Sign in to follow this  
PierreFSX

Instrument panel not dynamically update with info

Hi,I am just starting to flight the MD-11 and once more you have done a terrific job with this plan. I am an old advocate of your 747 and I am very amazed to see all the details that was put in the MD-11, wonder full airliner. I am, like a lot of simmer, patiently waiting for the 737 NGX release. I use a multi monitor setup and I like flying with both VC and 2D views (together), for the 747 I put the VC view on my triplehead2go setup and I use the instrument panel option to display the dashboard on two separate screens. For the instrument I do not use a FSX view, such as cockpit view, so no fsx view is active on top of the instrument panel (see attach picture). I notice that I cannot do this with the MD-11 version, if I only display the instrument the info for the instrument is not getting refreshed on the screen. It is like the instruments are static and not dynamic. The only way that I was able to get around this was to have an active FSX view (Cockpit) open. It is not the best solution, because when I use the VC view on my triplehead2go setup the instrument view, because it no longer active become static again, so I have to switch back and make it active again to get the dynamic refresh working. I also notice that the VC (virtual Cockpit View) even if it’s not active it stays dynamic, the instrument are updated live. Finally, if I adjust, for example, the altitude using the knob on the 2d instrument panel view and the window is not the active one, I can see the altitude level number changing on the VC and it is not changing on the instrument view. Not sure if I make myself clear enough. Am I missing something? Should I be able to do the same screen setup in MD-11 then I have in the 747? Or did something change?I have include a picture of my setting that I use with the 747. If you look at the bottom screen, I have the instrument panel open but I do not have a FSX view running (Dark section). I can not seem to have this with the MD-11, if I reproduce the same setup, the instrument are static and doesn't recive any update info from FSX.Thanks, Any suggestion will help

Pierre Nantel
Asus Prime Z490-A | Intel I9-10900K  | 32 Gb Corsair 2666Mhz DDR4 | 2XSamsung 960 M.2 SSD | Asus GF GTX 1080 ti turbo 11 GB | Win 10 | Prepar3D 5.3 HF1 | AS/ASCA | EFB 2 | PF3 | MCE | PMDG 747-777 |  Twin Otter | Q400 | Aerosoft Airbus series

The bug is in FSX, and it happens if the windows focus changes such as opening a map view or a menu. The instruments will freeze when the focus returns to the main panel. Just press A then Shift+A to change camera back and forth once and everything will resume.

Dan Downs KCRP

The bug is in FSX, and it happens if the windows focus changes such as opening a map view or a menu. The instruments will freeze when the focus returns to the main panel. Just press A then Shift+A to change camera back and forth once and everything will resume.
Ok thanks, I am surprised that this is not occurring with the PMGD 747 FSX version, something must have changed in the way they programmed the 2D instrument panel ? It is very annoying to have to refresh the instrument panel all the time. Especially when you are taking off or landing, those are busy time for the pilot and you are never sure when you lose the dynamic update versus when it become static. I hope the 737 GNX will not have the same issue. There is obviously a way around this because the 747 version doesn’t have that bug. Pierre

Pierre Nantel
Asus Prime Z490-A | Intel I9-10900K  | 32 Gb Corsair 2666Mhz DDR4 | 2XSamsung 960 M.2 SSD | Asus GF GTX 1080 ti turbo 11 GB | Win 10 | Prepar3D 5.3 HF1 | AS/ASCA | EFB 2 | PF3 | MCE | PMDG 747-777 |  Twin Otter | Q400 | Aerosoft Airbus series

I've seen it in the 747 running FSX.

Dan Downs KCRP

It is strange, I never add that problem with the 747 before and I have been flying since the FSX version was released. Do I still need to have an active view with the instrument panel? What I do with the 747 is:- I always start FSX in full mode and in cockpit view (2D) (on the bottom screen)- Then I open a second view for the VC and move it to the Triplehead2go (3 middle monitors)- Then I close the cockpit view on the bottom screen - Then I open the instrument Panel from the View option (no active view) on the bottom screen- Then I open the overhead view from the Panel Switching Device and move it to the top right screenAt that point I am ready to start the normal procedure check list, and every panels are dynamically update. It doesn’t seem that this process and setup works with the MD-11, should it worked? Pierre

Pierre Nantel

Hi,I have contacted PMDG technical support and they confirmed that for the MD11 for FSX they did change de way the 2D and VC were programmed, you can’t no longer use 2D and the VC together without losing the dynamic refresh of the 2D. This problem doesn’t exist in the 747 FSX and is not FSX related. The only way to have the two working is to set the VC and then set the 2D (2D needs to be the active view) , if you do not change the view in the VC during the flight, then it will work. This is very limiting because you cannot use any other view during the flight. For example I use the top view to taxi, so switching from the VC to Top View will make the 2D not active anymore. Thanks

Pierre Nantel

Howdy All ----Well, I just bought the MD-11 and am enjoying the learning process of the new aircraft. One of the first things I tested when I got the bird loaded up, was to look for this problem.The reason for my sensitivity to it, is that I have three other very fine add-on aircraft for FSX that do exactly the same thing. Exactly.I see it a lot since much of my flying of larger aircraft is high-altitude, long range flying which seems to bring out this problem. Many people have experienced it and it is real disappointing in such fine add-ons. Based on all the comments I have seen, and my own experiences with it, it appears to be buried in FSX code, and I don't think it is either understood by the addon community and as such, is not being worked around.Some suppliers of addons just avoid any mention of the problem all together. My fear is that the problem is buried in hard code that designers must use, and that is why we keep seeing it.Well, I will just have to work around it by changing the display now and then. It would be nice if someone does get lucky and finds a codable workaround that kills the problem.Cheers to all, and I am back to having fun learning the MD-11 and its systems. :( Bob