Sign in to follow this  
Cpt.Gee

737 Information

Hello all,I am back from my short term vacation and I have friendly question about the 737. What I am curious about (those of you who know me im sure your thinking im about to talk about the release XD ) today is not anything about release, it is about the actual aircraft. I was wondering what models come with HUD, and When do you use it? I would like to know everything about the HUD on the 737 and how real pilots operate it so I can feel like a real pilot of the 73G when it finally comes out. Sadly all I am the pilot of is a beat up C172, but hey, flying is flying and I am happy with what I get.THnAnkS.

The HGS (Head-up Guidance System) most typically found being installed on 737 NGs these days is the Rockwell Collins HGS-4000, although the HGS-3500 is also found too (that's a cheaper version). There are some other companies that offer HUDs you could get in a Boeing, including for earlier 737 variants such as the Classics, but the RC one is the one most airlines tend to specify from new. As with most things Boeing, you can have it on pretty much any variant you like if you have the cash, although the chances are many 600 series NGs will not have it as the 600 is all but dead as far as most airlines are concerned since it is a bit cack compared to all the other NGs. Some info on the real HGS here:http://www.rockwellcollins.com/sitecore/content/Data/Products/Displays/Head-Up_Displays-HUD/Head-up_Guidance_System.aspxhttp://www.b737.org.uk/flightinsts.htm#Head-Up_DisplayAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The HGS (Head-up Guidance System) most typically found being installed on 737 NGs these days is the Rockwell Collins HGS-4000, although the HGS-3500 is also found too (that's a cheaper version). There are some other companies that offer HUDs you could get in a Boeing, including for earlier 737 variants such as the Classics, but the RC one is the one most airlines tend to specify from new. As with most things Boeing, you can have it on pretty much any variant you like if you have the cash, although the chances are many 600 series NGs will not have it as the 600 is all but dead as far as most airlines are concerned since it is a bit cack compared to all the other NGs. Some info on the real HGS here:http://www.rockwellc...nce_System.aspxhttp://www.b737.org....Head-Up_DisplayAl
Thanks for the reply Al, lots of useful info, much appreciated :)

Did you have to post this topic twice?
It was probably a mistake

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Very nice displayHUD_483x202.jpgThe only way they could achieve this, would be to use a cropped image form a wide lens.So all the delays for the NGX, are to implement this, right ?Ben

@bendeadDevelopment is mostly over now as Captain Randazzo said their in wrap up mode to to get her optimized and ready for release.

Development is mostly over now as Captain Randazzo said their in wrap up mode to to get her optimized and ready for release.
Yes, I know.I was referring about the time frame between December 2010 until now.Ben

Will the NGX model display the background in a low visibility condition like in the image of Rockwell Collins Head-up Guidance System or will it be only the flight data.

Thanks for the reply Al, lots of useful info, much appreciated :)
Did you have to comment on that?

Will the NGX model display the background in a low visibility condition like in the image of Rockwell Collins Head-up Guidance System or will it be only the flight data.
I'm not sure with the PMDG one, possibly not, it'd be nice of course, but not all 737s with a HUD have that capability. I guess PMDG'd be the ones to answer your question, and whether it does or not will I imagine, be based on whether the real one they used as a research tool had it. In FSX it would probably impact frame rates a lot too.On the real thing if it has those avionics, the capability to display the terrain as a computer generated version is called a Synthetic Vision System, but it isn't a standard feature of the HUD, merely something that can be displayed on the HUD if you spend the cash on the necessary avionics. It is often combined with a TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning System). It's actually a lot more common to have that display of the terrain on an MFD than on the HUD combined with the flight data info, although you can see how useful it would be to overlay all of it on the real view out of the window. It works off having a database of the Earth's surface terrain height, similar to the kind of thing used to generate the terrain in FS. The GPS knows where the aircraft is in relation to that database and since it also knows the FMC route, it can overlay a dotted line of your projected flight path through the 3D model of the terrain, which is where TAWS can kick in and warn you about flight into terrain if you have that system.You can in fact get such fancy avionics on 737 models other than the NG as an upgrade, although needless to say if you went for every such whistle and bell it would be an expensive avionics set. Here's some info on synthetic vision, this link is to Universal Avionics, who also make upgrades for older 737s amongst other things:http://www.uasc.com/products/vision1.aspxAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Very nice displayHUD_483x202.jpg
Is this a PMDG photo of the NGX? It doesn't have the PMDG logo on it.EDIT: Nevermind. I see the web link for it. Its from the Rockwell Collins site. Edited by yos233

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Is this a PMDG photo of the NGX? It doesn't have the PMDG logo on it.
Not Christmas yet :(.Ben

I'm not sure with the PMDG one, possibly not, it'd be nice of course, but not all 737s with a HUD have that capability. I guess PMDG'd be the ones to answer your question, and whether it does or not will I imagine, be based on whether the real one they used as a research tool had it. In FSX it would probably impact frame rates a lot too.On the real thing if it has those avionics, the capability to display the terrain as a computer generated version is called a Synthetic Vision System, but it isn't a standard feature of the HUD, merely something that can be displayed on the HUD if you spend the cash on the necessary avionics. It is often combined with a TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning System). It's actually a lot more common to have that display of the terrain on an MFD than on the HUD combined with the flight data info, although you can see how useful it would be to overlay all of it on the real view out of the window. It works off having a database of the Earth's surface terrain height, similar to the kind of thing used to generate the terrain in FS. The GPS knows where the aircraft is in relation to that database and since it also knows the FMC route, it can overlay a dotted line of your projected flight path through the 3D model of the terrain, which is where TAWS can kick in and warn you about flight into terrain if you have that system.You can in fact get such fancy avionics on 737 models other than the NG as an upgrade, although needless to say if you went for every such whistle and bell it would be an expensive avionics set. Here's some info on synthetic vision, this link is to Universal Avionics, who also make upgrades for older 737s amongst other things:http://www.uasc.com/...ts/vision1.aspxAl
Thats lot of valuable info. Thanks AI ! Lets hope PMDG will give us a surprise.....

Have you see this??
I think you meant this...

I just uploaded that video from these forums, I later discovered PMDG already uploaded it to their YouTube account.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue