Sign in to follow this  
bazthehat

C152 Cruise RPM

Hi all,I've recently bought the C152 to practise with as I'm currently training for my PPL in a 152. First off, I have to say that the flight characteristics and handling is very good, and very similar to what I'm experiencing when training.Apart from in the cruise...In my training (and in a few POH's I've found on t'internet) the cruise RPM should be around 2150, giving typically close to 90-100 KIAS depending on various factors (altitude, temperature, weight etc.) But when I set that value in the Carenado C152, I'm lucky to be getting 80 KIAS when straight and level, sometimes less. In fact, in order to achieve even 90 KIAS I'm having to give it nearly full power. Has anyone else seen this (or been bothered by this?) It's about the only bugging factor for me in my home training (well, that and things like no starter warning light nor an ADF that handles decimals) with this model.Looking forward to reading responses.Bazthehat

Flown a bunch of 152's and 152 Aerobats in real life, as well as PA-38's and AA-1's that are also powered of O-235 engines. 2150 is low. Normal cruise RPM would be 2300-2450 in most cases, depending on the operators SOP's and what type of flight you are doing. I would be gob smacked to see a 152 with an 0-235 (or any other aircraft using that engine for that fact) do 100knts IAS (TAS maybe at a long shot, up high) at 2150 especially with the age some engines are these days. Then again general aviation often gob smacks me. Double check that the 152 you fly in real life is 0-235 powered and what prop it has.Regards, Scott

The 152's I used to fly were run at 2350 rpm and 85kt was about what you'd get below 4000ft. Above 4000ft? No idea - never did it.Gary

I flew yesterday in a 152 and at 2150 RPM I was getting around 90 KIAS. In the carenado version I'm lucky to hit 80 at that revs.Still, happy to fly in FSX at 2350 if that sorks for that aircraft.

In fact, a quick hunt in AFE's Pilots Guide to the 152 says on page 43 that the cruise is typically 2150 RPM giving around 95 KIAS, which ties in with my experience.Of course, different aircraft have different specs- maybe a POH for this aeroplane would be nice, Mr Carenado?

In fact, a quick hunt in AFE's Pilots Guide to the 152 says on page 43 that the cruise is typically 2150 RPM giving around 95 KIAS, which ties in with my experience.Of course, different aircraft have different specs- maybe a POH for this aeroplane would be nice, Mr Carenado?
If need be, you can boost your engine a bit by changing[piston_engine]power_scalar = 1.125 // was 1for a 12.5% boost, or 1.10 for a 10% boost in power..basically equivalent to getting a fresh engine rebuild.

Bert

Hi Bazthehat, I had just the same experience with the 152. However i found out, sort of by chance, that it has to do with which model you use. The variant with fairings on the wheels actually flyes about 10 knots faster...and it makes sence. However Carenado forgot to mention this in the variant comments in fsx. I share your views on the 152, and excellent plane and a VC that are very lifelike. Lars

The Carenado 152 is one of my favourite ga planes to! The sounds are amazing and with the Orbx HD interiors it looks really nice! Here's a video I've done a while ago, nothing elaborated tough:

are you certain the C-152 you use in your training uses KIAS and not MPH? It's very common to see these older planes with gauges showing airspeed in MPH.

Guest bstolle

The 152 was certified in 1977 and by that time the ASI was AFAIK in KIAS(FAA switch from mph to kts happened in the 70s)