Sign in to follow this  
Guest EricL

FSW clouds in the library!

Chris, pardon my ignorance, but what is "dtx" or "dtx3". I'm confused...LOL. I downloaded the textures from your link (2 files; FIX V2 & HIGHEST CLOUDS PERFORMANCE) above and copied all into the FS texture folder, overwriting when prompted. Is this right? I had previously used your first release of the temporary textures. So I am in effect overwriting those files? Also, when I first got FS9 I went through all the tips and setup the sim as recommended by you. I recall you and others said NOT to check "render to texture" for better performance. Now you are saying use "render to texture"...I'm confused.Regards,Tom

My sim crashes on "loading weather " now since I downloaded the new clouds. Any ideas? I am really confused, maybe I should revert back to your original tempory fix Chris?Thanks,Tom

Hi, "2 files; FIX V2 & HIGHEST CLOUDS PERFORMANCE`We are not talking about fps&fix 2 in this thread, but we are talking about the Highest clouds performance 650 kb version, you don`t need to download fps&fixv2. Download only the 650 kb versionI never said anything about disable render to texture, I was talking about panelastexture=0. Your sim crash because render to texture is not enabled in fs2004 like stated in the readme :)Anyways if you don't want to enable the render to texture, use the 32 bit cumulus. Read the readme.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Thanks for the reply Chris. I took the liberty between forum messages here and reinstalled your original v2 to put my system back to where it was. I also deleted the Cirrus dtx3 files that I loaded into my texture folder and overwrote with the 32bit 'friendly Cirrus and cumulus. All is fine now...no system crash. My mistake was putting the dtx3 files into my texture folder instead of just the 32bit files. I remember now, I was wrong about the render to texture comment, sorry for that. As for the readme, when I click on the RTF doc I get a black screen with FSW logo and links that do not work. So therefore I cannot read the "readme". Using the 32bit now I will disable the render to texture. BTW I really appreciate your contributions to the FS community.Regards,Tom

Chris, I am now using the latest 32bit cirrus & cumulous files that were up in the Avsim library today. This is really weird, the clouds below the plane look outstanding, but when I look up from spot view there is a big square blotchy box of grey, white, overcast where it should be blue sky or maybe upper clouds. I can see blue sky around the outside of the overcast box, but it does not look normal. If I go back to your original cloud fix I'm fine. So I guess the latest clouds just don't work on my system. I think I'll go back to the clouds I had before.Thanks,Tom

Guest jabberthecat

Thank you Chris.Very nice - I achieved a needed FPS boost and can live with theminor loss of clould detail.Was able to up my cloud draw distance to 50 from 30 and coveragefrom Low to High and still hold acceptable FPS.- Myles

Guest radarbeam

Great package! I've gained about 4 fps with the cloud coverage on high!Radarbeam

Guest EricL

>Hi,> "2 files; FIX V2 & HIGHEST CLOUDS PERFORMANCE`>>>We are not talking about fps&fix 2 in this thread, but we are>talking about the Highest clouds performance 650 kb version,>you don`t need to download fps&fixv2. Download only the 650 kb>version>>I never said anything about disable render to texture, I was>talking about panelastexture=0. Your sim crash because render>to texture is not enabled in fs2004 like stated in the readme>:)>>Anyways if you don't want to enable the render to texture, use>the 32 bit cumulus. Read the readme.Chris,I'm also confused with all these options. Could you please detail a little bit what the following options and files are for:- PanelAsTexture switch : What's the difference between 0 and 1? I tried both value but could not see anything different.- RenderToTexture option : I have it checked, but, again, what does this option do?- About fpsAndFixV2 and Highest Cloud performance files : I don't understand what each file is for, and if they are mutually exclusive or if the "Highest Cloud performance" is just an optimization (dtx3) of texture that were already present in fpsAndFixV2.So, can I please ask that you detail a little bit more what each file is for?Thank you very much for your work. As others have already said, it is truly appreciated by a lot of people.Eric.