Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

Having OC issues with Replacement Sandy Bridge MB

Just installed my replacement Asus Sabertooth P67 and am having trouble overclocking it. Got my original board to 4.8 mhz without any issues at all. Made all of the same adjustments in the Bios but OC doesn't seem to work. The strange thing is that the overclock doesn't fail. The system boots fine, but the CPU speed does not increase. When I reenter the Bios the OC settings are still the same but the speed is still 3.4 mhz. I tried reinstalling the chipset drivers to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Giblin

Just installed my replacement Asus Sabertooth P67 and am having trouble overclocking it. Got my original board to 4.8 mhz without any issues at all. Made all of the same adjustments in the Bios but OC doesn't seem to work. The strange thing is that the overclock doesn't fail. The system boots fine, but the CPU speed does not increase. When I reenter the Bios the OC settings are still the same but the speed is still 3.4 mhz. I tried reinstalling the chipset drivers to no avail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Try BIOS update.Try complete BIOS reset.Is it EFI or standard?If all fails, I suggest returning it and requesting a replacement.

Try BIOS update.Try complete BIOS reset.Is it EFI or standard?If all fails, I suggest returning it and requesting a replacement.
It's EFI. Board came loaded with latest bios update which is newer than what was on old board. I'll try to reflash. Is it possible to go backwards?

Steve Giblin

It's EFI. Board came loaded with latest bios update which is newer than what was on old board. I'll try to reflash. Is it possible to go backwards?
Yes you can always go bachward, newer bios does not always = better perf.There is a new bios for my mobo but I don't need it cause the one I have is 100% stable.

It's a long shot but, I've had a similar experience. Try using the 4pin ATX12v cpu connector from the power supply, or the 8 pin if already using the 4pin.I dunno if it's my power supply or the motherboard, but when I experimented with the 8pin connector I got unexpected cpu voltages and the cpu would not turbo.

It's a long shot but, I've had a similar experience. Try using the 4pin ATX12v cpu connector from the power supply, or the 8 pin if already using the 4pin.I dunno if it's my power supply or the motherboard, but when I experimented with the 8pin connector I got unexpected cpu voltages and the cpu would not turbo.
Interesting...I think I plugged 2 four pins into the 8 pin socket....don't think i did that last time...I'll give it a try.

Steve Giblin

Tried the bios update....would not allow me to go backward...and checked the power connector. Still won't overclock. I posted on the Asus forum but have had no replies. I guess I'll try to contact Asus support. Bummer, everything was working sooo well before the replacement.

Steve Giblin

Did you try a clear CMOS as Word Not Allowed suggested, Steve?

Tried the bios update....would not allow me to go backward...and checked the power connector. Still won't overclock. I posted on the Asus forum but have had no replies. I guess I'll try to contact Asus support. Bummer, everything was working sooo well before the replacement.
This is very unusual behaviour. Going backwards has always been a possibility. That is what BIOS update IS for.Did you successfully flash the current BIOS OVER the current one? Eg. reflash?If it does not work, then the mobo is broken, easy explained.

For Asus, it is not possible (without major surgery) to flash back from 1305 bios to an earlier version because the earlier bios(s) do not work with the updated MB's. You can flash the non-updated boards with 1305 and later but then it it also very difficult to go back.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

For Asus, it is not possible (without major surgery) to flash back from 1305 bios to an earlier version because the earlier bios(s) do not work with the updated MB's. You can flash the non-updated boards with 1305 and later but then it it also very difficult to go back.
Ahh ok, that is a new thing with the B3 mobos. Usually on all other, you could have always switch back to any BIOS you wanted.But seriously, if BIOS is not changing the CPU speed, even after reflash, then it's broken, can't be anything else.

Actually, it's a bios thing starting with 1305 on either the B2 or B3. Meaning, if you're still using the B2, like me, and update to 1305 you will not be able to flash back ...without major surgery.

Have not tried clearing CMOS yet...will give it a try...Have a tech support email in with Asus. Haven't heard back yet. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Steve Giblin

Cleared CMOS....no change. Must have a bad board.:Cry:

Steve Giblin

Doesn't it void your warranty admiting you are OCing to ASUS support?