Sign in to follow this  
Guest MC767

New Hard Drive Maxtor 80Gb

Guest MC767

Hi Flt Simmers,At the moment I have a 30Gb harddrive C and it is getting full!(Flt Sims)Just bought a Maxtor 80Gb Drive 7200rpm ata133...Just want to know if it is possible to transfer my FS2002(using that at the moment!! :)) to the NEW drive together with the OS?The reason being that I have alot of PAYWARE sims and don't want to redownlaod and get a new KEY for those sims again.Thinking of partitioning the new drive so I can run BOTH FS2002 & FS2004. I am using Windows ME!!!OR can I use the NEW harddisk as a 2nd drive with WindowsXP and have FS2004 installed.?That means 2 drives..one with ME and the other with XP??!!Is it possible? Or use Norton's Ghost and use ONE Harddrive!Any help ans reply is appriciated.Thanks

You can do a dual boot (Both Win ME & XP) on the same hard drive. You'd need to install Windows ME and then XP. Under advanced options for the install of XP you can specify the drive/partiton you want to install it. DO NOT install on the same partition as ME.You can copy and paste over your entire MSFS2002 installation. You'll need to edit the scenery.cfg and also the registry key to reflect the new path of FS. I can't understand why you'd want to continue using Win ME (Unless you're using games/apps that won't run on XP..)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Jimbofly

Why don't you re-install FS2004 on the new hard drive and copy all of your addon files over?It isn't terribly difficult, just copy over the aircraft folder, the texture folder, the gauges folder, the sound folder, and the effects folder. If you have addon scenery, copy over the scenery folder, the addon scenery folder, and scenery.cfg from the root of FS9? (Don't forget to copy the modules folder over aswell!)Make sure that before you re-install FS9, you back up the FS9.CFG folder found under C:Documents and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.CFG, then copy it back over when you're done re-installing!Once you've done all that FS9 should be back to where it was!As for the dual Windows, you can set up a dual boot with Windows XP on your second hard drive.James

Guest Captain Barfbag

The installation utilities that come with new disk drives usually have some sort of image-copy program which allows you to make an exact copy of all or part of your existing hard drive on to the new hard drive. This is useful if you are getting rid of a small drive and replacing it with a larger one, particularly if you are short on IDE capacity (total of 4, generally.) If you use this sort of thing, then you can copy the boot sector and OS as well, and the new drive will become your C: drive.If you don't have, one, the Western Digital Data Lifeguard package (available for free D/L at www.westerndigital.com) can do this. I think it's pretty generic.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Maxtor does have software for that comes with the drive, I bought a Maxtor and it had software for it, I never used though, but I have a couple friends that did and say it worked really well.

Guest MC767

HIThanks for all of your replies and advices.Cheers,