Sign in to follow this  
Guest racartron

Possible Memory Leak?

Guest panda234

Interesting observation. Got kicked out of FS9 because I ran out of Virtual Memory. I have 1GB RAM, so don't have a Vdisk, but have never had this problem before. Thought I'd check to see what was eating up my 1gb and FS9 was using 776mb of it. I've had FS9 on for a day or so, on pause, as I have a switch to go beween multiple computers, but that's still a lot of RAM for an application to be using. It must be using more and more over time...rgds,billg

That is intriguing since I never seem to use over about 420 in my 1GB system. But that's with my typical flight duration of 45 minutes.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest CargoMun

Something that really eats up my RAM amount (1 GB) is scrolling through especially aircraft from POSKY (could be others as well im sure). Running through 5-10 of them in the aircraft selection box munches up all the ram leaving about 50 MB or so free lol.Seems its texture loading that does it could be so in the other case mentioned.

Guest racartron

I use MaxMem to monitor my memory usage. Over flight time my 640MB would drop from 30% free to 10%. With MaxMem I can free locked memory back up to the 30% level in a couple seconds. I do have several other apps running concurrently that is normal for me.Before installing MaxMem I used to experience unexpected crashes and couldn't figure out why. Haven't had a single crash (from lack of memory) since I installed it several months ago.Not sure if FS is the sole cause but it sure is a big contributor.You can get MaxMem here: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htmBTW, it's free.-------------------Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Racartron:I too have been experiencing CTD's with the error message, "Your computer has run out of available memory". I have 768MB but see by previous threads that even 1GB may not be enough. I tried your suggestion by installing MaxMem but I am not sure just where to set the percentage sliders for each of the three categories. Also, will this program increase memory, on the fly or do you have to go to windowed mode to manually activate it? I currently can not fly beyond 45 minutes ANYWHERE. Very frustrating.Thanks for any help you can provide.Chris

That was a good question I would like to know about as well. I have 512MB of Ram and would like to use this. Another important question: Do you trust this company that is giving this software out. Do you suspect spyware? AND Has anyone else dealt with this software provider at a previous time? I sound really paranoid, but you should see how many Trojans and data gathering worms I've found while scanning my downloads and harddrive.:7

Guest hoohah

I think part of the problem is the new Autogen. I did the 'Default.xml.bak' thing a while back for Framerate/stutter issues; but I've noticed that memory doesn't get gobbled up as fast now either. Could just be me though...

Guest TripleSeven

I've heared that Windows always needs virtual memory, even if you have several gigabytes of free physical RAM. I had the same problem some years ago with FS2000 when I thought 512MB would be more than enough... Propably it was, but after creating an equally sized swap file I never had that problem again.Regards,Holger

Guest allcott

Yes, Windows XP must have a page file. (it's not a swap file anymore, it performs a different function differently). Turning off virtual memory in XP is a seriously flawed idea, don't know why it is still promoted.Leave XP to manage the page file, it does it better than ANY aftermarket utility.Allcott

Guest panda234

Scott, I hear you. I have one computer that is "dirty." I use it for browsing and misc. downloads. My FS9 comp only ever connects to flightsim or avsim or calclassic, sites like that, and I've never had a problem. But the dirty one is dirty. It runs win98 and I have to reinstall every few months to get rid of the junk on it. Argh...billg

Guest panda234

hmmm, I'll give it a go Allcott. Been a while since I had a page file. I'll let you know...billg

Hi all,Hmmm, mighty interesting thread! I'm just 'burning in' my new rig (read later and weep), and I really thought 1 GB mem was enough...Well after 9.5 hours EKCH-KSEA in PSS A340 (real time, real weather), I got the dreaded out of memory message, just as ATC was moving me down to 5500 ft. BUMMER!Anyway, I have done some work with performance monitor: I show me going from 875 MB avail mem to 160 within the first hour. Of course, just starting FS9 brought it down to 438, and of course there is a lot going on in the first hour: Setting MCDU and all that, but still it leaves me with a measly 166 MB for the rest of the trip.I have now tried MaxMem, and doing an aggressive free, it got my memory up to 632...I'm still recording as I fly the same trip again, and I will let you know what I find. But one thing seems clear: A lot of memory gets committed in the beginning and is never freed (the 160 to 632). Whether that is PSS A340, wheather, FSUIPC or something else, I hope to find out.BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCHWEEP:P4 3.0GHz on MSI 865PE NEO21 GB Dual Channel DDR RAMFSB 400 MHz2 x 120GB SATA RAID-1 Maxtor drivesand...Radeon 9800 XT/256MB

Well after 9.5 hours EKCH-KSEA in PSS A340 (realtime, real weather), I got the dreaded out of memory message,>>BRGDS>Sven Sorensen, EKCHHi SvenThere is a long thread about this in the PSS forum as this problem seems to really affect PSS aircraft. Unfortunately they do not see it that way at this stage and are less than forthcoming with some helpful advice.ANZ121

The Autogen bug shouldn't affect memory usage. The bug causes all autogen xml and vector objects to have a visibility setting of 30 miles, which is extreme, but once they get out of range, they are released.I remember something about having an incorrect directory structure for landclass scenery can cause memory leaks. You should not have a Texture subfolder for landclass scenery. I would clean up the install a bit and see if it goes away.Also, Windows 2000 and Windows XP needs a paging file or else you'll have problems.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Wow! Quite an interesting thread. I posted a problem with FS crashing on me in this forum, but I thought it had to do with Video problems. Now after seeing this I'm sure it's memory (even though I've got 1Gb of RAM installed). I get the crash after switching from cockpit view, to spot plane view and back and forth a few times, it crashes the whole computer. Usually requires a boot. I just installed FS2004 a few days ago and didn't have this problem with FS2002. I flew the PSS 744 panel with the POSKY jets continuously. Now I'm flying POSKY with the default panel and (as Emeril would say) BAMM!! It goes out on me. Someone mentioned using XP to solve the problem, how can I do it? Or should I go after the other software?MickeyKLAS