Sign in to follow this  
cast65

NGX+ iMac = true?

I'm running mac, but I use bootcamp for FSX. Now I plan to buy a new iMac, what do you think about this, NGX will work fine?

• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

So, what do you think?Carl

I'm running mac, but I use bootcamp for FSX. Now I plan to buy a new iMac, what do you think about this, NGX will work fine?
  • 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

So, what do you think?Carl

Just curious, what's your existing iMac and how's your performance now?

Just curious, what's your existing iMac and how's your performance now?
Today: 3.60 GHz Intel Core 2 DuoRAM: 4GB DDR3ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MBMed default scenery and Maddog MD-80 I have about 12-15 FPS.What do you think, will it get much better with the new one?/Carl

Today: 3.60 GHz Intel Core 2 DuoRAM: 4GB DDR3ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MBMed default scenery and Maddog MD-80 I have about 12-15 FPS.What do you think, will it get much better with the new one?/Carl
Ryan would be best to comment, but you should do a bit better. It's my understanding and experience that FSX performance is all about processor and memory speed.

Probably not much better & possibly worse once you're in something as feature-rich as the NGX. As big a Mac fan as I am, you really should consider a PC for FSX. Running windows in a virtual PC doesn't help at all. At least I assume that's how boot camp works, I use parallels on my macbook.

Bootcamp is not virtual machine, but you restart your computer to access the bootcamp, ie. to partition the drive. What are your tips for making my new iMac better? Batting%20Eyelashes.gif

Ultimately, an NVIDIA card instead of an AMD. As best graphics card as you can get with your money on that one really.

Not for crticism but I'think if you use your MAC for FSX and gaming you could buy a better PC for the price of that MAC or any other MAC.

Bootcamp is not virtual machine, but you restart your computer to access the bootcamp, ie. to partition the drive. What are your tips for making my new iMac better? Batting%20Eyelashes.gif
Oh, OK. Mine runs both systems at the same time. In that case, you'll see a fair improvement, but probably not as good as a PC with same/similar specs.

A PC with the same specs will perform identically. Boot Camp is nothing more than a tool that allows you to partition your hard drive, you are creating another partition. You then boot into the Windows install dvd just like you would on a PC, and install Windows onto that partition. When you turn on your computer, you select which OS to boot into. It is a multi-boot setup.

I would advise against an iMac for FSX. I do love iMacs and have one myself, but those are just not the machines for flying with FSX. The key for a good running FSX with all the add-ons is the latest i7, 6GB of memory and a video card like the nVidia 580 (if you buy new hardware)... AND you want to overclock that i7 because it can be done without the risk of damage if the cooling is good. This will give you an excellent machine for FSX.However you just can't overclock an iMac to something relevant for FSX. That cooling is never going to provide a stable 4.5+ Ghz on the i7 2600K.I say keep your existing iMac for everything else than flying, and buy a custom-built PC for FSX for the money of the new iMac, you'll have the perfect solution.Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I think your ghey because you use mac. :( But those specs should run FSX pretty good, the i7 CPU is known to run FSX pretty good. :(

Bad idea due to the overclocking - you'll be able to get the CPU up to 1.5+GHz higher than it'll run at in the iMac on a custom PC.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Not for crticism but I'think if you use your MAC for FSX and gaming you could buy a better PC for the price of that MAC or any other MAC.
OH NO YOU DI'INT! :( :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Mac or not, the real key to FSX performance is a decent graphics card in conjunction with an overclocked i7 processor (3.9-4.0+ Ghz). My proc at stock 3.2 just doesn't cut it in add ons. For instance the PMDG JS41 really started to shine around heavy sceneries with max settings once I was overclocked and testing above 3.8GHz.That you're purchasing iMacs suggest that you are definitely not an overclocker... In that case, buy the most expensive system they offer and you'll see the same performance! :( I have nothing against Macs save for the price, I promise. Finally, obviously a notebook isn't going to run FSX well. It's all mobile technology which is severely anemic for such demanding programs. For instance the 6970"M" for "mobile". And the processor which will throttle considerably when it heats up. If FSX is important to you, take Markus's advice.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules