Sign in to follow this  
tnorton776

MD-11 Climb Performance issues

This may be POSSIBLE. I would like to point out my father used to fly MD-11's for Delta back in the 90's and he's shown me how it works, and according to the manuals, and McDonnell Douglas's recommendation, you weren't allowed to land on any runway less than 8,000ft unless it was an emergency. He says it has one of the fastest approach speeds of any airliner, thats why FedEx wrecks so many.

Inactive

Hi Guy`s,The MD11 is a great aircraft but you have to stay in the envelope written in the FCTM`s.Means load your aircraft within the limitations hevy/light doe not matter but watch you ZFW cg and TOW cg, they should be at a middle value between the upper and lower limit.Next is determine how much thurst you need to get of a given runway/runway conditions.This is to determine your derate temp, otherwise known as reduced thurst T/OThe MD11 is overpowerd so i can make short trips light and use short runway`s KLM uses the MD!! even for stretchec AUA-CUR 15min airtime CUR-BON visa versa.The highest climb rate i exoerienced vas in excess of 6000ft/min, but speed hold at V2+20.The MD11 has the highest pitch during T/O and initial Climb around 22 deg pitch up.That is what you see when watching a MD11 takes off,.I use Top Cat take of performance tool to determine my assumed temp for a derate T/O , KLM does not use TO2 or TO1, clb power is left for the FMC in prof mode.To be short , load your MD11 according the FCTM and AOM obey the cg values, determine the FUEL load(can be Topcat) and use topcat for asumed temeratue for a derate T/O and you will be ok.My clb rates are between 1000 and 2000 ft/min for clb above fl200 and during step climb`ssincerly,Bob Cornett

FedEx has wrecked about one MD-11 freighter every year for the past couple years. Off and on its a DC-10, but mostly the MD-11s.

Inactive

FedEx has wrecked about one MD-11 freighter every year for the past couple years. Off and on its a DC-10, but mostly the MD-11s.
Huh? Did I miss something?

Markus Burkhard

Huh? Did I miss something?
Nope, you missed nothing, welcome to the internet 2011. So much uninformed rubbish it's not even funny, my only issue is this kind of garbage is spreading to real world aviation sites by flight simmers :(

Rob Prest

Nope, you missed nothing, welcome to the internet 2011. So much uninformed rubbish it's not even funny, my only issue is this kind of garbage is spreading to real world aviation sites by flight simmers :(
Apparently having a father who previously flew them does not necessarily mean having respect for them.

Kyle Rodgers

Nonsense. Utter, unverified nonsense. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the stats, and I count 4 incidents in the last 10 years, none of them in sequential years. I count 4 in the preceding decade as well, one of which was a hijacking, and one of which was a cargo fire in which the aircraft held together until it was safely on the ground and the crew had evacuated.Spartan, with all due respect to your Dad, his career in NO way reflects in your own knowledge of the subject.Sorry if I seem cranky about this, but this is the second thread I've read this afternoon containing wild accusations or allegations of unsafe procedures/products in the industry. I would have thought that as simmers we ought to be doing what we can to educate people about the statistically excellent safety record of the industry we're so enthusiastic about.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Well put, and if anything, the aircraft with the reputation would be the DC-10, but those issues have been dealt with through ADs and the like. Furthermore, most choose to ignore this, but the 747 also had its own rash of issues at one point.

Kyle Rodgers

Apparently having a father who previously flew them does not necessarily mean having respect for them.
Father, uncle, friend, brother in law, neighbor, etc. - there is a very good chance it is all BS.

Father, uncle, friend, brother in law, neighbor, etc. - there is a very good chance it is all BS.
Zing! Agreed. Glad I'm not the only one around these parts.

Kyle Rodgers

I to have climb performance issues. It could be because I'm inputting something wrong, cause I've just reinstalled the MD-11 and it should have no bugs.Pax: 150Fuel: 85000LBCI: 200FL:375When I'm climbing I can bearly get over the yellow tape and can't get to my climb speed nor cruise speed. At FL375 I'm stuck at 236IAS with a AT setting of 275IAS.Any help would be appreciated.

I to have climb performance issues. It could be because I'm inputting something wrong, cause I've just reinstalled the MD-11 and it should have no bugs.Pax: 150Fuel: 85000LBCI: 200FL:375When I'm climbing I can bearly get over the yellow tape and can't get to my climb speed nor cruise speed. At FL375 I'm stuck at 236IAS with a AT setting of 275IAS.Any help would be appreciated.
Check your SAT & TAT a weather program could be causing high temps. Normally an issue found with FSINN weather

Rob Prest