Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Best Memory for X58 board?

Hello,One of my current sticks (listed below) went kaput. I am looking for a new triple channel kit. Right now, only one CL6 kit is listed on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231352Is anyone using this stuff? I have never bought G.Skill memory.Back when I put this system together, the consensus was 1600 at CL6 was faster than 1800 at CL7.I saw the Corsair Dominator that is 2000 at CL8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145318 It has a fan or something with it and I am not sure if I have room for that. Also, since the stock voltage is 1.65, I am not sure if I'll be able to keep my CPU at 4 GIG.Any suggestions?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

How's FSX performing on 4GB compared to 6GB?

These are the best for the money http://www.superbiiz...200UB2G7&show=p that's the one I have and they rock, don't know if they still available, you can ask here http://www.supertale...hp?reg=N&mtid=5The G.Skill are good, I used this company for my old DDR2 memory 1200MHz 5-5-5-15. 6-8-6 at 2000MHz is good, better if the middle number was also a 6.What is the max MHz can your board take :Big Grin: these will rock also http://www.corsair.c...-gt/cmgtx4.html SPD latency 9-9-9-24 at 2533MHz $325.00 x 3 sticks..... now we are talking, seriously these are made for extreme overclocking but if you fell like Christmas is sooner than later....:Party: knock yourself out.

Divide CAS by frequency, then compare, lowest number is the fastest. Bjorn

Thanks for the info. My board can take up to 2000So, using that forumula, 1600 at 6 is faster than 2000 at 8.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Marginally, yes. For stability's sake I'd concider the 2000 MHz and downclock them a bit according to whatever you clock your system to. But, if you're staying at current settings, as seen in your sig, the 1600s are probably the easiest and cheapest option.B

Marginally, yes. For stability's sake I'd concider the 2000 MHz and downclock them a bit according to whatever you clock your system to. But, if you're staying at current settings, as seen in your sig, the 1600s are probably the easiest and cheapest option.B
+1, the 2000MHz will shine with an overclock at 4.3GHz 4.4GHz +.

what do you base those ideas on? I mean seriously

Yes, Alain, please do explain.One thing I know is that I recently tested 2133 CL9 on my board, in comparison to 1866 CL9, and could not see any difference in performance, only price. So far about "shining" on the high clock... And yes, those 5 are real.FSXMark11 didn't move other than usual 0.1 fps up or down.

what do you base those ideas on? I mean seriously
Here is an old thread I started asking Nick advise when I went from the 775 socket to the 1366, read is second post carefully http://www.simforums.com/forums/nick-what-do-you-think_topic34241_page1.html it's a long thread but if you "wanna" read it all you'll see we had a lot of fun playing around with our rigs.

Here is an old thread I started asking Nick advise when I went from the 775 socket to the 1366, read is second post carefully http://www.simforums...4241_page1.html it's a long thread but if you "wanna" read it all you'll see we had a lot of fun playing around with our rigs.
I respect Nick big time, but some of the things he says I just can't see them when I put them to the test. The memory subsystem hit in FSX is the main one: RAM speed, tripple channel, and now the extra 2MB of L3 cache in the 2600K vs the 2500K. Experience seems to prove things are not quite like that, so if I'm missing something I'd love to know what it is

Yes, Alain, please do explain.One thing I know is that I recently tested 2133 CL9 on my board, in comparison to 1866 CL9, and could not see any difference in performance, only price. So far about "shining" on the high clock... And yes, those 5 are real.FSXMark11 didn't move other than usual 0.1 fps up or down.
Read the whole thread I posted above, remember we are talking about the X58 here and not the P67, DDR3 2000MHz with a low timing is what you want for a high overclock and the best result for FSX, this is nothing new as Nick wrote it here... http://www.simforums...topic29041.html

SAMPLES OF MEMORY SPEED/TIMING

Here is a list of MAX memory timing per speed a user should strive for.. lower than posted is better and there are memory product out there that run lower timing than posted.. they are typically expensive and that is what you pay for DDR2 800 4-4-4DDR2 1066 5-5-5DDR3 1333 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 8-8-8 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 2000 (and up) 9-9-9 (1st or 2nd Generation) That being said here are the values a user SHOULD look for in order to obtain highest FSX performance with respect to CPU/Memory communicationDDR2 800 3-3-3DDR2 1066 4-4-4DDR3 1333 5-5-5 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1600 6-6-6 (1st or 2nd Generation)DDR3 1800/1866 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) Note: 1800/1866 is really useless compared to 1600 with respect to the right memory timing. If a user wishes to run very high memory speed, opt for 2000 with tighter timing especially running i7. 1st generation DDR3 has issues with the northbridge running large amounts of memory (2x2GB or more). i7 D0 stepping processors and the x58 chipset do not have those issues but still typically requires a higher QPI/DRAM (over 1.37v) to accomplish which can be dangerous to the life of a processor. DDR3 2000 7-7-7 (1st or 2nd Generation) 8-8-8 can be used however 7-7-7 is FAR better. Edit: Having testing it with Nick I can definitly said that there is a difference with a faster memory with tighter timing, Nick and I went back and forth with numbers when testing our overclock and memory timing, here is what he said in one of his post in the above thread (and I tested it also and saw a difference) Originally posted by alainneedle1Any improvement in FSX at all? Nick's answer...uh huh fixed the really fine micro-stutters that come up for about 5-8 seconds over a AI jammed hub in one of my saved tests. since it was only one spot I saw it, I didnt put a lot into it. also, I found that it was better to remove my bufferpool entry completely. I was running 90MB, now none BP=0, all that other nonsense ran worse everything else is the same, TBM 120, wide screen enabled, disable preload, hide infotext, highmem but I remove that one if I am not using a big payware plane. The rest is all FSX default. I run 80AL/80GA UT2 Traffic with the jetways disabled and also make sure those pesky cars are disabled in the UTX interface. Otherwise 100% SC/AG

Thanks for the advice.My main goal is to achieve the same performance that I had with my current memory when all sticks were fine. With 4GB, I am getting some stuttering. In fact, I didn't know I had a dead stick until after flying for a while and remembering a rare BSOD I had a few weeks ago. After watching the the rig boot, I realized only 2 sticks were recognized so I switched out the sticks to narrow down the culprit.When I originally built the system, I had some trouble getting the 4 gig oc to hold with the stock timings. Nick suggested bumping up the voltage slightly above stock; the oc has held solid for 18 months.I'm no expert with overclocking. I bought very common hardware at the time so the settings were pretty standard and Nick provided a ton of assistance. I'd really like to do something that is as close to plug and play as possible.Of course, I may update the VC but the board and cpu are here to stay for the time being.Just don't know why I can't find any CL6 1600 anymore. I think I am leaning towards the CL6 1600 G.Skill but I want to see what Microcenter has. They have a great return policy and they are right in town

Thanks for the advice.My main goal is to achieve the same performance that I had with my current memory when all sticks were fine. With 4GB, I am getting some stuttering. In fact, I didn't know I had a dead stick until after flying for a while and remembering a rare BSOD I had a few weeks ago. After watching the the rig boot, I realized only 2 sticks were recognized so I switched out the sticks to narrow down the culprit.When I originally built the system, I had some trouble getting the 4 gig oc to hold with the stock timings. Nick suggested bumping up the voltage slightly above stock; the oc has held solid for 18 months.I'm no expert with overclocking. I bought very common hardware at the time so the settings were pretty standard and Nick provided a ton of assistance. I'd really like to do something that is as close to plug and play as possible.Of course, I may update the VC but the board and cpu are here to stay for the time being.Just don't know why I can't find any CL6 1600 anymore. I think I am leaning towards the CL6 1600 G.Skill but I want to see what Microcenter has. They have a great return policy and they are right in town
I looked everywhere for better timing and I think you should grab the G.Skill CL6, so far they are the fastest one, other company like Corsair and Mushkin had some with 6-6-6-21 but it's out of production ... http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B003C4UEPW

Hi. I am just an amature compared to you guys. I build my own rigs but with parts recommended by people more knowledgeable than me. I have been reading with interest your comments on timing and wonder if i have recieved some wrong advice. I have a Rampage iii extreme mobo. with a i7-950 and 6-gig G. Skill ram. DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 (F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) The timing is 9-9-9-24. From what i have read here, i should be around 6-6-6 for the timing. Should i be rethinking my ram?Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg