Sign in to follow this  
Guest DavidR

Better FDE for FS2004 Baron?

I have been using an aircraft.cfg file and a .air file from Steve Small for the Baron in FS2002. I am now finding that I don't like the "feel" of the Baron in FS2004 and also , when flying the Baron in the FS2004 lessons, I cannot achieve the speeds that the instructor wants me to. He keeps saying "speed up,speed up" to 170 knots and all I can get out of it is 165 when straight and level and "set the MAP to 25 inches at 5000'" when the damn thing is maxed out at 24.6'. Then he cancells the lesson because "I am distracted!! " :)I quite like to do these lessons -- even though I can fly all over on my own-- but i need to be able to achieve what the instructor wants.Thanks Barry

Did you try to move the baron performance from FS 2002 that was put out by FSD? I haven't tried it, but I loved it in 02 so maybe it will move if you have both 2004 and 2002 on your system. I've also been looking for some improved performance on the baron. I think that you can move a setting in the config file to make the baron a turbocharged engine. You'll have to look for it, but I did it on the Carenado 210 Centurion and I get a lot more use out of it now.Hope this helps

Guest DavidR

I have moved the FSD Baron FDEs from 2002 and 2004 and fly with it all the time. It makes a world of difference.I had FS2002 installed at the time, so the FSD installer updated that and then I had to manually move the gauges and update the various .cfg files in FS2004. I don't know what happens if you don't have FS2002 installed.Everything seems to work fine. I don't know if there are any problems moving FDEs and gauges from 2002 to 2004, but I haven't found any with the Baron. I'm not a real pilot, though, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the FDE when moved to FS2004. It is nice to be able to climb to 20000 ft and then accelerate to 180 knts, though!

Yes-- it seems to work OK -- EXCEPT that one of the RPM gauges works backwards -- Shows a negative number instead of a positive one and the needle sits on zero RPM. Doesn't affect the flying though.Barry

Guest DavidR

Did you copy the gauges from FS2002 to 2004? I have no such problem with the FSD Baron.Oh, I've only tried the turbocharged one. Maybe the problem only happens with the regular version?

You've got the key David, It's the gauges. Steve Small's installation program dumps extra gauges in the gauge directory and installs a updated panel.cfg file which uses those gauges. In his updated FDE the engines are counter rotating and he made new gauges to compensate for it. The little sync spinner is also different.