Sign in to follow this  
brucek

A Q for Real World Airline Jocks

Guest Glenn

A quickie here, if there happen to be any RW airline guys out there.I'm wondering if jet or heavy turboprop rated pilots will fly more than 1 type of aircraft (assuming they are type-rated for each applicable machine) in a given rotation. When I flew commercially, it was mainly Beavers, Otters and 185's, and in any given day, I could end up flying any/all machine(s) on a moment's notice. However, the bigger machines are much more complicated (duhh ;-) ), and so I was wondering if any one pilot might end up doing a 737-200 run to Point B, and then (the next day/week/whatever) pick up a 727 run to Point C.Many thanks for the help here guys.

Guest DanWalloch

Airline pilots fly 1 type at a time, so if they went from flying a dc-9 to a 727, they only will fly the 727. I beleive their contract would keep them from being "downgraded" in airplanes. But as for the 757/767 group, since their type rating is the same, I don't know.

Guest Glenn

OK, as I suspected. Thanks very much for this Dan. Appreciate your time here. :-)

Pilots can fly the B757 and 767 concurrently, as long as a "differences" training is taken. While they are basically the same cockpits, there are some differences usually related to the longer range of the 767.Also, I believe that the A320, A330 and 340 may be all able to be flown concurrently, not sure though.A piece of trivia on the 757/767. In the 757, there is a step DOWN to the flight deck. On the 767, a step UP. I believe that it's very common for pilots to trip, expecting one and getting the other, while interchanging between these two a/c.Also- I believe one has the door swing outwards, the other inwards. I read somewhere where a FO thought he was locked out of the flight deck after attending to nature :). and yelled and bashed on the door until the captain opened it from inside- but the opposite direction to what the FO had been applying pressure.Bruce.