Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

NAVDATA cycle over

Guest mak

As posted on www.navdata.at, the navdata cycle is over. I am sure we all thank richard stefan for his work. But i didnt want to dedicate it to thank him (of course you can do if you wish), but to start an open discussion about what should be the definitive solution on the navdata update problem.The easiest way would be microsoft providing ( us with this functinality. Make a navdata architecture for the sim, and ease its update and access from third party developers. But we all know microsoft its not very integrated in the comunity.But whatever the solution is, I think it should be centered in the fsim. For example i like the idea of an app updating the navdata of the fsim and offering a plugin system for third parties to obtain this navdata in the format desired. The user would need to produce each addonn navdata.And i also like the idea of only updating the fsim navdata, and provide a dll with the functionality of reading this navdata for developers. Users would only need to worry about updating the fsim, and then the addons would read it and save it in the format they prefer, like fsnavigator does. The problem here is that sid and star info is not included in fsim navdata.So any ideas on this issue?mak.

Guest Muppet22

Firstly many thanks to Richard for providing such an invaluable source over the past few years.My idea is to make Navdata payware. If you take FS quite seriously then you will realise it's almost a neccessity, especially for those of us in Europe where airac related changes happen on a very regular basis. To me this is worth paying for as a) the data will be bang on accurate (or at least it should be if you're paying for it) and :( it is a vital neccessity to realism. I would have no issues with paying say an annual subscription of say

Guest GrahamB

I agree. I'd be more than willing to pay a user fee to keep the service!

Guest Fortress

>I agree. I'd be more than willing to pay a user fee to keep>the service! Yep - I'm with ya on this one.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/cin.gifwww.bavirtual.co.uk/cin.htm - please give generously!!Officially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Okay so I understand the answer to freeware bashing morons is making stuff payware? I don't think so. Read carefully what Richard said and you see it's about that a hobby is being done at it's own pace and that it's his wish that people respect that. Making stuff payware doesn't solve disrespect nor does it give Richard more time, unless he wants to make a job out of it... Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Flying.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg