Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

AVSIM - what, exactly, is your policy?

Guest shanwick

I have got the impression, rightly or wrongly, that AVSIM has clamped down on posts which generally kick developers in the teeth. If fact, I even wonder if we are allowed criticism of a constructive nature at all now.We recently saw threads about PSS removed from this forum which, although I did not read them in detail as I was not really interested, I gathered were highly critical of that company. I even saw a thread, which asked why the PSS threads were removed, itself removed.Not all that long ago we were treated in this forum to a public outburst of extreme form between a couple of simmers and FSD International. Now we have another similar thread developing.Why are you allowing this AVSIM? What, exactly, is your policy and why are you allowing publication of this sort of rubbish which ought to be privayely conducted between the two parties concerned?Maybe I am beginning to get some senior moments but I do wonder which way this forum is headed now.David

Guest Aidi

The reason you saw the thread about FSD escalating is because it is near on impossible for this and other AVSIM forums to be monitored 24 hours a day. When I logged on here at 8.30am and saw the post with rgds to FSD, I read the initial post, a couple of the follow-ons and hit the delete button.ANY post that appears in this or any other forum run by AVSIM is treated in the same regard. If it is found neccessary to moderate the post then we shall do it as we see fit. Depending on the subject and content will help us decide if we will just lock or delete the whole post. There is no "picking and choosing" when it comes to developers, all get treated the same. If those of us who moderate this and other forums miss a post, hit the ALERT button within the thread and it will be brought to our attention.RgdsAidihttp://www.vfr-flightcenter.com/avsim_sig.jpg

Guest shanwick

Tks for the explanation.Of course, I do understand that you cannot watch the forums 24/7 and see that you have now killed the FSD stuff.Thanks.David

Guest anthonye

FSD again, I did not see the thread, they keep springing up. If they keep being mentioned surely AVSIM can see there must be a problem with them and there attitude to customers, so why support them, do their posts get removed. It seems to me that when you contact some developers you have to approach them like walking on glass, we do pay for this stuff and not rip it off.I don't ever see any posts complaining about Realair, Dreamfleet, Carenado RealityXP etc, probably because the customers are handled correctly. I had a problem with FSD months back after buying a couple of their products, because I questioned the key reactivation and asked if it could be done another way, I was told that I was rude and they did not like my attitude, and that's all that was asked, nothing rude.Perhaps people who have a problem should tell them to delete their details like I did, and loose the things they bought, just to have less hassle in what's supposed to be a hobby, and buy elsewhere. I thought being dictated to went after WW2.Anthony......

Anthony, the problem in the deleted post was NOT with FSD, but as the general consensus pointed out, with the ill mannered poster, plain and simple. People need to realise that this is a service given to us on a private forum, it is their choice, whether we like it or not to decide what stays and what goes. I think for the most part they are fair about it. I have seen quite a few posts that have had negative feelings towards a product or company. yet they were brought about in a civilized manner and made for a good discussion (not always the case)Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Steve Small

FSD were literally the first developer to introduce effective (as opposed to 'token') security measures designed to address piracy. If you take 'point duty' you draw fire, it's natural. We fully expected to be publicly harrassed by people who were used to getting software for free via the efficient Warez system, who would object to our changed delivery systems. Our expectations in that regard have been met. Happily, more than 99%+ of our users are not impacted at all, and those who may be minimally inconvenienced are almost universally understanding of piracy as an issue. The "less that 1%" who become unpleasant about it, we promptly bid farewell to them. Life's too short, and I'm not wasting more of mine on them.It's really quite offensive to make references to dictatorships, especially given your own history with us. I recall you dictating to us that we should remove protection systems "for (my) convenience". Yes, Piracy is inconvenient, isn't it ? I mean ... that is what this entire discussion is about. The Warez system for unprotected software is still alive and well, you may be interested to learn. You may recall I exposed one highly organised Forum hosted by Tripod, Europe here, right here in this very venue. Ask Ken Salter if he recalls. Recently it took less than 48 hours hours for the RAS Decathlon (which I bought, an excellent product) to be made available that way, just as key generators for all Lago products are still available. We're just not prepared to accept theft as part of everyday life without offering resistance, and if we take some heat - well, whilst that's undesirable, to us it's better than the alternative.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif

Guest anthonye

>>It's really quite offensive to make references to>dictatorships, especially given your own history with us. I>recall you dictating to us that we should remove protection>systems "for (my) convenience". Yes, Piracy is inconvenient,>isn't it ? I mean ... that is what this entire discussion is>about. >>>http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gifHere is the original question I asked you in this email copy=========================================================Tim Just tried to install and it say's that I have gone over the allotted installs and to contact tech support. I realise that piracy is rife these day's, but I think this is a bit over the top for us legitimate purchasers. Why not use a credit card reference, or another way, surely there are easier ways than this. Will I also have this problem with the Seneca ? Anthony......=========================================================Your replyAnthony, We are concerned too, about theft, and it is perhaps worth your considering that we are the victims - not the villains. Given that you did in fact get first class service - polite, immediate and effective - it seems to me that you are well placed to see how hard we work to EFFECTIVELY minimise inconvenience to users. This we achieve in 99% of cases, but unfortunately, we cannot always achieve immediate results for the last 1%. When I/we read the flame fests you refer to (generated by people with agendas who are rarely customers) in forums, there is almost never a comment from any user (like you) who was on the receiving end of the first class service we provide, to balance the view. These folks remain anonymous, forming the overwhelmingly silent majority of our users. That users like yourself (the silent majority) who get damn good service never say anything to balance the view is disappointing. That you now proceed to write in a manner such as you have after getting that effective first class service is equally so. Yours,.....Steve Smallwww.fsd-international.comAnd you say above"That users like yourself (the silent majority) who get damn good service never say anything to balance the view is disappointing. That you now proceed to write in a manner such as you have after getting that effective first class service is equally so."I only asked about credit card verification like other company's use,Whats wrong with the manner of that question, and yes we ARE the customers, or were.Anyway we are THE RUGBY WORLD CHAMPIONS are we not, and we will not need reactivation to keep it.Now I expect this will get deleted. Although I do agree with what AVSIM say.Anthony....

No, not erased, just locked. Use of personal emails in the forums is a no no. This is not the venue for these discussions, and I encourage everyone to take them to email. And for those conspiracy types out there (as we were accused of doing last week with PSS), no, we are not in the pay of FSD. We are simply enforcing our forum's rules, which you can read (again) here: http://forums.avsim.net/toc.html.