Sign in to follow this  
BrzI

One of my favourite shots

Hope you guys like...Thanks for lookingPost edited bij Leen de Jager (adm)

Stunning for FS9...almost looks better then FSX!!! :( Darryl

Nice shot but at image size 1.73Mb .....you are 'avin' a laugh! :( Images can be no larger than 200K bytes large

Nice shot.Nebojsa

Nice shot but at image size 1.73Mb .....you are 'avin' a laugh! :( Images can be no larger than 200K bytes large
Actually....they seem to have quietly changed the rules.. I read three times before I uploaded this one.The new rule seems to be 1.95MB total size (does not say anything about individual files size requirements)Ed, try uploading a single file under 1.95MB :-) read the fine print.

Actually....they seem to have quietly changed the rules.. I read three times before I uploaded this one.The new rule seems to be 1.95MB total size (does not say anything about individual files size requirements)Ed, try uploading a single file under 1.95MB :-) read the fine print.
Oh ok..... sorry m8 I did not know. :(

on top of this thread I see twice a max of 200k per image.. ?

Images "linked" to the forum = you use a link to show your image (imageshack etc).

Yeah, I am a little confused now also.At the top it says:Uploaded image size can be no greater than 1600 pixels wide and proportionatly high Images can be no larger than 200K bytes largeAnd then on the bottom regarding linked images it says:Images linked to the forum must be no larger than 1024 pixels wide and no more than 200K bytes in sizeYou may link to images hosted on YOUR website, but the images MUST be yours and not exceed the 1024 pixel width sizeI have no idea. I always thought it was 200K regardless.Anwyays, nice shot to the OP :-)

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, I am a little confused now also.At the top it says:Uploaded image size can be no greater than 1600 pixels wide and proportionatly high Images can be no larger than 200K bytes largeAnd then on the bottom regarding linked images it says:Images linked to the forum must be no larger than 1024 pixels wide and no more than 200K bytes in sizeYou may link to images hosted on YOUR website, but the images MUST be yours and not exceed the 1024 pixel width sizeI have no idea. I always thought it was 200K regardless.Anwyays, nice shot to the OP :-)
It means, you can either upload your image to the AVSIM servers, which can be 1600xXXX (Proportionately high), in which case in 14 days (Or is it 30 now?) they will be automatically deleted. Or you can upload to your own sever/site (Photobucket I see a lot) which the image can be no larger then 1024x768 but they will stay posted, so long as you keep them on your server. In both cases the images in byte size can not be larger then 200kb each. The only reason I can see for the difference in size, is images open up differently for those uploaded to AVSIM vs linked photos. which make linked images more difficult to manage at higher resolution.At 1,920px × 1,200px this image, also violates the graphic size rule.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I would suggest that the rules listed at the top of the forum be matched with what the upload system states (and does) during the upload process.While restricting the width to 1600 makes sense (although most people use 1900px and wider monitors these days) - limiting the individual size does not make sense to me. As long as I do not exceed the total 1.95MB upload limit it should not matter how many files I upload. Just my 2 cents. Some clarification might be in order.

The rules are quiet clear.The maximum size is 1600 pix width and maximum filesize is 200Kb for pictures UPLOADED to our server.This is all about two things.1 The capacity of our server2 The loading time of the page.If you want to show pictures in bigger ( unlimited ) sizes and stunning quality place them on another (your own) server and provide us with an url ( cold link ) to the picture on your server.Using url----/url tagsThis is an example ( and yes I broke another rule here showing a picture whats not mine :( )http://www.dutchfs.com/crew/leen/tijdelijk/bigshot.jpgUsing the INSERT IMAGE option creates a hot link to the picture on your own server and has the same restrictions as for uploading to our server.Why the rules say max 1024 pix width and max weight 200KB ? The max weight is obvious.The max size 1024 is something from the past I think ( in the old days hot-linked images were not downscaled automaticly )The rules need some tuning I think.The site-manager has been informed about the issue.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

My comments are in bold. Just trying to be constructive here.This is all about two things.1 The capacity of our server. I would opine that the effect on the capacity of the server is the same whether you upload a single 1.95MB shot or ten 195KB shots. Disk usage remains the same. Not to mention File Allocation Table pointers (or similar) here. One file file has only one entry but 10 files have 10 entries.2 The loading time of the page. Here I disagree. Here is why :Take my post. To load the page the thumbnail that people see is 500x313 pixels and weighs in at 30.05 KB. If you want to see the picture full size at 1.95MB that is a total graphic bandwidth usage of 1.95MB + 30.05KB (approx 1980.05KB)If on the other hand if I had 10 pictures at 195KB each and 10 thumbnails at 30.05KB each this will give you a total of 10x30.05=1.95MB total graphic bandwidth usage (approximately 2250.50KB). What is also not included here is the extra bandwidth that is used when closing and opening 10 individual shots.I am in effect saying the my post has used less bandwidth than if I had 10 shots and viewed them all individually. And we all understand that a page with one thumbnail will load faster than a page with 10 thumbnails.The rules need some tuning I think. I agree.The site-manager has been informed about the issue. Of course - let's see if we can improve on this service (which is great as is - no complaints)Thanks for reading folks.

Screens bigger than 200 Kb are not allowed to be uploaded here on this forum according to the rules.If you post ten screens of 200 KB you`l have 2Mb thats correct.We do however not offer the possibility of uploading one screen of 2 Mb instead.About the weight of the thumbs you might have a point.Let see what the new rules will bring.CheersLeen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints