Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Reality XP gauges for FSX/FS9

Maybe a repetitive issue for some of us, but still a current one. The need for somehow current navdata in those fine RXP gauges.There's an interesting thread to follow and maybe support at and you may want to join in to stress the need for some legal update source.Don't get this wrong (and don't post here!), although a free source would be fine of course, a small update fee is well within the limits for us customers asking for current data in the sim. So please follow the thread in full and don't jump on signal words of some kind. :(http://www.simforums.com/forums/can-we-expect-an-alternative-update_topic38946.htmlMy link

Maybe a repetitive issue for some of us, but still a current one. The need for somehow current navdata in those fine RXP gauges.There's an interesting thread to follow and maybe support at and you may want to join in to stress the need for some legal update source.Don't get this wrong (and don't post here!), although a free source would be fine of course, a small update fee is well within the limits for us customers asking for current data in the sim. So please follow the thread in full and don't jump on signal words of some kind. :(http://www.simforums.com/forums/can-we-expect-an-alternative-update_topic38946.htmlMy link
HelloThe problem is Jeppesen don't do "small fees"

Maybe a repetitive issue for some of us, but still a current one. The need for somehow current navdata in those fine RXP gauges.
Out of interest is this an issue for flying "online" with VATSIM or just solo ?? Since the data in FSX itself stays the same I would rather have a set of data that reflects the world as depicted in FSX, I haven't noticed so much on the Reality stuff, but more on the Eaglesoft Citation X....G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Out of interest is this an issue for flying "online" with VATSIM or just solo ?? Since the data in FSX itself stays the same I would rather have a set of data that reflects the world as depicted in FSX,
Good question of course.First item. Offline and online are affected and it depends on the user to demand or recognize the loss of current data.For example, if somebody misses his RNAV approach at his favorite field or is unable to perform the SID or STAR because it isn't stored in the units, this would apply in both regimes of flying.Does not mean that you have the AP connected, you may want to use the GPS for verification and awareness purposes. You can only do this, if you're using the same (mostly current) data as the ATC guy, otherwise you would have to ask for another procedure or you forget about the GPS. But, this forgetting isn't the reason for buying the nice RXP units, right?Also, the world inside FSX isn't as static as one may think. You not only install new (current) scenery, mesh and so on, you also use the already available scenery differently since you can define any waypoint with it's coordinates.So if your ATC knows (and maybe demands) waypoint X from you and your FMC or Reality XP GPS knows about it too, you can fly it although FSX doesn't show it as a defined waypoint. The coordinates alone define it and make it available under a certain name in the gauges, like the one of an intersection or one of those nasty RNAV waypoints with the cryptic names.So the reason for updating the RXP nav data is the same as for updating any FMC bird, the use also is. It depends on the preferences and the usage of the sim. If you just want to fly to that airport, approaching visually and in the way you did it last time, FSX default data and old RXP one will be ok. The airport is most likely included (its location = coordinates) and you may not care much about the current frequencies, approaches and so on.The other guy wants to come in on a current RNAV procedure, using e. g. the fine Duke from Realair and misses all the waypoints in the RXP unit because the data is Sept 2009 only and the approach came in mid 2010.For me and maybe some other guys requesting current data, this lack doesn't really fit into the picture of the great detail of the RXP units itself. You usually buy them because you like to enhance the GPS experience in the sim. If the nav data is one or two months out of date, nobody will complain, but more than a year is a major downside when, for example, more and more RNAV procedures came to live in e. g. 2010.With this in mind, even the somehow static FSX world changes its face here and there. You just use it differently.

That makes sense, I was only thinking of the physical world rather than the procedures etc.. .. Pretty new to RXP and use of FMC data in other aircraft .. .. ..G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

The whole chapter is a really interesting one and the RXPs are no doubt a fine piece of software in the sim. :( I'm new to them too.To get a rough number for the mentioned approaches, here's the following site, from the FAA. http://www.faa.gov/a...aches/index.cfmIt offers an Excel table with all current US approaches listed that support/need the RNAV equipment. Pretty interesting read if you want to know about this or that airfield and the supported procedures there.Now, working with it. The latest legal! data from RXP is from Sept 2009, so all approaches which were established after this date will be missing in the units database.You can sort the Excel table to only show all Sept 2009+ things and receive 586 out of 2397. Therfore, those 586 approaches are missing when using the RXP units. This could mean that some airports don't offer RNAV approaches at all or that special ones are missing while others (older ones) are there. This would depend on the location. Check the mentioned table if you like, it's free to download.For example, Washington Muni got it's RNAV procedure for rw18 and rw36 published on the 08. April of 2010. So you need at least some May 2010 file to have it in the GPS. They don't have an ILS there, so the only guidance available is the GPS (which has to be certified and stuff).So if you want to go close to real when the weather is bad there, you can go GPS or have to land elsewhere. The buyer of the nice and fancy RXP units may well want to use them as real as possible, while the default FSX GPS guy may not care and also hasn't spent 50 Dollars per unit.That's the point where the personal preference comes into play.

The only problem (so far) is the lack of support from RXP and the maybe lack to think outside of the box while using the magic 'yes, stay calm, we're on it' sentence. Details? See the thread. :wink:The user input is and was highly appreciated though, the company one currently isn't even existent. :(

The only problem (so far) is the lack of support from RXP and the maybe lack to think outside of the box while using the magic 'yes, stay calm, we're on it' sentence. Details? See the thread. :wink:The user input is and was highly appreciated though, the company one currently isn't even existent. :(
Off the top of my head Jepp/garmin fees even for non ifr certified databases for units like the 496/696 for complete databases are about $1000/yr. per unit.http://download.garmin.com/avdb/Garmin_Aviation_Database_Price_List.pdfWhat box do you see?

What box do you see?
I think I've described it in the thread over there. That's why I put in the link for everybody interested to follow.As the thread itself describes even more, it surely is a good read and a well better place to discuss details and responsibilities or even misconceptions. Sorry for having posted here, my intention was to draw some attention from current RXP users while placing the discussion itself in the right spot, at the dev's place.

I think I've described it in the thread over there. That's why I put in the link for everybody interested to follow.As the thread itself describes even more, it surely is a good read and a well better place to discuss details.
I think you gave the answer with "legal window" in the first post.

Did you read on?Quoting myself from the first post here.

So please follow the thread in full and don't jump on signal words of some kind
And, without wanting to sound rude, the statement showed its need once more.

Did you read on?
Yes I did.You might be surprised that there are the same threads on rw pilot boards. We are getting chissled by database fees everywhere. The costs are astronomical.I more than anyone would like a more recent database for reality xp-but lawsuits, copyrights, and high database fees are the reality right now.

Sorry, that might be the wrong impression of yours. I'm (and the other customers there are) talking about a flight sim based solution. Like Navigraph for example shows it to be valid, legal, affordable.I didn't buy gauges for my real Cessna 172, I bought some for FSX.I was asking the 'did you read on?' question because I've explained the responsibilities over there and also showed, that I'm not a Garmin customer but a RXP one. I'm also not a Boeing customer, but a PMDG, Level D or Captain Sim one and they set up a deal with Navigraph to fill their FMCs in a somehow current manner.So if RXP would set up one too, with Garmin or some other supplier, they would have made come true what they are stating with that 'we're on it' sentence.Currently, if you follow the thread and the older ones regarding this issue, the impression is that this statement was given with just one purpose as the other users (even the commercial ones) explained this lack to be present since years, without a single progress report or the honest denial instead of 'please wait some more' or that silence. I'm open to stay corrected about the mentioned purpose of the statement of course. It represents my current impression.So, honestly, breaking it down to a simple 'real pilots have to pay this or that too' is not only too simple, it is wrong when looking at some very current and working flight sim only solutions. I t takes a will from the company side to achieve this and the thread may point to a lack of this will.I don't think that an upcoming FSL Airbus or the PMDG NGX which may use some real world data format in the sim (would be a first) require the sim pilot to buy real world data from Jeppesen or some other company like it, at real world costs. So you may catch my drift there.

"Lack of support"? If Jeppesen/Garmin won't agree to make affordable updates for simmers then what is RXP supposed to do exactly? Don't think other companies haven't asked about this type of thing before too - we would love to have the real life Jepp data, but the answer is always the same - "Sure, we can do that, it'll just be (insert huge amount of money here)."

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com