Sign in to follow this  
captainklm

747-400, is it really that inefficient?

Korean Airlines usually fly 772's into KSFO -that is unless N. Korea threatens to bomb the southern peninsula, then it's the 744's to KSFO. :-) So, practicality really depends on the circumstances, does it not?. -Ken Carlin

I think we can all agree that the 777 is more efficient than the 747. The real question is how much more efficient makes a difference. I saw today that Boeing has made their 737 2% more efficient in the past year. They equated that to about $250,000 per plane per year in savings. so even if the 777 was only 10% more efficient over the long run that makes a big difference.

Nick Running

Some airlines have fuel bills in the billions of dollars. Even if you had 1% more efficiency, you would have an extra 10 million dollars profit on 1 billion dollars (or 10 million less loss in the case of many airlines). I would love 10 million in my pocket :( The 777 is a wonderful aircraft (at least from an engineering perspective). However, it doesn't suit all routes. Landing fees may be more on the 744 because of weight, but if you want to fly more passengers to destinations, a 777 may not be big enough... and the airports don't always give you extra landing slots for extra flights (to make up the passenger numbers). This is why some airlines decided to switch to A380's.Newer planes with newer engines are becoming more and more fuel efficient... and, also importantly, cleaner and quieter. Let's hope the 747-800 is a commercial success :( CheersQ>

What about cargo space in a 747 compared to that of a 777. Is there bigger bucks in cargo than pax?

Gavin Price

I read both of those articles.It doesn't say anywhere that either JAL or Cathay stated the 747 is a fuel inefficient aircraft.What they did say is that newer aircraft such as the T7 and eventually the 787 are more fuel efficient in comparison. Mr. Barton, that's called technological advancement.And two airlines doesn't = [/color] Which itself isn't a factual statement.If you bothered to read the articles, Cathay said the rising prices in fuel is what is basically making them look to upgrading their 747 fleet for more economically fuel efficient aircraft based on the fact that the 747 has four engines.In JAL's case, the company entered bankruptcy protection! Probably due also to rising prices for jet grade fuel.How do you even remotely get "the 747-400 is fuel inefficient" from either of those articles or Japan tv?Because product B is better then product A doesn't make product A inefficient by itself.And I have proof to back my statement up!According to Wikipedia, as of July 2010 664 Boeing 747-400 aircraft are in service, spread out over more then 50 operators - http://en.wikipedia....Flight2010_17-0They got their information from the "World Airliner Census 2010" from http://www.flightglo...me/default.aspx.According to Boeing: (http://www.boeing.co...milestones.html)- on October 30, 1998 Boeing delivered it's 50th 747-400 to British Airways - on April 22, 1999 United Airlines took delivery of it's 75th 747- on December 14, 2000 Boeing sold it's 15th 747-400 for the year, a new single year sales company recordDoesn't sound like a fuel inefficient plane to me. Huge carriers ordering large lots of the airplane.My conclusion is you don't check your facts at all before posting. You did it in the 747 landing thread and now you're doing it here.You saw someone on Japan tv say the plane is fuel inefficient and post it here as if it's a known fact. Then you link two articles.One is a Japanese publication based on an Asian airline, the other is a publication out of the Philippines based on a Japanese airline.Both articles point to newer aircraft being more fuel efficient IN COMPARISON to the 747-400.If you want to post facts and cite sources, try using sources from other parts of the world then just Asia and Japan, and read the material first before posting it as factual content.
ok, learn japanese and watch this. This is the ONLY thing that says the 747 is really a gas guzzler. Tip, in the video if you hear "nempi ga warui" it means its a gas guzzlerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQLjNhFkWg&feature=channel_video_title
What about cargo space in a 747 compared to that of a 777. Is there bigger bucks in cargo than pax?
depends on what kind, a 777f to a 747 classic freight then the 777 wins, 777f vs 747-400F then the -400 wins by a mile

Paul's point is good as airlines to look at cost per seat of operating the aircraft. However there is a big but when it comes to the economics of an aircraft. The airlines also have to look at other hard costs which are extremely difficult to estimate by we armatures. For instance a four engined plane has a lot more maintenance work to be done than a two engine plane. The systems on the 747 are of a little older design and thus have more regular maintenance needs than the newer systems of the 777. The gross landing weight of a 747 is greater than that of a 777 and thus landing and terminal fees are higher. The 747 can carry far more cargo and passengers than a 777, thus allowing airlines to make a better profit per flight. The list goes on and on. If you are truly asking if the 747 is inefficient, I would look at the sales record. The 747 has been in constant production since 1969. That's 42 years! Airlines are still ordering them. If they were an impractical aircraft that did not have a place in this "how cheap can we fly there" market, then the 747 would have been left behind. However, Boeing has continued to improve the design to keep it viable. New engines require far less maintenance. The new wing is more fuel efficient. A stretched upper deck means more seats to split the cost. Don't count the queen out yet.
I totally agree with the above analysis.Gerald R.http://www.multicrewxp.com

ok, learn japanese and watch this. depends on what kind, a 777f to a 747 classic freight then the 777 wins, 777f vs 747-400F then the -400 wins by a mile
Or, you could learn common sense and critical logic and we would all benefit. Even your last sentence is silly, "777f vs 747-400F then the -400 wins by a mile". What does that mean? In what way is one 'better' then the other? You have spent (wasted) half this thread saying teh 747 was inefficient and now you say it will win "by a mile"? Please...

Or, you could learn common sense and critical logic and we would all benefit. Even your last sentence is silly, "777f vs 747-400F then the -400 wins by a mile". What does that mean? In what way is one 'better' then the other? You have spent (wasted) half this thread saying teh 747 was inefficient and now you say it will win "by a mile"? Please...
I said "F" not pax. THe 747-400F is the best cargo money maker around now
Joe, I have to ask.Is english not your first language?
no actually, Japanese is. You see Im better at Japanese than English. Apologies

I said "F" not pax. THe 747-400F is the best cargo money maker around nowno actually, Japanese is. You see Im better at Japanese than English. Apologies
Sorry to thread hijack.. Joe, did you hear back from that flight control company in Japan?Regards

Rob Prest

Sorry to thread hijack.. Joe, did you hear back from that flight control company in Japan?Regards
yeah I did, did you not get my email? Anyway they said they are closed due to the disaster and don`t know when they will reopen. Which is bad cause it was a long time ago. Anyway I really really hope they open up soon since I might leave Japan

yeah I did, did you not get my email? Anyway they said they are closed due to the disaster and don`t know when they will reopen. Which is bad cause it was a long time ago. Anyway I really really hope they open up soon since I might leave Japan
No I must have missed it. Thanks for checking

Rob Prest

No I must have missed it. Thanks for checking
no probs, now off to tohoku to help cleaning up, but still will be checkin avsim. I hope the ngx wont release while Im there. Oh and I think some employees from that maker is helpin out up there

Ok, well the -400 is not bad at all. The media over exaggerates. The 744 and the 77w is nOt that different but over the long term the 77w wins