Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lurk

SHIMMERING AND DANCING!

Guest Lurk

I'm replying to 306_rallye.Hi there,I totally relate to your frustration, and I'm surprised this problem is not being considered seriously, unless of course we are the only two people experiencing it ;-)The shimmering you are talking about, happening especially with distant mountain horizon and when clouds meet mountain ridges, is an ABSOLUTE FLYING KILLER! I was thinking it was a video card or driver related problem, but since I own a Radeon9800Pro, at this point we can start assuming the fault lies whithin the sim. I was using FS2002 with a GeForce3 Ti200 just like you, and there was no such shimmering.I've tried EVERYTHING at this point to get rid of the annoyance, but I'm afraid the solution is not at hand for us poor end-users. I hope to get some feedback on this subject. The problem is so bad - 306_rallye, you know what I'm talking about! - especially if you live in a mountain area, (Torino, Italy, near the Alps in my case), that this reason alone is sufficient to stop using the sim. Is there anybody else out there who can sympathize? Is this thing being adressed in any way? I'm afraid not.in the meantime, good flying anywaysluca

Guest Mike_MAC

I sure know what you are talking about, I'm having the same problems here except with the clouds and mountains, they are rock steady, not blurry or dancing. I've tried every setting with nvhardpage, without results. I'm interested though if anyone is having the same problems with there FSB running at 1:1, I know it's a long shot but I'm getting desperate here, my cpu FSB is set at 250Mhz and my memory at 166Mhz(PC2700) I'm getting PC4000 next friday hoping to get results.Just curious,Mike

Guest DanielBu

OK make sure your z-buffer is working with 32 bits, and get a tool like r_tool or 3dprof (comes with the radeon omega drivers), and turn off hyp_z, Hier_z, z_Mask one at a time (or all at once). THese are all, I think, tricks to improve rendering performance, maybe one of these settings is causing the shimmering.Don't know about Geforces, maybe there are similar settings.Good luck,-Daniel

Guest Lurk

Thanks Daniel.I hope this subject gets more attention, since the problem is really frustrating and distracting.I would like to remark that shimmering on buildings and trees can be usually cured by turning down your mip-mapping slider in fs2004. Default value of 4 cured the problem for me.As for shimmering of distant mountains and clouds meeting mountain ridges, changing driver settings via the catalyst control panel, via the sim user interface or in fs9.cfg. seems to have no effect whatsoever.I'll try the utilities you suggested and see what happens. Although, I'm not sure how to find out if my Z-buffer is running 32 bits.I'll let you know.luca

Guest Lurk

Hi Daniel.I've tried a bit of Direct3D tweaking using Rage3DTweak. I've enabled support for 32-bit Z-buffer with no success: the trembling and shaking are still there, like a curse. I'll keep on fiddling with settings, but I'm beginning to loose confidence in solving the problem. Too bad, 'cause the damn thing is about to make me abandon flying.Thanks for your help, anyway.luca

Have you tried setting mipmapping to 4, or playing around with mm. using Riva tuner?Dave Fisher

PC4000 memory is not going to help you unless your motherboard and processor support. It will be a bit faster but you will not recieve the true benfits unless your motherboard and CPU both have FSB 400MHZ or above . The FBS speed is not going to make your video look any differnet unless you are having heating problems in which case you would either have a lot of hardware lockups or you might have alot white spots on your display. A couple of things to do might be to turn down AA to 2x or 4x. If your mipmaping in FS is any higher than 4 it will shimmer badly .If you have a VIA chipset update to 4.49p2 4in1 drivers. 4.50 is out but there are alot of problems with them . Richard DillonI had re-register my account :(

Guest Mike_MAC

Thanks for the reply Richard,I currently have my FSB set at 250Mhz, PC4000 will enable me to run 1:1, so that shouldn't be a problem.I have a P4P800 Deluxe board which uses the intel 865PE chipset, I installed the latest intel inf update without succes.I have my mip map slider at 4, lowering it doesn't help, indeed raising it results in worse shimmering. I just tried AA at 2* but it didn't make any difference.The overclock of my cpu is stable at 250Mhz (2.4C@3Ghz), I get no artifacts or similar problems but my memory is currently running on a 166Mhz FSB (PC2700).It really surprises me that so few have the same problem, I have a system that is widely used and even without adjusting the sliders in FS or the nvidia control panel I get these problems, I really hope someone had a similar problem and is willing to help us out here,Thanks,Mike

Guest Lurk

Hi Mike,"...it is even harder to believe people are experiencing the same problem but are not annoyed by this."You've said it all! The thing is SO bad!Today I'm home from work, and here I go wasting a few more hours hopelessly trying to resolve this FLYING KILLER. At least it's good to know someone out there knows what I'm talking about. And I'm afraid my eyes will not be able to get over this "bug".As exagerated as I may sound, It's either the shimmering going away, or the sim going off my hard drive.luca

Guest Lurk

Mike,I've replied to you in the wrong topic.Sorry about that, I hope you can keep track of our discussion. I'll cut and paste the topic in the right place.To make things sure, I hope we all agree that AUTOGEN AND DISTANT SCENERY SHIMMERING doesn't have aything to do with TREMBLING OF DISTANT MOUNTAIN HORIZON AND CLOUDS INTERSECTING MOUNTAINS. To my opinion, the two problems are of different nature and should probably be treated that way. Mip-mapping settings, as well as anisotropic filtering or AA, don't have ANY effect whatsoever on the TREMBLING issue.luca