Sign in to follow this  
Jen

MD-11 (Questionable Failure)

Yesterday during a flight I had the failure rate set pretty high and encountered a caution light that turned into a low oil pressure reading of 9 psi on the gauge. However, I did not shut down the engine because the oil temperature was in-line with the other engines and the EGT was within the normal range. I did have a subsequent engine failure and was able to land at the nearest airport. Is this type of scenerio programmed within the MD-11 software? If so, the NGX is going to be very hard to beat this beast.Regards,jack nouletSorry about that.....I should have stated that I DID NOT have a subsequent engine failure....:( Regards,jack noulet

The MD-11 is a full-study simulation and does include extensive fault tree logic.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think Robert posted awhile back that the NGX failure engine was even more extensive. As he explained, if I recall, let's say your low oil pressure here was due to some valve being stuck or something, and the proper treatment was to flip the valve back and forth three times (or whatever). If you do that, then the problem only gets so much worse, or goes away. If you don't do that, then it moves onto what happens if you don't fix the problem (fire/failure/whatever). Obviously, I haven't played with it personally, but, that's my understanding of what it should roughly look like. Should be great.

PMDG is redesigning every feature and option to improve the realism within their upcoming software, including failure setting, so you can expect anything. I think the NGX will 'easily' beat any of their previous software. As Doug said just above, Randazzo already gave informations about how different some features are. He said the failure options will have a entirely new logic.

Matheus Mafra

I think Robert posted awhile back that the NGX failure engine was even more extensive. As he explained, if I recall, let's say your low oil pressure here was due to some valve being stuck or something, and the proper treatment was to flip the valve back and forth three times (or whatever). If you do that, then the problem only gets so much worse, or goes away. If you don't do that, then it moves onto what happens if you don't fix the problem (fire/failure/whatever). Obviously, I haven't played with it personally, but, that's my understanding of what it should roughly look like. Should be great.
I did check my copy of the QRH for Low Oil Pressure and it stated: "Engine oil pressure is at or below the redline: Go to the Engine Failure or Shutdown checklist on page 7.14. I wonder why no mention was indicated to do a cross-check of the Oil Temperature and EGT for the affected engine??Regards,jack nouletOOPS....I was looking at the NGX QRH......Nail%20Biting.gif Sorry about that.Regards,jack noulet

I did check my copy of the QRH for Low Oil Pressure and it stated: "Engine oil pressure is at or below the redline: Go to the Engine Failure or Shutdown checklist on page 7.14. I wonder why no mention was indicated to do a cross-check of the Oil Temperature and EGT for the affected engine??
Not to say that one should blindly follow the checklist as it leads you into the side of a mountain, but I wouldn't stop too long to question the situation if the manufacturer says to shut down the engine. I'm sure a bit of thought goes into any checklist that directs you to shut down an engine. Yes you may get to use the engine a bit longer, but when it's suffered long term damage, what are you going to tell the chief pilot? You thought the checklist was wrong?Again, I'm not saying to blindly follow the paper. If you were in a situation where a two engine driftdown was undesirable, (for eg, in mountainous terrain) you may decide against following the checklist.

Not to say that one should blindly follow the checklist as it leads you into the side of a mountain, but I wouldn't stop too long to question the situation if the manufacturer says to shut down the engine. I'm sure a bit of thought goes into any checklist that directs you to shut down an engine. Yes you may get to use the engine a bit longer, but when it's suffered long term damage, what are you going to tell the chief pilot? You thought the checklist was wrong?Again, I'm not saying to blindly follow the paper. If you were in a situation where a two engine driftdown was undesirable, (for eg, in mountainous terrain) you may decide against following the checklist.
Very true...Thanks for the commentary. Regards,jack noulet