Sign in to follow this  

I just ordered an ASUS mobo that supports dual-channel memory config (has 4X240-pin slots) but I bought a triple channel memory kit (3X2GB). Will the machine make proper use of the entire 6GB or am I better offer returning the kit and getting an 8GB dual channel instead? Cheers

I just ordered an ASUS mobo that supports dual-channel memory config (has 4X240-pin slots) but I bought a triple channel memory kit (3X2GB). Will the machine make proper use of the entire 6GB or am I better offer returning the kit and getting an 8GB dual channel instead? Cheers
Return them and by DDR3 double chanel, depending on how many GB you want you can go with 2 x 2GB or 2 x 4GB.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231437These are also pretty good, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231373

Really Alain, really?! You crack me up, man. Those are good sets of memory alright. And there's nothing wrong with $300 memory if you want to set benchmark records, but it's not going to have much impact on FSX - maybe 2% improvement in FPS over a decent $150 set. In a game that averages 40FPS on a good setup, you're talking 0.8FPS improvement. The price difference between your recommendation and mine is equivalent to the upgrade from a GTX570 to a 580 - which might still only make 2% difference in FSX... but you will get more HEAT!!!Either of these would be a good set:Gskill (2x4GB) 1866 (9-10-9-28) - $125Gskill (2x4GB) 1600 (7-8-7-24) - $150Mushkin (2x4GB) 1600 (7-8-7-24) - $150

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

With 3 RAM sticks you will be running your memory in Flex Mode, meaning that the first 4GB will run in dual channel while the last 2 will run in single channel. If you can send it back and get one of those 8GB sets it's probably a good idea, but if you couldn't do it whatever the reason, it's no big deal really

Really Alain, really?! You crack me up, man. Those are good sets of memory alright. And there's nothing wrong with $300 memory if you want to set benchmark records, but it's not going to have much impact on FSX - maybe 2% improvement in FPS over a decent $150 set. In a game that averages 40FPS on a good setup, you're talking 0.8FPS improvement. The price difference between your recommendation and mine is equivalent to the upgrade from a GTX570 to a 580 - which might still only make 2% difference in FSX... but you will get more HEAT!!!Either of these would be a good set:Gskill (2x4GB) 1866 (9-10-9-28) - $125Gskill (2x4GB) 1600 (7-8-7-24) - $150Mushkin (2x4GB) 1600 (7-8-7-24) - $150
LOL, :Big Grin: I don't know if the man is using his memory for FSX only cause he did not say, it's like peoples here with 16 or even 32GB of memory...for FSX only, I don't think so??? :Peace:

I bought the 2x4GB GSkill.
Haha, well there was a lot GSkill thrown around up top. Which set?!

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

LOL, :Big Grin: I don't know if the man is using his memory for FSX only cause he did not say, it's like peoples here with 16 or even 32GB of memory...for FSX only, I don't think so??? :Peace:
Yes it's FSX only, building a custom machine and getting back into simming for the first time in a few years. Looking forward to high frames and smooth scenery!

Yes it's FSX only, building a custom machine and getting back into simming for the first time in a few years. Looking forward to high frames and smooth scenery!
Let us know how they work for you when you get them....which one did you get?

I got the G-Skill 2x4GB. The rest of my build:Mobo: ASUS P8P67 EVOCPU: i5-2500KVideo: MSI GTX-560tiSSD: Intel 128GB (will be OS & FSX)HD: Samsung F3 1TBCase: HAF 932PSU: Corsair 750W

I got the G-Skill 2x4GB. The rest of my build:Mobo: ASUS P8P67 EVOCPU: i5-2500KVideo: MSI GTX-560tiSSD: Intel 128GB (will be OS & FSX)HD: Samsung F3 1TBCase: HAF 932PSU: Corsair 750W
:Just Kidding: did you get the 1600MHz or the 2000MHz.

I think he's yanking your chain. On purpose :LMAO: