Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Maximizing DC-3 Range?

Using the Trev Morson flight dynamics, I seem to be having big problems with fuel usage....For an aircraft that can allegedly fly 1800nm on full tanks, I left San Antonio with full tanks and landed in Guadelajara, Mexico (613.5nm away) with a mere 3.2gallons of fuel in each of the 3 tanks. That's with the mixture turned leaned pretty close to cutoff, prop condition reduced to just below the RPM yellow zone, cruising at 16,000 to clear the mountains in Mexico....Am I doing something wrong with fuel management, or is the fuel usage in the flight dynamics wrong?

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Well, I know my flight settings were not 2050rpm and 30 inches MAP, but I don't remember what the numbers were.....So, I just finished doing a little experiment.... I set myself up on the active at KIAH with full tanks. Took off, set the autopilot to fly due south at 16,000', using whatever settings necessary to get the aircraft to climb to that altitude.... Once there, I set the rpm to as close to 2050rpm as I could (wouldn't go lower than about 2200 at that altitude) and 30 inches MAP. Aircraft slowed to about 86-88knots, and began descending, despite the altitude hold at 16,000 and with full trim up, eventually stopping around 9600'. Kept the MAP and rpm at the same settings the whole time, that being the basis for the experiment. Aircraft started slowly climbing again once the tanks got to about 15-20%, and the plane ran out of fuel 584nm away from KIAH at around 12,000'. So, I actually lowered the range by about 20nm, and it took 2 sim-hours longer to fly that distance.... (And thank goodness for 16X time acceleration so I didn't have to wait 5 hours for this experiment... :()For the record, I am about to email Trev on this issue (once I submit this post.. :) ), and hopefully we can sort this out.... Got some more long flights on my world tour coming up soon, and a couple 1500nm legs near the end that I can't avoid.....Thanks for the help... :)

Guest allcott

You dont mention leaning the mixture. Are you running at peak lean? Also, the quoted range of the DC-3 in the manual is for the version equipped with long range tanks. Are you sure Trevor didn't model his version on the one he flies, which may not have the extra tankage?Allcott

I try to stay low when I can, but not much I can do when I'm flying in mountainous terrain... :(