Sign in to follow this  
blackheart2502

Traffic + PMDG

Thanks a ton Wallace!Hiram Hunt
Anytime smile.gifEnjoy your traffic HiramRegards

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Allright either I'm really doing something wrong or AI just slaughters FPS no matter what. I loaded up some WOAI packages and it cut my FPS in half with the traffic set on 50%. I set the FPS limiter to unlimited and when I look away from the terminal with AI I get between 40-60 FPS. When I look back at the terminal I'm getting less than 20. I haven't even tried it with the J41. The other problem I had was that when new traffic popped up none of those planes have any textures. Just blank white planes. I really want to buy a professional third party add-on traffic program but I dont' want to spend the money if I'm going lose half my FPS. I'm running a brand new rig with i7 920, 8 Gigs of RAM and a 2GB Radeon 5580. I get great FPS with anything except this dang AI! I'm kinda bummed out. I really want to have the total experience when the NGX comes out. Does anyone have any ideas?Hiram Hunt

I guess you might already be dissuaded from paying money for this, but the UT2 models are about as efficient as they get.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

I see something like a 1 or 2 FPS drop with UT2 on at 100% vs. off.
Even at complex airports like FSDT's DFW where there's tons of AI traffic? I seem to recall having a much bigger hit than that on a pretty high-end rig.

Tony

Ryan, your rig is much better than mine but I see a drop of anywhere from like 3 - 12 fps at 65% percent. Well I'm certainly jealous of you for that (among many other reasons such as flying the NGX and so on...)Regards

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Maybe I need to overclock? I have higher specs than Ryan's listed specs in every category except mine isn't OC'd. Is AI a processor intensive thing? Also is there any chance that I can turn down the detail on the AI planes? If so maybe I have them set by default to maximum or something. It just blows my mind that with a rig like mine I'm losing half my FPS when there are low poly AI around.Hiram HuntRyan if you do think OC'ing my processor would help do you know a website where I can find explicit instructions how to do it? Like "overclocking for amateur dummies"? I've been simming for a really long time but I've never messed with anything like an OC.Hiram Hunt

Only part about UT2 that really annoys me is the traffic resetting whenever you use a menu. I know it's a necessary evil but it definitely hurts immersion.
I don't know if PMDG was aware of this issue with UT2 or not, in the NGX they have changed the way the user interacts with the options settings by moving what used to be handled by a menu option to the FMC. That is a welcome advantage, because now you could fuel the NGX or change options without resetting UT2 traffic, whereas older PMDG products required accessing PMDG options in the menu. I wonder if they were aware of this when they decided to put the options in the FMC, not only is it easier to use the FMC for this functionality, but its one more way to avoid the menu glitch with UT2 and It really shows how much thought they put into every aspect of their products!

Same here, even on my older computer I can run 100% in most situations and only notice an FPS hit of 2 to 3 FPS. The only airport I need to lower it a little is in NYC just becuase of the close proxcimity to JFK, Newark and Laguardia.I used to use WOAI prior to UT2 comming out but the FPS hit was very bad, in fact at a large hub like KDFW, it would cut my FPS in half. Since moving to UT2 and its FSX models I can now enjoy high levels of AI with not much of an FPS hit. Although I do use a few WAOI cargo packages and some custom traffic I built, but the majority of my traffic is UT2.Just make sure if you try UT2 to turn off the box that enables moving jetways for AI. That feature alone could hammer your FPS if you leave it on. I was talking to a gut a few weeks ago over the phone that was having some FPS troubles with UT2 and he told me that once he un-checked that box his FPS more than doubled when traffic was turned on.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Another strategy to improving performance with UT2 (or even models used by WOAI and other authors) is to mip map the daytime textures of the liveries, and also downgrade the format from 32bit or DXT3 to DXT1. I got the idea thanks to Sean Campbell and others at the UT2 forum. Mipping the daytime textures (not the lightmaps or prop textures, they should remain mip free) will yield even greater performance because it:1.) reduces the size of the textures, which will take up less space in memory2.) improve visual quality from afar, because shimmering will be eliminated.

It just blows my mind that with a rig like mine I'm losing half my FPS when there are low poly AI around.
I can't run any AI - they all kill it. FSX sucks. :( Best regards,Robin.

Hi all. It's amazing what reading the directions and readmes wil accomplish. I just tried the UT2 demo again and I'm sitting at the end of the runway at KFLL watching the planes takeoff and land at 45 FPS. I got 25 FPS with the J41 in spot view and about 17 FPS in the VC which is more than adequate for having fun. I was turning on the AI in FSX itself instead of following directions and letting UT2 keep it at zero and run things. They used to tell us in the Army that you had to be 10% smarter than the equipment and that has never been more true than in my case. Some of these AI models in UT2 are awsome. They are nicer than some of the planes I fly around. Their NG's even have winglets! Does anyone have experience with REX2 or GEX or FEX? I really want to enhance my FSX world as much as possible before the NGX hits. Everything I have right now is stock FSX. I have a blank canvas to work with and I want to spruce it up. I finally have a nice little FSX fund saved up and I'd rather spend it on FSX enhancements instead of planes for the hangar because I know all I'm going to be flying is the NGX. Thanks for any advice you guys can give.Hiram Hunt

Rex is my only environment add on. I really like it, and if you can only afford one product, it's your best bet.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Hey Eric how is REX on your FPS? The preview shots all beautiful. What are the down sides to it if any? Thanks.Hiram Hunt

There is no hit for the textures, they replace the original FSX textures so occupy about the same amount of space. Some users report better frames but I have such a poor system (this thing is primitive) I don't notice.If you use the weather engine (which is very good, none of the problems reported by ASE) there will be a hit during the load process (~every 30 minutes) and during heavy storms but normally there is no hit with it either.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator