Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jimbofly

Water effects challenge

Guest Jimbofly

Hi!I've been flying around over oceans and lakes and I've found that the way the water textures rotate from bumpy waves one second to smooth glass the next can get somewhat irritating. I'm certain that the water would look 1000 times better if there was no animation, ie the water simply remained bumpy.The breakers at the beaches can stay, but I think if the water simply remained bumpy without the rotational animation everyone would have a much better simulation experience (in my opinion).I propose a challenge:To find a way to stop the water from animating and simply remain in a bumpy or semi-bumpy state.Anyone who accomplishes this will be in my good books forever!Thanks,Jamesp.s. Please let me know if you find a solution and we'll confer with avsim if we can place such a patch in the library.

Guest kyle

There are other versions available. I hasd the same thoughts with the ones I believe you have. I have since installed the 'calmer' ones and they - in my opinion - are much more realistic - and simply incredible!Check out the library.

Guest Jimbofly

Hi Michael,I was actually the one who created that previous post (if not that one then one very similar).I have the smooth water textures and I have to say they are stunning, but I still can't help feeling that the rotating textures take some of the realism away.I think the file which controls the bumpiness is the oceanfieldheight.bmp file, although I'm not sure. There must be some mechanism in FS9 which causes the sinusoidal rotation of the textures, and I would like to know if anyone can isolate it and possible find a way to stop it.I would like for the bumps to stay at a fixed level, without rotation. I'm sorry if I sound picky, but I just have this feeling that it will really boost the visual realism of this sim. Imagine the smooth water textures with the small bumps without rotation...Anyway, I'm going to see if I can find something. Happy flying!James

Guest Jimbofly

Hey Microsoft! Something for you to think about? (I do love FS9, don't get me wrong!!)James

Perhaps this suggestion/request should be addressed to Peter Dowson. I imagine that if there is a way to stop the rotation, a switch could be provided for us in FSUIPC.Mike

Guest Jimbofly

How to I contact Peter Dowson??James