Sign in to follow this  
Skysurfer7

ADF & STALL

Hi Finally I visited a friend who has the B58. I was very surprised, VC is fantastic, its far the best piston for manual flight I have ever encountered in FSX. But the stall & vmc characteristics are just not right, sometimes its so unrealistic that you cant recover....?It would be a great training aircraft if the stall, vmc, & ADF could be fixed.....is anything being done about that?Thanx/R

Guest CharlieP51

Same unflyable STALL performance issues here. This Baron is stall-prone and won't recover..ever. I have applied the service packs..no change. My airspeed can be over 140 kts and it may ( or may not) decide to stall.....this was $34.99 !!!! Is there a FIX for this STALL PROBLEM? THe Baron is prretty to look at..just don't try to fly it...pls fix this!!!!

Hi Finally I visited a friend who has the B58. I was very surprised, VC is fantastic, its far the best piston for manual flight I have ever encountered in FSX. But the stall & vmc characteristics are just not right, sometimes its so unrealistic that you cant recover....?It would be a great training aircraft if the stall, vmc, & ADF could be fixed.....is anything being done about that?Thanx/R

If the stall behaviour is so important to you, perhaps you could take a moment to describe one of the situations where you stalled that you think was incorrect. Please tell us things such as IAS, pitch, bank, flaps etc. preferably with a screen shot. This would be much more useful then capitals, exclamation marks and the price you paid.

Guest CharlieP51
If the stall behaviour is so important to you, perhaps you could take a moment to describe one of the situations where you stalled that you think was incorrect. Please tell us things such as IAS, pitch, bank, flaps etc. preferably with a screen shot. This would be much more useful then capitals, exclamation marks and the price you paid.
OK..I'll try to describe the stall scenario that is unrecoverable with the Carenado Baron 58 but is recoverable flying the FSX default Baron.A gentle downward dive through a 60 degreee turn..tyrying to pull out, level wings and stay flying is not an option in this situation with the Carenado..it begins to pull out and get it's nose uyp (around 150-170 kts here now)but falls like a rock instead..no matter the user's controller input.As best I can duplicate this with the FSX default Baton I never get the unrrecolverable stall. It simply recovers as expected and responds to user controller input as expected.I have no other aircraft that have this obvious issue. I hope my further details can help get this verified performance bug fixed. I wonder when SP3 for this Baron will be released???

Guest bstolle
OK..I'll try to describe the stall scenario that is unrecoverable with the Carenado Baron 58 but is recoverable flying the FSX default Baron.A gentle downward dive through a 60 degreee turn..tyrying to pull out, level wings and stay flying is not an option in this situation with the Carenado..it begins to pull out and get it's nose uyp (around 150-170 kts here now)but falls like a rock instead..no matter the user's controller input.As best I can duplicate this with the FSX default Baton I never get the unrrecolverable stall. It simply recovers as expected and responds to user controller input as expected.I have no other aircraft that have this obvious issue. I hope my further details can help get this verified performance bug fixed. I wonder when SP3 for this Baron will be released???
The stall behaviour of the Carenado B58 is (in the ptich axis) similar to the Realair Duke which has the same 'problem'. Looks to me like a left over from the SF260 stall which really does needs a drastic reduction of the AoA to get the flow attached to the laminar flow wing again.Even the Realair Decathlon has this wrong behaviour but no one complains about that....The problem with the B58 is that the stall angle of attack is WAY too low which leads to a stall at a much flatter attitude than it should.What you are describing is an accelerated stall and in that case the too low stall AoA is even more noticable. Nevertheless the stall speed and the stall warning are correct, so if you stay within the normal flight envelope she's flying and handling nicely, even engine out ops is ok.Another much more serious problem is the totally wrong yaw behaviour at and after the stall with the B58....

I don't want to sound rude, but I would not recommend using the default aircraft as an example of correct behaviour for anything, let alone accurate flight dynamics. What is a "60 degree turn" and what do you mean by "A gentle downward dive"? How many gees are you pulling when you pull up? Why not start with a simple and reproducable stall. Fly straight and level at 6,000 feet and reduce your power. As the aircraft slows, you will have to pull back on the stick to maintain your altitude. You will feel the plane buffet just before it stalls. Make a note of what speed you feel the buffet then to recover release the stick, increase power and nose down. Repeat this a few times until you are comfortable that you can detect the buffet, note the speed and recover from the stall. You now know what your 'clean' stall speed is and how to recover. Now do the same thing while maintaining a standard turn in one direction and then the other. Your stall speed should be much higher, but the recovery is the same, release the stick, add power, nose down. If you still feel the 58 is not accurate, come back and describe a situation we can reproduce, and maybe we will agree with you.

Guest bstolle
1.If you still feel the 58 is not accurate, come back and describe a situation we can reproduce, and maybe we will agree with you.2.You will feel the plane buffet just before it stalls. Make a note of what speed you feel the buffet 3.You now know what your 'clean' stall speed is and how to recover.
1.It's not accurate. The stall AoA is way too low. It's that simple. As mentioned above it's not a laminar flow wing. The too low stall AoA is also making the landing flare unneccessary difficult and unrealistic.2.It's new to me that Carenado planes simulates stall buffet? I have the B58 but didn't detect any buffeting.3.Why does one need to test the stall speed? It's marked on the ASI. BTW, If you double the pitch stability on the default B58 in the cfg file, it's not a bad plane at all.

"If you still feel the 58 is not accurate, come back and describe a situation we can reproduce, and maybe we will agree with you"5000 feet power off stall, landing config, full stall (applying back pressure until the nose drops), recovery- nose down full power, when speed increases & is sufficient I apply back pressure but nothing happens until I've lost 1000 or so and the speed is way above VSo.............?5000 feet power of stall, clean config, full stall-appplying full power-lowering nose-speed increases, trying to pitch up- even thou speed is around 120 kts nothing happens the pitch is not responsive, the b58 falls like a brick, after around 140 kts, 20 degrees nose down, and 2000 feet altitude loss, its recoverable...........sometimes......?Now.... somethings wrong hare! and It ain't my flying skills!Best regards/RPS. No other add-on I have behave like that!

Guest CharlieP51
"If you still feel the 58 is not accurate, come back and describe a situation we can reproduce, and maybe we will agree with you"5000 feet power off stall, landing config, full stall (applying back pressure until the nose drops), recovery- nose down full power, when speed increases & is sufficient I apply back pressure but nothing happens until I've lost 1000 or so and the speed is way above VSo.............?5000 feet power of stall, clean config, full stall-appplying full power-lowering nose-speed increases, trying to pitch up- even thou speed is around 120 kts nothing happens the pitch is not responsive, the b58 falls like a brick, after around 140 kts, 20 degrees nose down, and 2000 feet altitude loss, its recoverable...........sometimes......?Now.... somethings wrong hare! and It ain't my flying skills!Best regards/RPS. No other add-on I have behave like that!
This best describes my stall issues as well. I never said the default FSDX Baron 58 was a 'correct' flight model or that it might be the Baron defacto 'standard'. The difference is the Carenado Baron 58 has such odd stall characteristics that this bird stands out from ALL other of my FSX planes - in a bad way.

Guys, I am not being smart here, and I am not criticising your flying skills, but when you report a problem you really need to describe exactly what does happen and exactly what you think should happen. Rodd, in clean config, at what speed did the nose drop? What is the listed stall speed?

Guest bstolle
Guys, I am not being smart here, and I am not criticising your flying skills, but when you report a problem you really need to describe exactly what does happen and exactly what you think should happen. Rodd, in clean config, at what speed did the nose drop? What is the listed stall speed?
Did you even read my post? Even if the stall speed is ok, the stall AoA is way too low and the laminar flow behaviour is wrong.That's why a secondary stall is almost unavoidable (and a nice long flared landing is impossible) Rodd explained very well what he did. Have you checked at which AoA the stall occurs ????

Did you even read my post? Even if the stall speed is ok, the stall AoA is way too low and the laminar flow behaviour is wrong.That's why a secondary stall is almost unavoidable (and a nice long flared landing is impossible) Rodd explained very well what he did. Have you checked at which AoA the stall occurs ????
I agree. I liked the Carenado Vtail and f33a and consider their handling/feel very close but there is a lot that is not quite right with the Baron. Still a great bird though.Best light twin handling is the Mivitz 310-and reminds me more of a Baron than this incarnation.

Yes, I agree the stall characteristics are not even close. Power off stall, flaps and gear up maintain 6,000 until it stalls at around 75, 80 knots, the aircraft breaks nose gently drops, add power and gently pull up at about 95 or 100 knts. However It just keeps diving and there is no control using the vertical stabilizers, it continues until you crash. I have tried it a number of times with the same results. Have been a pilot for over 30 years so I know these stall characteristic are not realistic.Cheers Martin

Did you even read my post?
I have read your all posts, but I don't see any evidence that you have actually read or understood any of mine. Which part of "is the totally wrong yaw behaviour at and after the stall" do you think would allow anyone else to see what you are experiancing? What part of "angle of attack is WAY too low" says what the angle is? Or why you think it is wrong? Or what you think should be?
... the stall AoA is way too low and the laminar flow behaviour is wrong....Have you checked at which AoA the stall occurs ????
What are you talking about? AoA has only a secondary relationship to stalls. If you are talking about the critical wing angle, perhaps you would like to suggest how you measured it in a GA aircraft and what value you think the 58 should have. Who says the "laminar flow behaviour is wrong"? What is wrong with it? How did you measure it? What should it be?
Rodd explained very well what he did.
Rodd did not explain what he did well at all. He flew the scenario I described of a level flight stall and recovery. Yes, so? Did he report the key details requested? No! He said 'it' was wrong, but he didn't say what 'it' was or what was wrong with 'it'? "speed is way above VSo" how much is "way above"? 2 knots, 20knots? He complained about losing height, well duh, it was a stall recovery, of course he lost altitude. And so on. I am not criticising his flying skills, but his reporting skills leave a lot to be desired. Nowhere have I said the stall behaviour is correct. Nowhere have I said the stall recovery (which is completly different) is correct. But nobody doing the complaining has posted a simple scenario that anyone can just go and fly. Nobody doing the complaining has posted a single value that they think is wrong and nobody doing the complaining has posted a single reference to back up their complaint.

Guest bstolle
1. What are you talking about? AoA has only a secondary relationship to stalls. 2. If you are talking about the critical wing angle, perhaps you would like to suggest how you measured it in a GA aircraft and what value you think the 58 should have. 3. Who says the "laminar flow behaviour is wrong"? What is wrong with it? How did you measure it? What should it be?
Well, your post is a real eye-opener. 1. ??? AoA is the ONLY thing that is stall related. It's not the speed, just plain and simple a too high AoA makes an airplane stall.2. Don't know how to measure it because I've never heard or read about a 'critical wing angle' what should that be? I hope that it isn't a serious question that you don't know how to measure the AoA. It doesn't matter what I 'think', just check what airfoil(s) the B58 uses and at which AoA the stall occurs with that airfoil (with the correct RE number)3. Once you've found out which airfoil the B58 uses you will see that it's not a laminar one ;)But considering your questions and statements I severly doubt that you will agree on any point I mentioned.