Sign in to follow this  
RobertVA

VOR to VOR navigation - How to tune a VOR

Guest lalo lolo1

Hi again!I've trying to learn how to fly VOR to VOR and I fail to find an explanation on how to tune a VOR so I can head to it. Everywhere says " tune the VOR blabla " always in words, I don't get how to tune that VOR if I don't know the frequency in numbers.Please help me.Thanks againLeo

Guest Captain Barfbag

You can use the Map view to display the area around your plane. If you select a VOR, it will bring up a dialog with the VOR's frequency.You can also file a flight plan and then use the Nav Log, which displays the frequencies of all the VOR's in the plan.

Guest tgabriel

Hey Leo,First of all, the following link will take you to the best navigation instruction site on the Internet: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htmCharlie even has a special Cessna 182 to use to learn the tricks of navigation.Now. The freqs for the navaids are on all the aviation charts that are printed. If you cannot get the charts, get FSNavigator. It is pay ware after 20 uses but I guarantee you after three or four uses, you will not want to be without it. I use it for every flight I take and would not be a simmer without it. You can get it at: http://www.fsnavigator.com/. It is easy to use and makes the whole experience much, much better.Finally, if you still cannot find the freqs you need, use the built in mapping function of the sim and zoom in until you can see the navaid you are flying to. Then click on it and the freq will be listed. Put it into your nav1 or nav2 receiver, rotate the obs button to get the bearing and away you go!

And just in case all that doesn't answer your question, the basic procedure is to find out the VOR's frequency, then tune your Nav radio to that frequency. You then just adjust the OBS knob on the VOR indicator so that the direction flag is in the "to" position and the course deviation indicator is fully centered and aligned. Then read the heading that's listed and fly that heading to go straight towards the VOR. If you want to follow a specific radial in, adjust the OBS to point to that heading, then fly a heading that will intercept the radial, and when the CDI is centered and aligned, turn to that heading. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.Happy flying!

Just to add to Bill's EXCELLENT guidance, you have to be in range for the VOR beacons to be picked up. Any mountains in the way can also block the signal.Alastair

Guest lalo lolo1

Thanks to you all!!! I think I got almost everything I need to navigate VOR to VOR and to land following an ILS path.I am doing a checkride for aavirtual so I can start flying with them, and this checkride tests your ability to fly full IFR. The only problem that I find, and here I need your help again, is that at some moment I have to change the heading, tune a new VOR, look for a course and, and right after I cross the radial change the heading again, all this in less time than it takes to read it. I guess that the best way of doing this is to have the new VOR frequency tuned in Nav2, but I don't know how to switch from Nav 1 to Nav 2.Thanks againLeo

Guest sj3

Leo: I'm not sure what aircraft you're flying, but most have a separate OBS/CDI dial for nav1 and for nav2. If you cross the vor set in nav1, then all you have to do is look down at the nav2 course dial/cdi and you're in business. No changes are necessary to any dials or switches, just to what panel guage you're looking at.sjKEWR

Guest lalo lolo1

Thanks for your reply.I am using an ATR that aavirtual provides. I wouldn't be able to know who made the panel, since it came together with the plane. I can tell you that is the same panel it has the ATRs you can dowload from Caribbean Trade Winds.Unfortunately, although there are two dials, they seem to be linked, since when you dial the course in the Nav2 it also changes the Nav1. Maybe I am doing something wrong. To navigate and search for radials I use the main heading indicator, that also shows you where the radial is and its direction. To the right of it there's another indicator that has a green needle and a yellow needle. I am not using this one, since I am not sure how to use it.ThanksLeo

Set the autopilot to use the gyro compass heading hold for a minute or two while you switch VORs.Do the same thing while you are over a VOR transitioning from inbound to outbound. Don't forget that you DME indicates slant distance and will become much higher than the horizontal distance close to the VOR. For example: if you are 4 miles from a sea level VOR (with DME) and have 3 miles altitude your DME will read 5 miles. At 3 miles altitude your DME will indicate 3 miles when you are directly over the VOR.