Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Where are key assignments stored.

I am doing reinstall and I think I backed up all necessary folders.Where are my keyboard assignments stored?Which files do I need to copy over?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I am doing reinstall and I think I backed up all necessary folders.Where are my keyboard assignments stored?Which files do I need to copy over?Thanks,Ron
Ron, They are stored in the standard.xml file in C:\Users\your_account_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Ron, They are stored in the standard.xml file in C:\Users\your_account_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls
Thanks for that.So I copy my backup standar.xml file in controls to the new controls folder after reinstalling FSX?Ron

Yep. You can actually have any number of named .xml files to match any number of selectable fsx.cfg's if you wish. In the [Controls] section of the fsx.cfg you put in the name of the controls file you want to use, having renamed a Standard.xml to that new name: Edit that xml's file header and fsx will use that control setup, so if you are switching from, say an A2A B17 to a B727 or a BirDog you might want three fsx.cfg's along with three control xml's.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yep. You can actually have any number of named .xml files to match any number of selectable fsx.cfg's if you wish. In the [Controls] section of the fsx.cfg you put in the name of the controls file you want to use, having renamed a Standard.xml to that new name: Edit that xml's file header and fsx will use that control setup, so if you are switching from, say an A2A B17 to a B727 or a BirDog you might want three fsx.cfg's along with three control xml's.
Thanks for the additional info.That will come in handy.

I copied my old standar.xml file into controls and the key assignments did not change.Still default.Do I remove default standard.xml first?Thanks,Ron

I copied my old standar.xml file into controls and the key assignments did not change.Still default.Do I remove default standard.xml first?Thanks,Ron
No. Have an fsx.cfg configured as a 'default' file, along with a 'default' standard.xml. Save this somewhere as a backup. This will contain all the "good" config info that your regular, Cessna 172 default has, and will be using the Standard.xml. For the rest of it, and a batch file:-

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.