Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Do I have the right SSD? (+ system questions)

I'm finalizing my SB build (just waiting for the later B3 revisioned boards) and instead of my original plan to install FSX on the SSD (too much money still/GB) I decided that I would still enjoy having the OS load at lightning speed. I'd like to get this Mushkin SSD 40GB:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226168Any issues with it? Do I need to get mounting hardware so it will fit in my HDD bay (which btw I'm going with the new Corsair 650D case)? Is 40GB enough for a Win7 Ultimate installation? Do I need any other SSD-specific hardware for it? I've heard guys talk about controllers... what are those and do I need one?Also, my plan is to get a large mechanical hdd, something like this seagate:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148636And then put FSX and my other games and software on that one. I have two 7200rpm drives in my current build so does anyone think I should just install FSX only on the new drive if I do get it? Or is it safe to put FSX+software on one drive? I don't use a lot of stuff... I use GIMP, HP printer software, iTunes, Skype etc plus all my various flight sim addons. Also the main drive will be on a network so my wife's laptop and PS3 can access our photos and videos etc.The build should cost around $1800 without monitor. I'm still deciding on whether or not I'm keeping my (dated) Viewsonic 19in 1280x1024 LCD or go with widescreen. WS doesn't look right while flying in the VC... a person's FOV is never as wide as WS monitors display... Ughh Also I use DVI for connection does HDMI look a lot better for FSX? Then I probably would switch to WS format. Most likely it will be this Asus montitor:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117Some questions I have for the system too:Corsair 650D caseP67 mobo (probably ASUS, not a lot of choices right now, ideas?)i5 2500K cpuNoctua DH14 cooler (I'm torn between this and the Corsair H70 intending to OC to 4.5 hopefully)evga GTX570 (I thought about a 560 ti - what's the difference?)Mushkin 40GB SSDSeagate Baracuda 2TB hddMushkin redline 2x4GB PC3 1600 cas 7-9-8-24 (since I will be OCing do I need something faster?)Lite On Blu ray burnerSeasonic X850 PSUplus my trusty AS5 since my previous stuff dried up lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hey, you´re also plan to upgrade. Nice. You´ve choosen pritty the same things I will get in a few months. I´ll get the same CPU. Only one thing would I change: take the P8P67 PRO MOBO. It´s just some more $ and therefore it has a better LAN controller. Maybe you could tell me afterwards how you´ve oc´ed the CPU and how the whole systems performs?I also think that 40GB are a bit too small for a OS installation. What´s with this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233108 Corsair, not that expensive and 64 GB. My system uses for OS arround 45 GB, so 40 might fit, but is the SSD is that full, the speed will suffer. It´s better to have a bit room left.Or this one, it´s a bit faster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820118004

Interesting that Corsair Nova has reviews of people saying you can't boot/install Win7 on it, initially.How would I go about doing this?Also, I probably won't be buying until Late May, per NickN's post at Simforums...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

CrucialReal C300 for me, also comes in 64 gigz I believe. They made them very small, you can tuck it anywhere in the case.Mushkin ram are my favourite. They do come a bit faster timingwise, like Redline 6-8-6-24. 1600 Mhz is fine, just make sure you land ón approx. 1600 so not to destabilize, Got mine at 1650-ish as far as I recall. Enter voltage, and timings manually.Bjorn

CrucialReal C300 for me, also comes in 64 gigz I believe. They made them very small, you can tuck it anywhere in the case.Mushkin ram are my favourite. They do come a bit faster timingwise, like Redline 6-8-6-24. 1600 Mhz is fine, just make sure you land ón approx. 1600 so not to destabilize, Got mine at 1650-ish as far as I recall. Enter voltage, and timings manually.Bjorn
Thanks! Did yours work for Win7 installation? It also looks like its micro sata... would I need an adapter for that?Hmmm, edit, after reading more reviews I think I'm going for the Zalman 64GB N series...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Any other comments on the proposed system?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Guest firehawk44

I see no problems with the SSD. Just make sure the case you put it in has a HD adapter so that it will fit in the HD bay properly. There are some cases that will take either 3.5 or 2.5 HD. I think most of the latest cases have both sizes as SSD's are becoming more and more popular. But if you have an old case you're putting these in, then you should probably look for a conversion kit. I enjoy my SSD and I think the technology is great. It does allow for faster boots. So far I have not found any bad reviews of the SSD. Not too many people go out and buy a GTX 570 and a 560 ti and then look at the difference. So your best bet to answer that question is to Google GTX570 vs 560TI and you should get a lot of reviews or discussions. I'm impartial to the ASUS P67 Deluxe. With a click of a button or two you can easily overclock your system to around 4.2 GHz to 4.4 GHz automatically. There are plenty of websites that provide the proper settings to overclock it faster such as the info at the following link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265398.I see no problems with your choices. You'll enjoy your new system for sure as FSX runs well on it without any tweaks offered by NickN or anyone else.Best regards,Jim

Ryan,If you want the increased load times and texture loading, you will need an SSD for FSX.You OS will boot up faster, but FSX will not.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Ryan,If you want the increased load times and texture loading, you will need an SSD for FSX.You OS will boot up faster, but FSX will not.
I know but I've seen people with much faster systems and their FSX loads up pretty fast. Heck anything is fast compared to what mine takes now. If I do a fresh start FSX will take at least 5 min to load up lol!It's too expensive right now imho... I could always get an SSD later. The build will cost just under 2 grand and I doubt my wife will let me go any more LOL!
I'm impartial to the ASUS P67 Deluxe. With a click of a button or two you can easily overclock your system to around 4.2 GHz to 4.4 GHz automatically. There are plenty of websites that provide the proper settings to overclock it faster such as the info at the following link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265398
Hmmm that's another 100 bucks.... I could stretch I suppose, maybe get the ti instead of the current board I listed. I do like Asus I had their socket 939 deluxe amd mobo back when I first got this rig. Are you talking about in-windows overclocking? I thought we were supposed to do it via BIOS?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Hmmm that's another 100 bucks.... I could stretch I suppose, maybe get the ti instead of the current board I listed. I do like Asus I had their socket 939 deluxe amd mobo back when I first got this rig. Are you talking about in-windows overclocking? I thought we were supposed to do it via BIOS?
Yes, Asus ships some programms with the MOBO which allow overclocking without touching the BIOS. I did so cause I´m a complete noob on such things. But ths BIOS is better for tuning special things like the voltages.Do I have to change the voltages manually if I want to oc an i5-2500k to arround 4,5 or can I just set it on auto?

I know that a lot of people are running 1.6v RAM without issue so far; however I question the need when the chip is rated for 1.5v There are several good 1.5v sticks available. I understand running 1.6v if you already own the RAM but if having to buy it I personally would stick with the manufacturers rating. With the way the SB handles memory there is very little difference in performance based on speed,1600 is ample for your purpose.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.