Sign in to follow this  
Guest gmorar

Crash to Desktop: I might have found something

Guest gmorar

Interesting....Walter, which exactly is the file that has the terrain.cfg settings? Or, more specific, what exactly are the changes that needs to be made in the terrain.cfg? I hardly understand german :-rollThks.Gabriel.

Walter,Great stuff. Do you have enough German to figure out what is going on?A bunch of us are having exactly the same problems. Depending on the setting, a switch from Fall to Winter or from Winter to Fall produces the now common Crash to Desktop (or Crash auf Desktop).Is there further discussion on that thread that explains what's up? (Sorry to say, I have no German. Can anyone else help here?) It seems that their conversation continues on even as we write this afternoon. After such hard work, one hopes that they have resolved some issues about which we are not yet aware.Best,Mike MacKuen

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest anthonye

I always seem to get a crash that refers to facilities.dll after changing the user weather, I don't seem to get other crashes. I am wondering if the crash I get with the facilities.dll is related to certain aircraft as well.Has anyone else had this one.Anthony....

"I still think it has to do with the seasons.bgl or something related to it"That may explain why I don't seem to have the issue... My default flight always starts up on June 7th, 2003.... Late spring, so to speak.As for Landclass, I've always installed it in its own folder (and have always followed the rule of having only a scenery subfolder for the landclass.bgl and no texture subfolder).... -John

I had a crash which involved the weather.dll which seemed to be due to not having the winds aloft checked... I had the ntdll.dll crash several times, and someone else is now saying facilities.dll crashing... Going back to 2002 sounds better and better every minute!! At least it was stable as a rock, may not have all the candy, but at least I can fly without it quitting!

Guest racartron

Just read a couple interesting posts over at the FSGenesis forum. After some very careful testing, the problem has been duplicated with a completely virgin FS2004 setup -- no add-ons at all.If that is the case, we seem to be dealing with a rather nasty FS2004 bug. Any bets on when it will be corrected?-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

here's my theory:There is something called gradient mapping that puts a rocky texture on slopes exceeding a certain percentage. There is something wrong with the early spring and late fall versions of this rocky texture.The reason why it doesn't seem to happen with default terrain (??) is that high-res terrain by it's nature creates more of these rocky gradients.Holger also has a theory about airport property polys that extend beyond the bounds of a flatten poly, and its interactions with rocky texture.I would suspect that this texture perhaps doesn't have the proper mipping charactistics, or something along those lines. If so, it may be an easy fix, but someone will ahve to use imagetool to examine every one of these textures to confirm they have been properly mipped.But, I dunno. Sort of feeling around in the dark like everyone else on this.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest troyboy66

GREAT find Gabriel.The same thing happened to me.I came home from work today downloaded and installed the new PSS 330 software. I was too happy.When I loaded FS9, I immediately got a crashed at 77% while Flightssim was loading weather. I then uninstalled PSS and even did a last known good, none of which help my situation....Sure enough though, after reading your post, I changed my weather scenery from Fall to Summer and flightsim loaded instantly.I can't beleive it was something that simple..Anyways,u did good, as I was just contemplating reinstalling FS9...Thanks a bunch for saving my lifeTroy

Yea, it will be corrected in FS2006. But and that is a BIG but, I would write MS and let them know about this as they may well address it. This is something that should be fixed.

Eric 

Guest BravoPapa

Gabriel,I had the same problem with crashes in "ntdll.dll". It turned out that some seasonfiles on my disk where corrupted. I had just bought a new motherboard with processor, memory and a new harddrive and somehow the motherboard did not come to terms with the rest of my hardware. In the end it screwed up almost every file on my drive. So I got it replaced and now everything works great. Checkdisk did not report any problem but when I tried to move the files to another drive it halted on the corrupted files. Hope this helps.Best,Bjorn

Guest waltch

Hi guyswhen you look in the above link you find a file in one of Jobia's postings calledprobtest.zipIn this zip file there are 4 directories and each of those has a "terrain.cfg" file, which can be used/tested instead of the default terrain.cfg file in the FS9 root directory (save the default one first!).I just used number 1 and my Crashes to Desktop were gone after that, so I did not try the others.I am also not such a guru that I would understand everything that is being discussed in that 8-page German forum thread.Anyway, if you have crashes, why don't you try these terrain.cfg files.Regards Walter

Mike,How are you my friend!I'm thinking a recent flight I've tried and failed on each of the three attempts may well be attributable to this scenery error.LMML Malta - EGSS StanstedGZO2C UM742 PAL UL12 GIANO UM727 TAQ UM738 AMTEL UL995 CANNE UZ651 MANEG UL613 RLP TB3 ABOT1E.DVRAround 1hr 45mins and approx 10mls KELIP FS will die (module unknown) every time for me. Three different aircraft, same result.I've not as yet flown it in a different season.

Guest gmorar

"Here's a related thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...15821&mode=fullIt parallels what might be seen in Swiss sceneries.Dick"Thanks a lot for pointing this thread. It shows or perhaps proves that some of the CtD are related to some sort of seasonal changes where apparently "snow" is present. Maybe, too, as Will has told us, there is also "a mountain texture, that gets loaded or misloaded during this transitional period that just kills the box".Walter, I have downloaded the file and planning to do some test with the first terrain.cfg. Bjorn, that sounds terrible. I'm getting quite a few CtD where I get the message of an "ntdll.dll" module (this CtD is different from the one we have been talking so far, i.e. the "seasonal" one, where I don't get any message at all). Anyhow, If I have a corrupted season file on my disk, what should I do? Does it mean the file is corrupted originaly (I mean, in COF CD?) Or it is just a matter of reinstalation? !! Thanks in advance for any suggestion. Justin, the problem for some of us is that we haven't installed any high-res terrain !! And yes, CtD is also occuring with default installation. Racartron message confirms it. I'm glad I could have help some of you to identify the problem. Changing seasons might be a "provisional" solution. A definite one should come from Microsoft. It is getting the parameter of a "confirmed BUG". Regards,Gabriel :-)