Sign in to follow this  
fbass

Up Against the Wall

My installation of FSX has suddenly malfunctioned. Thus far I have:Implemented 5 system restores looking for something amiss in the OS.Executed an FSX repairTook out the fsx.cfg file and let FSX establish a new oneIsolated addon scenery, world scenery, all "airplanes" except the default aircraft, and all AIDropped back to a previous version of NVidia's graphics driverI looked at software recently installed including an ASUS NEC USB 3 driver, the aforementioned NVidia graphics driver, and a utility labeled WheelCam. All these software pieces were removed.Since FSX successfully ran, nothing but AI aircraft and *.bgl files have been added to my system. These were isolated in steps above.I've exhausted everything I can think of to correct this problem. Perhaps someone might have a new idea to help. I would appreciate it.Thanks,Frank

Sometimes throwing your FS logbook file away will do the trick. Don't know why, but I once had FSX refusing to fire up and binning my logbook file got it going.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Bizzare. I have just had the same experience this morning. For no 'apparent' reason, FSX will just not fire up. I flew loads yesterday, as I have been with the current installation for the past 5 months. The ONLY thing I did yesterday was modify an AFX file where I changed the tower height view. Nothing I haven't done many times before. I've just tried renaming my old fsx.cfg file and had fsx build a new one. No luck. Al, where would I find the FS logbook file ? Don't really care about hour logging.ThanksErich

Bizzare. I have just had the same experience this morning. For no 'apparent' reason, FSX will just not fire up. I flew loads yesterday, as I have been with the current installation for the past 5 months. The ONLY thing I did yesterday was modify an AFX file where I changed the tower height view. Nothing I haven't done many times before. I've just tried renaming my old fsx.cfg file and had fsx build a new one. No luck. Al, where would I find the FS logbook file ? Don't really care about hour logging.ThanksErich
Thanks for all the responses. I removed the logbook file with no luck. Still looking. BTW - here is where the logbook is storedWindows XPFile name:Logbook.BINLocation:C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Windows Vista/7File name:Logbook.BINLocation:C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

Guest firehawk44
My installation of FSX has suddenly malfunctioned. Thus far I have:Implemented 5 system restores looking for something amiss in the OS.Executed an FSX repairTook out the fsx.cfg file and let FSX establish a new oneIsolated addon scenery, world scenery, all "airplanes" except the default aircraft, and all AIDropped back to a previous version of NVidia's graphics driverI looked at software recently installed including an ASUS NEC USB 3 driver, the aforementioned NVidia graphics driver, and a utility labeled WheelCam. All these software pieces were removed.Since FSX successfully ran, nothing but AI aircraft and *.bgl files have been added to my system. These were isolated in steps above.I've exhausted everything I can think of to correct this problem. Perhaps someone might have a new idea to help. I would appreciate it.Thanks,Frank
I am somewhat confused (not unusual) as to what malfunctioned. FSX won't start up? Load? Or it loads and then crashes? It freezes? Graphics are corrupted? Doing a FSX repair will give you a new FSX.cfg (same as deleting the config, restarting the sim, and letting the config rebuild) and, if you have SP1 and SP2 or Acceleration installed, you have to do a repair on them too by clicking on SP1.exe and selecting the repair option or reinstallation (either will work). When installing, reinstalling, repairing, whatever, make sure the Windows UAC is disabled as sometimes it prevents things being installed or entries being made to the system registry. Same goes for any anti-virus software as it is their mission to prevent unauthorized modifications to your computer. I doubt an addon scenery is causing your problem as FSX will simply inform you at startup that a scenery cannot be found or the scenery will just not work (but FSX will). You also want to make sure you have all the latest Microsoft Visual Redistributables installed as they are required for proper installation of FSX software, including addons that use a .exe to install. You also want to have the latest Microsoft dotnet 4 installed as this is used by many of the developers too to make their programs work properly. Make sure too you have downloaded and installed the latest updates to your OS too.Best regards,Jim

I am somewhat confused (not unusual) as to what malfunctioned. FSX won't start up? Load? Or it loads and then crashes? It freezes? Graphics are corrupted? Doing a FSX repair will give you a new FSX.cfg (same as deleting the config, restarting the sim, and letting the config rebuild) and, if you have SP1 and SP2 or Acceleration installed, you have to do a repair on them too by clicking on SP1.exe and selecting the repair option or reinstallation (either will work). When installing, reinstalling, repairing, whatever, make sure the Windows UAC is disabled as sometimes it prevents things being installed or entries being made to the system registry. Same goes for any anti-virus software as it is their mission to prevent unauthorized modifications to your computer. I doubt an addon scenery is causing your problem as FSX will simply inform you at startup that a scenery cannot be found or the scenery will just not work (but FSX will). You also want to make sure you have all the latest Microsoft Visual Redistributables installed as they are required for proper installation of FSX software, including addons that use a .exe to install. You also want to have the latest Microsoft dotnet 4 installed as this is used by many of the developers too to make their programs work properly. Make sure too you have downloaded and installed the latest updates to your OS too.Best regards,Jim
Regarding what malfunctions - FSX begins to load and an error message displays indicating "something" has malfunctioned and the program is terminating. The execution never gets beyond a few seconds into the initial load.Regarding SP1 and SP2 - There is no SP1 and SP2 - there is only FSX. Once you apply these two service packs to the program, individually they are no longer relevant. In my case, acceleration is installed.Regarding UAC - disabledRegarding anti-virus software - this is not an issue as that process is disabled before program startup.Regarding MS updates - these are configured to be "automatic."Regarding distribution software - all updatedRegarding scenery problems - as I stated in my initial post, many addons such as scenery, airplanes, and the like were isolated from the program in order to see if a specific package was causing the problem.As I said initially, this problem "came out of nowhere" as FSX has been stable on my system for a very long time.fb