Sign in to follow this  
kjjj11223344

Rex and fps

How bad is the fps hit in fsx with Rex. I have on some sites that it increases the fps but on some i've read that the fps are decreased. So does it increase the fps or decrease?

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

hey there it depends on a number of things. i have just got rex 2 days ago and its amazing so far with the clouds etc havent yet seen a sunset hoping to see it on tonights flight,anyway to your questioni do in built up areas such as my ftx australia and rex2.0 see a fps drop to around 14-15fps during takeoff and landing however it is still perfectly flyable and one u get to around 2000ft im bk up near the 20'shere is a picture of rex and pmdg 747 my flight sim maxxed out with a fps limiter set to 30fps it is worth the fps drop its a must have addon i will be landing in manhattan x around 12pm tonight i will post another screenshot with rex and the pmdg 747 to show you the fps around a highly detailed addon scenery

How bad is the fps hit in fsx with Rex. I have on some sites that it increases the fps but on some i've read that the fps are decreased. So does it increase the fps or decrease?
It can both increase FPS and decrease FPS based on the following.You can gain FPS by installing the DXT cloud textures vs the 32bit textures using resolutions like the 1024X1024 sets. Also installing the DXT water textures can proably yield a small gain. However, if you start using larger cloud set textures in 2048X2048 or 4096X4096 you cloud possibily see a drop in FPS depending on how much/fast your ram and video card are, or even worse if you select those size textures in 32bit formant. I have tried all resolutions of REX clouds sets from the 512's to the 4096's, and for me using the 1024's seems to give good resolution and looks while maintaining great FPS. Plus the fact that if you use larger sets and set the FSX.cfg to reflect those sizes, the setting will be reset if you open the FSX menu in flight to make an adjustment. Frankly, even though the 4096's look good, I really cant tell that much difference between those and the 1024's.You may also see a drop in FPS if your using the REX online weather since it will have the possibility of depicting more cloud layers than the default FSX weather system can. Same could be said for using another weather program like ASE if you let it generate too many cloud layers. Also its possible that if your running REX weather in the background on the same computer its possible that it could contribute to less system resources being available for FSX, although that should be negligible provided you have a fairly descent system.Personally what I have done to get the most increase from REX is use the 1024 DTX clouds as well as the DXT water textures. I have never used the REX weather since I am running ASE on a networked computer and have it set to only generate up to 4 layers of clouds. I also generally only set cloud draw distance to 100 miles or less to gain a little more overhead.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

With your specs, I wouldn't worry about performance. REX 2 Overdrive, IMHO is a must have for FSX. It's at the top of my list.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've read so many good reviews about Rex that I'm thinking about buying it. And yes, I get good fps with my system but with fsdreamteam's kfll, if I use a more advanced plane, my frames are in the high teens but sometimes dip into the low teens.

hey there it depends on a number of things. i have just got rex 2 days ago and its amazing so far with the clouds etc havent yet seen a sunset hoping to see it on tonights flight,anyway to your questioni do in built up areas such as my ftx australia and rex2.0 see a fps drop to around 14-15fps during takeoff and landing however it is still perfectly flyable and one u get to around 2000ft im bk up near the 20'shere is a picture of rex and pmdg 747 my flight sim maxxed out with a fps limiter set to 30fps it is worth the fps drop its a must have addon i will be landing in manhattan x around 12pm tonight i will post another screenshot with rex and the pmdg 747 to show you the fps around a highly detailed addon scenery
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what your fsx settings are since we have basically the same CPUs (same clock and my has ht off) and I like how I like the balance between looks andFps you have on your sim.

Alfredo Terrero

Thanks for the replies guys. I've read so many good reviews about Rex that I'm thinking about buying it. And yes, I get good fps with my system but with fsdreamteam's kfll, if I use a more advanced plane, my frames are in the high teens but sometimes dip into the low teens.Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what your fsx settings are since we have basically the same CPUs (same clock and my has ht off) and I like how I like the balance between looks andFps you have on your sim.
I think the problem at KFLL is not with FSDT, but with FSX itself. I remember reading that lowering the scenery density to normal when approaching FLL makes a huge difference performance wise(it worked for me). As far as I know it doesn't remove anything from the actual FSDT scenery, but removes some very FPS hungry default objects.Worth a try.

I think the problem at KFLL is not with FSDT, but with FSX itself. I remember reading that lowering the scenery density to normal when approaching FLL makes a huge difference performance wise(it worked for me). As far as I know it doesn't remove anything from the actual FSDT scenery, but removes some very FPS hungry default objects.Worth a try.
I will try that. I knew something was going on because at other airports like kjfk, my fps increases from the default kjfk..

Alfredo Terrero

I will try that. I knew something was going on because at other airports like kjfk, my fps increases from the default kjfk..
In my experience it's very dependent on the conditions. In heavy weather, it brings my rig (i7 ocd to 4 gigs, good video card, 6 megs of ram) close to a stand-still. Single digit frames in a complex plane. 10 - 12 with a simple plane. Fromo a technology point of view, we are just on the cusp of computers that can handle complex scenerey, airplanes and weather simultaneosly, whlle deliver fluid frames above 20. so, as FSX has been since day 1, trade-offs are required. Colin WareSeattle

That's correct. It's because of the horribly un-optimized cranes and ships in the docks parked in view of the approach to 9L and to some part 9R. What I did for FSDT's KFLL was take the ADE file that came with the airport and put some exclude boxes where those cranes and ships are that way I dont need to lower my Scenery Density slider for that one particular area, since that not only takes out the ships and cranes, but also some of the high rise buildings in downtown Ft. Lauderdale.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator