Sign in to follow this  
Kyprianos Biris

FSMeteo

Hi Sidney, If I remember I think your down along the river somewhere, I am up here by Capitol Hwy and Barbur Blvd. Kinda above the am fog but below the pm overcast that socks in the pill hill hospital - right in the middle.'download and reuse' - true, but if you save your FS9 flight you will get that wx saved also. You can download without starting FS9, not sure that is a biggie though.'enroute and destination wx' - are you talking about using the com's? yes, I will have to read up on that again.'downloads TAF' - true, but I dont know what that means in terms of using the sim? its a forecast - changing wx? FS9 also does that.'raft of settings' - yes, but they are also available in FSUIPC which I have (the interaction of these two addons is still not clear to me). Like you say, dont use many (if any) of the FSM settngs.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest LLgaz

For me, the most important feature of FSMeteo has always been accurate winds aloft. With default FS weather, I generally get little or no winds aloft, but with FSMeteo, the winds are usually accurate....I check them on the usual weather sites.That has always been the most important feature for me.

One feature of FS Meteo I use a lot is the Import Planning (import a flight plan) feature. This allows you to input your flight level, plan and speed. Then it gets the current weather along that route and displays each waypoints weather along with an average at the end. This is extremely valuable when flight planning. If I am flying directly into a 100 knot headwind at FL350, I'd like to know about it and perhaps take some extra fuel :)This was great in the fs2002 df737 flight planner among others (I still use it for the pmdg 737)I have no idea if Activesky does this, but I know the default weather does not give you this information. As the previous poster mentioned, fs9 doesn't even give you accurate upper level winds.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Hi Mike and Sidney,Greetings from over in Southeast on the slope of Mt. Tabor! Sorry, nothing substantive to add on the FSMeteo front. Just rapping about Portland for a sec!thx,

Hi Mike,>Hi Sidney, If I remember I think your down along the river>somewhere, I am up here by Capitol Hwy and Barbur Blvd. KindaNo, YOU'RE down by the river, I'm in Beaverton. :)>'download and reuse' - true, but if you save your FS9 flight>you will get that wx saved also.You're right...I'll have to remember that.>'enroute and destination wx' - are you talking about using the>com's? yes, I will have to read up on that again.You can use the coms or you can switch to the fsmeteo program, which always displays the current and destination wx.>'downloads TAF' - true, but I dont know what that means in>terms of using the sim? its a forecast - changing wx? FS9 also>does that.Yes, it's a forecast. Nice for flight planning, but no big deal.>'raft of settings' - yes, but they are also available in>FSUIPC which I have (the interaction of these two addons is>still not clear to me). Like you say, dont use many (if any)>of the FSM settngs.I tend to agree with you that there's no compelling advantage to fsmeteo over fs9 wx. I find that fs9 wx works quickly and reliably, so I'll probably stick with that. The fewer add-ons I need, the happier I am. I was hoping that I'd be able to do without RC in fs9, but I find that the fs9 atc is still not good enough to replace RC.Here's something else: WeatherSet2 is a little freeware program that Pete Downson includes with FSUIPC. One of the things it will do is give you the current weather at any airport in the world, regardless of which wx program you're using. Thanks, Pete! :)Sidney Schwartz KPDX

LOL...ya, I guess I am down by the river so to speak. thanks for the reply.Hey Bill,I just reviewed your site, great stuff. If you ever consider do a revamp of PDX, let me know. Being and architect and having done work out there I can produce some simple cad stuff that I think imports into GMAX. I always felt it ashame that the entire A gate terminal for Horizon is missing plus the roofed drive thru area, firestation, ect...Anyways, have fun simming guys.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest JoeW

Wake turblance has been added to FSmeteo with the last update, which was free if you already have it. I paid for FS Meteo once about 3 years ago and have received numorus updates. All you have to do is keep Marc informed of you email address. If he's not current.... he can't send the update ...... now can he.Great program and well worth it. Joe W.

Guest tatfsn

I've been a user of FSMeteo since the FS98 days. While there are some minor gliches I've experienced with it, the program is, fortunately, best at doing what is most important to me in a weather program. A pet peeve that I've had with most weather simulation programs is their modelling of winds at altitude (bizjet flight levels), along with temperatures, and the smoothness of the transistions thereof. A problem with too many of these programs (and I've tried a number of them) is that wind changes (in terms of direction and speeds) at altitude are simulated as whiplash-inducing, violent jolts, some of which, if they occurred in real life would mandate an emergency diversion and landing, due to possible structural damage and/or passenger injuries and acute airsickness!:-erks While the FS9 default weather download/generating utility, on the occasion that I tried it, handled these beautifully (as smoothly as silk), its modelling of the temps was not quite right; it seemed to err a bit on the high side.Overall, FS9's weather utility is pretty good, but FS Meteo models near perfectly smooth wind transitions, along with believable high-altitude temperature modelling. Also, there's really no way (at least as far as I could find--someone please correct me if I'm wrong) to get METARs/TAFs from FS9's utility for weather planning purposes, like you can with FS Meteo.The only thing that FS Meteo lacks--and which I think has become almost a must for flight simulation--is real-time weather radar capablity. Overall though, I'm happy with it, though I'm intrigued by that in-the-works program that others have refered to as THE weather simulation for FS9. :-yellow1

>Overall, FS9's weather utility is pretty good, but FS Meteo>models near perfectly smooth wind transitions, along with>believable high-altitude temperature modelling. Also,>there's really no way (at least as far as I could>find--someone please correct me if I'm wrong) to get>METARs/TAFs from FS9's utility for weather planning purposes,>like you can with FS Meteo.>I'll agree with "tatfsn".This is what I like.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440