Sign in to follow this  
trisager

Turbine Duke autopilot trouble

I'm having some difficulties with the autopilot in the Turbine Duke. For example, with default fuel and payload climbing to 20,000 ft one of two things will happen:1) The plane will level out at the armed altitude, then begin to pitch up and down continuously, or2) The plane will level off 100-200 ft below the armed altitude and begin to pitch up/down.Case 2 seems to be what is happening when I reduce the vertical speed during the last 1,000 feet of climb (typically I'd climb at 500-800 fpm during the last 1,000 ft).The pitching up and down becomes more severe the higher I take the plane (24,000 ftp being the highest I've tried).Conversely, descending to a lower altitude, e.g. 15,000 ft, the aircraft will level off a ~200 ft above the armed altitude. The autopilot remains in VS mode with ALT ARM displayed, but it will not descend the airplane any further.The problem occurs with or without my weather addon (ASE) enabled. I've tried a reinstall, but that did not make any difference.I've asked RealAir support, but they have never seen this problem, so must be something about my installation causing this. Has anyone else seen this - and can you suggest some corrective action short of nuking my FSX install and starting over?

Tom,I think you and I were the two guys who reported having the VS runaway problem with the AP, so I'm probably the most likely guy to see what you're seeing. I'm sorry, but I don't.Have you done anything to change the AP at all? What I ended up doing was putting the piston Duke's AP in to replace the turbine Duke's stock AP and it worked perfectly.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Have you done anything to change the AP at all? What I ended up doing was putting the piston Duke's AP in to replace the turbine Duke's stock AP and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the suggestion Kurt - definitely worth a try!

Glad it worked! :(

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Your the 6th person I know that had this issue, I have it even on a fresh install of FSX and the duke. Just remember, if you change something in the Duke panel config, you need to change the panel.cfg again to use the B60 AP, just a tip.

-Iain Watson-

We are currently testing a fix for those who have autopilot problems. We've traced this (we think) to the Vertical Speed repeat function which seems to affect certain windows mouse configurations, which is why some users have no problems but others do. As soon as we have received sufficient feedback from our testers we will be releasing a service pack for this and other reported issues. Thanks for your patience.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I have the runaway VS problem but I don't have the piston Duke to replace the autopilot with. Eagerly awaiting a fix.

Yeh, I dealt with Rob direct for this problem, top support as always.Now flying the Duke round the world, starting at Birrfeld, heading down through Greece now, I really love this aircraft.Chapstick, I can prob email you the file you need if you want, it's not against the rules?? PM me.

-Iain Watson-

Yeh, I dealt with Rob direct for this problem, top support as always.Now flying the Duke round the world, starting at Birrfeld, heading down through Greece now, I really love this aircraft.Chapstick, I can prob email you the file you need if you want, it's not against the rules?? PM me.
That'd be great! PM sent.

We now have a beta patch for those having the autopilot VS up/down button problems. If anyone on this thread would like to try it please email me at realair, confirming your order number or key code and I will arrange for you to have the patch to test. Thank you.Kind Regards,Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page