Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Beware this type of Sofware security system

Guest mikealpha

>> and I hear only a few standing to say "away with the thieves"Yes, of course, that should be clear. I guess if there would be an easy solution for that "away", you would see a lot of suggestions here.My points were mostly directly *elsewhere* to the business (not Rob Young). Keep the users in the same boat and not as a side effect of the piracy chase get more and more honest users out of the boat.Mike

Guest mikealpha

Sorry, one click too much.

Guest Elrond

With all respect as always Ron, I haven't seen anyone in this thread happy in the least about the theft that is happening to Real-Air. Regardless of you and I's philosophical conversation about Commercial vs Freeware and Free Software (which really did get a bit off topic for this thread at times). Everyone is fully aware and has much respect and sympathy for Rob and other commercial outfits that face this problem. It *is* a daunting problem.This thread is all about how the balance of any solution to the problem must take into account and respect a customers rights and/or privileges they have enjoyed for years on end: something they demand as part of the price paid for their *patronage*. We're not talking about simple giving and taking here, were talking about commerce between a seller and a customer. Anyone in this thread would be thrilled to give you an answer to this problem that was the magic bullet, one where both the seller and the customer's rights were fully respected and protected. The problem simply isn't simple to answer.I see no lack of respect or lack of understanding to the problem or to Rob in particular: I see discussion about the failures in a specific "solution" being attempted today.Take care,Elrond

Thanks for getting us back on track Elrond....can't spend much time here now but we do agree that the intent of this thread was about the balancing act that "commercial" developers must do to provide the best in customer relations and protect their ASSetts at the same time:-)From what I have seen...Rob and Co. have done NO DISERVICE to ANY customer and have still become the victim of the afformentioned crooks.As you mentioned it is still a "Daunting" task to provide "just the right balance":-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Man, that's scary....and I thought we had problems in our own little corner of the world:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Elrond

Or, for a more updated version on the same theme:http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34291.htmlThis is about DRM in iTunes music downloads, but the themes are the same. Its enlightening to read Stallman's article as linked to above then view this article from this week with the reality he precisely predicted played out in iTunes. Indeed, exactly what he stated as the first step came to pass: including the crack to the their DRM wrapper.MS Office 2003 now has the DRM ability to do what is stated in that article. How long will it take for the rest of his vision play out?Talk about lightning rod and growing negative reaction/resentment...Elrond

Couldn't agree more Elrond:-) While we are all for a good system to stop thieves.....this is ridiculous:-(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png