I noticed somewhere, that a group had published a manual of sorts for this specific aircraft. It was blue in color, and looked like a smaller 3-ring binder type holder.I cannot remember where I saw it, but it was clear what its purpose is, and I wonder if anyone knows the one I am referring to?? If so, I notice that PMDG also has a book of "how-to" for this aircraft as well. Any comparisons appreciated.Many thanks guys --- hopefully between a good reference book and watching some online tutorials, I can get up to speed without too much pain Big%20Grin.gif Any comments / directions???? Bob

Not just a how to. The one by PMDG is baisicly what airlines get from Boeing when they order the aircraft.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Some of the videos on YouTube show less actual knowledge and more just simple repetition of what everyone else is doing. Try to find one that actually explains why you're doing it so you know how to apply it in a non-standard condition.As far as reference material goes, I suggest the type courses from PMDG:PMDG - Documentation PageThey are at the bottom.

Kyle Rodgers

You can also have a look at Angle of Attack. They offer a very good training course for the PMDG 747 (and the MD-11 if you ever decide to get that one). I learned very much from it and I highly recommend it.Congrats on a good choice! Its a great add on!