I've got an older 9850 GTX, and I am thinking about replacing it.....my budget is substantially LOWER then back then, so how do we feel about this new budget-entry card? Will it run better then my 9850 does?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435&cm_re=GTX_550_Ti-_-14-121-435-_-Productfor a link to the product.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Well, it might be that good as my GTX 260. Maybe a bit better but you shouldn´t ecxpect wonders. You better save your money and get EVGA GTX 560TI superclocked. It´s actually the best bang for the buck.

How about this GTX460 1GB for just 10$ more John?It's a bit noisy apparently, for 170$ you have an MSI also

the 560ti isnt that bad priced to me....would it be acceptable over my 9850? Would it be an improvement?

Well, it might be that good as my GTX 260. Maybe a bit better but you shouldn´t ecxpect wonders. You better save your money and get EVGA GTX 560TI superclocked. It´s actually the best bang for the buck.

John Binner, MCDST

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Well whatever we all agree would be best for me. :) My rest of my specs are below too.

How about this GTX460 1GB for just 10$ more John?It's a bit noisy apparently, for 170$ you have an MSI also

John Binner, MCDST

Is it for FSX?The problem is that if it's for FSX, you're most likely CPU limited and it won't make a difference.

Yes, FSX.....so back to the old addage CPU vs GPU eh? LOL OK, BEST bang for the bucks then, GPU or CPU? My board will support a better CPU also.

Is it for FSX?The problem is that if it's for FSX, you're most likely CPU limited and it won't make a difference.

John Binner, MCDST

Yes, FSX.....so back to the old addage CPU vs GPU eh? LOL OK, BEST bang for the bucks then, GPU or CPU? My board will support a better CPU also.
Why don't you try a slight overclock of your GPU and see if it helps? that way you will know for sure if you are CPU limited or not.A better GPU will allow you to run higher levels of antialiasing in any case. My 460 handles 8xSQ quite wellAs for the CPU, a Phenom II x4 955 or 965BE should provide a nice performance boost. If you have a decent cooler and good ventilation you should hit some 3.8GHz. Then maybe a GPU upgrade would also pay off

Was looking at this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894&Tpk=phenom%20970I don't like to overclock and I have a FULL tower, so ventilation is fine.

Why don't you try a slight overclock of your GPU and see if it helps? that way you will know for sure if you are CPU limited or not.A better GPU will allow you to run higher levels of antialiasing in any case. My 460 handles 8xSQ quite wellAs for the CPU, a Phenom II x4 955 or 965BE should provide a nice performance boost. If you have a decent cooler and good ventilation you should hit some 3.8GHz. Then maybe a GPU upgrade would also pay off

John Binner, MCDST

Even if you don't like OCing, and it's a pitty you don't cause FSX loves it, you can save 30$ with the 955BE and give it a slight OC to 3.5GHz and you have a 970BE

Edited by dazz

Thinking for $360 I can do CPU AND GPU. :)

Even if you don't like OCing, and it's a pitty you don't cause FSX loves it, you can save 30$ with the 955BE and give it a slight OC to 3.5GHz and you have a 970BE

John Binner, MCDST

The GTX460 1GB goes for 160$ and the 955BE for 140$, so it's just 300$ reallyThe 955BE should do 3.6-3.7GHz without even tinkering with voltages

Why don't you try a mild overclock and then see if you need to throw money at the CPU upgrade? I mean you're wanting to upgrade the CPU anyway, so why not just give it a little boost and see if you notice an increase in performance.If you're willing to pull a PC apart and replace a CPU, I can't see not being willing to overclock just a tad. It sure could save you some money! Maybe. Hope I'm being too heavy on the "peer pressure". :Just Kidding:

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Just a personal preference. :) I spend enough time tinkering to try to futz with overclocking stuff. lol

Why don't you try a mild overclock and then see if you need to throw money at the CPU upgrade? I mean you're wanting to upgrade the CPU anyway, so why not just give it a little boost and see if you notice an increase in performance.If you're willing to pull a PC apart and replace a CPU, I can't see not being willing to overclock just a tad. It sure could save you some money! Maybe. Hope I'm being too heavy on the "peer pressure". :Just Kidding:

John Binner, MCDST

thanks all, I decided to do both CPU and GPU right now. :) This is what I got:GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894Now off to update the MB BIOS :P~~~~Thanks for the help! :)

John Binner, MCDST