Sign in to follow this  
topofthestack

FSX ATIS

I had a quick search of the Forums but couldn't find anything relating to my question which is:Is there any way in FSX of increasing the distance from the destination airfield when the landing ATIS becomes available? It seems that nothing comes up until you're about 50nms which is rather late whilst flying a jet into a major terminal. In real life, the ATIS for major airfields can be heard about 100nms away.

TERRY GALE

base leg for 09L/09R EGLL

UK

I had a quick search of the Forums but couldn't find anything relating to my question which is:Is there any way in FSX of increasing the distance from the destination airfield when the landing ATIS becomes available? It seems that nothing comes up until you're about 50nms which is rather late whilst flying a jet into a major terminal. In real life, the ATIS for major airfields can be heard about 100nms away.
Airports and their radios are SCENERY elements and are limited in range by the scale of those scenery elements. If I really needed to know that info I'd probably GO TO that airport first before my flight to see what the active R/W was going to be, then begin my flight at the departure location of my choice.It may be "As Real as it gets" but there ARE limitations. You could have a friend go to the destination airport in the sim to check it for you and then give you a phone call... that's realistic.Loyd

In real life GA you can pick it up 100nm away but really you would check about 50nm to ensure conditions haven't changed.Also fly 500 feet above pattern altitude at midfield and look for the windsock.

supporter.jpg

I wish there was a mod for the fsx atc where when telling you to start your descent which runway to expect. Cargolux 799, descend and maintain FL240, expect runway 12Maybe it can be done with editvoicepack?

I wish there was a mod for the fsx atc where when telling you to start your descent which runway to expect. Cargolux 799, descend and maintain FL240, expect runway 12Maybe it can be done with editvoicepack?
Having modded ATC with EditVoicePack, I believe that may be possible, however I don't know how realistic that would be? It does do this already on initial approach clearance, usually about 80nm out (Although sometimes closer, which is usually caused by the AFCAD.) If this change was made though, I do believe you would get it on each incremental descent instruction as well, which you may not want.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest wims
Yeah, that was one of the main things that caused me to move to flying online. The default ATC is simply not a very good rendition of atc. For example, they dont assign you a STAR mid-air, they dont advice you which runway youre going to land on and they are not even able to maintain separation in certain situations (I have had b747s cutting right infront of me while I was established on the LOC for a runway with the atc totally ignoring it). These shortcomings made me realize that the default ATC is nothing but a gimmick and that it was better to fly without any atc at all, at least until I learned how to do it for "real" (vatsim)

Yeah, that was one of the main things that caused me to move to flying online. The default ATC is simply not a very good rendition of atc. For example, they dont assign you a STAR mid-air, they dont advice you which runway youre going to land on and they are not even able to maintain separation in certain situations (I have had b747s cutting right infront of me while I was established on the LOC for a runway with the atc totally ignoring it). These shortcomings made me realize that the default ATC is nothing but a gimmick and that it was better to fly without any atc at all, at least until I learned how to do it for "real" (vatsim)
One ATC does tell you the runway to expect as well as the type of the approach on initial approach clearance, roughly 80 miles out, so I don't know how you think it doesn't. It is also possible to fly a Star approach with default, but the airport AFCAD has to be defined with those approaches, which most do not. Some of Jim Vile's AFCAD like KATL, does. You have to request it though from ATC it won't be assigned. As for planes cutting in front on approach, do you use AISmooth? If so that is probably the problem. ATC doesn't recognize the vectoring AISmooth forces, which could cause this issue. We all have to remember Aces, never designed the AI/ATC system to handle the amount of traffic we through at it these days. I think it's a real testament to them, that it does as good a it does, (with the aid of AISmooth.) The other alternatives all have their drawbacks too. VATSIM, while obviously the most realistic, is limited by who's online and what airports are manned. RC, and PFE both seem to handle procedures better with the User aircraft, but doesn't interact with AI that well (IMHO). For me the best compromise is default ATC modified with EditVoicPack (Including my own modifications), in conjunction with AISmooth.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Tom, what kind of modifications are you using? Also have you changed the FAA default to "line up and wait" as that's the new rule?

Tom, what kind of modifications are you using? Also have you changed the FAA default to "line up and wait" as that's the new rule?
Yes I imported it from the ICAO set to my modification so I get "Line up and wait" for both. Then I imported the pilots response with the pleasantries (ie: "Over to 134.8 Good Day") from the ICAO set. As stated I also have my own modifications, a couple available here in the library in the FSX/Sound section. They are adding wind to landing clearance (EditVoicePack already does this for takeoff clearance) and adding expected flight levels to Clearance Delivery instructions. I also have a few I haven't posted yet, like adding speed reductions to Final Approach Clearance (180kts) and Tower Clearance (160kts). I wanted to use a variation to these, which the default ATC does support, however since it would be random, the response may not match the instruction. My newest one is adding a welcome to the destination like I here a lot on VATSIM videos. (ie: "Delta 1015 Welcome to Kennedy Contact ground on 121.8"). I plan on releasing these, I just need to fix one instruction on the ICAO side for Tower Clearance, which I haven't did yet!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Very interesting. Can you tell me how I can import then export the pleasantries and line up and wait to the faa set? And what do I search for when finding your files in the library?

Very interesting. Can you tell me how I can import then export the pleasantries and line up and wait to the faa set? And what do I search for when finding your files in the library?
For the Pleasantries Export from the ICAO set the "AC_AGNT_HANDOFF_RESP" there should be 6, then re-import them to your "My Modifications" section in the Phraseology section. Do the same with the "AC_TWR_POSITION_AND_HOLD" to get "Line up and wait", make sure they are active with the box either checked or Green. You can find my Mods by searching "Editvoicepack modifications" in the FSX/Sound section. There are 2 files download both, install the fix last.Here is a video, that incorporates these changes, except tower clearance mod, and the Welcome Mod which I did later. Note it is the whole flight.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!