Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

NGX Build

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MBASUS P8P67 Deluxe ATX LGA1155 P67 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard XFX 750W Black Edition Single Rail Modular ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS SilverEVGA GTX 480 (owned it with my old build)Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM FanI now need RAM. Few people helped me out and I was ready to buy but it dissappeared in my Cart!!! I think I need either 6 or 8 gig, something VERY fast and something that will support my PC at 5.0ghz. I plan to really overclock this CPU. I currently have a normal SATA 1TD Hard-Drive and I didn't get a SSD because they are really expensive and people where saying that I need to have FSX and the OS on the same SSD in order to benefit my FSX performance. Any help with the ram? I tired to find the exact same ram on another Canadian site but I cannot find any! Cheers PS: Tell me what you guys think?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

You need dual channel ram for the socket 1155. 4GB or 8GB

You need dual channel ram for the socket 1155. 4GB or 8GB
Ok so Dual Channel, 8 gig's, how fast, what Latency, how do I know it will work with my P67 board?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

When (hopefully soon) I upgrade I'm getting this http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16820231427 or the 8GB version of it.
Is it's Mhz fast enough, I thought you'd need like 2000mhz, its cheap too why?

Ron Hamilton

Is it's Mhz fast enough, I thought you'd need like 2000mhz, its cheap too why?
I'm not entirely sure the speed of the memory makes an enormous difference. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure 1600 would be enough.

1333 or 1600 is fine. In fsx it really won't make that big a difference. The lower the latency the better. I have a cas latency of 8 on my G.SKILL, and it works great.

1600 MHz is what intel recommends. I got this the other day for my build.G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CAS 7 Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-8GBXHI'll tell you now that it's not on Asus's QVL list butG.Skill recommends it for your board and it gets great reviews on the P8P67 mobos.I think the QVL needs to be updated.

Chuck Biggins

Guest cbboy

why is the p67 platorm everyones fsx choice lately. Nothing tears apart fsx like 12GB of ram and 6 cores at 4.4 GHZ on a 1366 platform

why is the p67 platorm everyones fsx choice lately. Nothing tears apart fsx like 12GB of ram and 6 cores at 4.4 GHZ on a 1366 platform
Not really. 12GB is overkill for FSX and performance doesn't scale with # of cores like that either. P67 CPU's (Sandy Bridge) have better IPC than X58 CPU's and overclock higher. Now factor price in and it's a no brainerMemory performance is also much better in P67An OCed I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz with 4GB of RAM outperforms an OCed I7 980X @ 4.4GHz by a 20-25% more or less

First of all - 12GB is a waste of money and your computer isn't even using most of it. Secondly, FSX doesn't care for 6-cores.. a 4 core Sandy bridge at 4.8ghz will easily outperform any 6-core at 4.4ghz.And to Ron, no... FSX should be on a SEPARATE drive from OS. I have my OS on a typical 500gb HDD, while FSX is on a 60gb SSD.Dazz beat me to it. :)

First of all - 12GB is a waste of money and your computer isn't even using most of it. Secondly, FSX doesn't care for 6-cores.. a 4 core Sandy bridge at 4.8ghz will easily outperform any 6-core at 4.4ghz.And to Ron, no... FSX should be on a SEPARATE drive from OS. I have my OS on a typical 500gb HDD, while FSX is on a 60gb SSD.Dazz beat me to it. :)
I'd beg to differ the 4.8GHz vs 4.4GHzThis is 2600k @ 5.1GHz vs 980x at stock 3.33GHz and hardly beats it, now throw a OC on it and your statement is just wrong.ceinbench1.png My personal Cinebench 11.5 and 11.04 @ 4.3GHz way past the 2600k @ 5.1 not even hitting 10 http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq210/StickMan2385/The%20Rig/?action=view&current=43.png980x (and 990x is out) not even behind 1.0 at the stock clock vs 2600k @ 5.1! I'm sure the 980x OC to anything over 4 would beat the 2600k still in that testSame applied for these too, step the 980x to anything over 4 and it be over the 2600ksandra-arith2.pngsandra-multi4.pngI do agree price is the best bang but not the strongest CPU even if the 2600k is clicking into 5000MHz-Raven Harris

SO is my build good or not, Its JUST for FSX. Do i screw something up?

Ron Hamilton

Raven, those are heavily threaded benchmarks. In FSX Sandy Bridge wins