Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Flight Sim is like crack? ;)

If it is an addiction?According to a lexicon crack withrdawal symptoms are described as "a little less painfull than refraining from flight sim".Christos

Ha, ha! I'll tell you something Rob...As an ex and recovering addict/alcoholic myself, you're actually VERY close to the mark and, as someone else said, FS can be more expensive. I used to have free access to booze! Now, I only wish I had free access to payware addons :( I have, without doubt, an addictive personality, and flight simming sits right up there at the top of the heap these days.I think I should be given shares in some addon companies :( I also have a pretty heavy duty medical condition that sometimes stops me simming for months :( Since about 2005, the longest without FS was almost 6 months whilst recovering from surgery. I too had dreams...Nuts... Me... Yup!

Now, I only wish I had free access to payware addons :(
Don't we all? LOL.gif

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Tell me about it....the other day I found myself trying to smoke my joystick.

I've been without FS for about 8 days and I'm going crazy!I really hate homework and a part-time job taking up all my free time.I just want to get into the MD-11 and push the throttles forward, and pull back on the yoke - lifting the nose into the sky! :)

due to the earthquake in Japan I have evacuated to England. No fs BUT Im gonna have real flight lessons here! But Im having sezures since its 3 days away and usally I can last when I come to England but I cant stop thinking about flight sim

Once I was away for 9 weeks. I am 12, and I have been playing since I was 4. This long period of 9 weeks without FS was hardCry.gif!

I always saw myself more or less addicted to FSX, always planning my next few jumps well ahead of time, going through the motions of getting charts, just loving to fly those more unique procedures, doing everything I could to mimic real life ops, and the more complete payware aircraft have gotten the more I love to fly in FSX....but then I got my hands on this:http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/For me anyway, it is about 1,000 times more addicting. Haven't touched FSX for about a month.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I always saw myself more or less addicted to FSX, always planning my next few jumps well ahead of time, going through the motions of getting charts, just loving to fly those more unique procedures, doing everything I could to mimic real life ops, and the more complete payware aircraft have gotten the more I love to fly in FSX....but then I got my hands on this:http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/For me anyway, it is about 1,000 times more addicting. Haven't touched FSX for about a month.
I have always wanted to look into the space shuttle simulation, are the systems simulated to the same degree as PMDG? My problem with that sim is I just don't have the time to dedicate myself and truly understand how that amazing machine works. I know nothing about the technology on the space shuttle. Still have to wait till May before I learn the new DCS A10 sim and that will be a challenge in itself!

Rob Prest

FS was a huge addiction for me but once i started flying the real sim that kind of went away! But i still use it sometimes and im actually really lookingforward what the new NGX will bring! The pmdg is the only thing im actually using in FS!cheers!Nick

I have always wanted to look into the space shuttle simulation, are the systems simulated to the same degree as PMDG? My problem with that sim is I just don't have the time to dedicate myself and truly understand how that amazing machine works. I know nothing about the technology on the space shuttle.
The learning curve is not as steep as one might thing. The program displays your checklist on screen and there is even a way to have it point to the correct button. And one thing great about NASA is that all their panels are labeled with a position so it makes it easy to ready what you are supposed to do and know where to look. Of course once you get the hang of it you can turn all that stuff off.As far as systems go, it simulates a good deal, but SSMS is not like FSX where you load up an orbiter, strap it onto the ET and SRBs and go off and do your own thing. You are flying the real missions that these shuttles flew. You are flying at the orbits they did, deploying the sats they did, capturing the sats they did, if they docked at the ISS, you do that too. So while the main computer will display the functions for launch aborts and engine out aborts, these missions you are flying did not encounter these situations, so there for no, you cannot do them. However, if that mission in real life did encounter a problem, such as a OMS getting damaged during lift off, or early engine cut out, that is simmed, and you have to deal with it accordingly just as the real crews did. And just like with any addon using systems you are not familiar with in FSX, once you get the hang of how the computers work in the shuttle, you will feel right at home real quick.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Oh my God, I'm going over to Europe for 5 weeks in the middle of the year. I know I am going to have withdrawal symptoms. They should have Flight Sim Cafes, with all the latest adds-ons. Where am I going? Greece, Rome, Paris and then to England. I'm just hoping to run into an airshow somewhere. Mind you i think my first flight is on a 747. Can't wait.