Sign in to follow this  
Guest jahman

Intel Announces Tri-Gate Technology for 22nm fab

Nice little explanation, but if they can't even build a shrink-ray gun, I don't think I'm interested in their processors.Just to clarify, this will be implemented on Ivy Bridge!SOURCE

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Wow, if the new process can increase IPC and reduce power consumption (= even better overclockability) this is going to be great

If they can find a way to improve stability, we will be at 6GHz+ in no time and FSX will be so happy! Does this trigate technology mean less voltage is required?

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Guest jahman
Nice little explanation, but if they can't even build a shrink-ray gun, I don't think I'm interested in their processors.Just to clarify, this will be implemented on Ivy Bridge!SOURCE
Interesting article, with the Ivy Bridge now in plain view:_52488415_trigatediagram.jpg5 + 35% = 6.75 GHz OC? FSX will rock!Why do they need new fabs if they have shrink-ray guns?Cheers,- jahman.

Why do they need new fabs if they have shrink-ray guns?
Haha, excellent question! I've been reading around on this tri-gate stuff a bit and Intel seems to be painting a rather bleak picture for AMD. They are saying these chips will put them 3 years ahead of AMD! That's ballsy! I find it a little fishy that they would make such claims on a chip that's not coming out for 6 more months - all just 1 month before the release of Bulldozer. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but here's to hoping AMD knocks one out of the park with Bulldozer! I want some sort of trick play from AMD. More than that, I want a cheap Ivy Bridge upgrade next year!

Corey Meeks

Black%20Eye.gif:angry:I am getting ready to upgrade from my "frame display thingy (5-10 fps)" to a 2600k sandy system and now this.I know I should, and will wait until the new(p.....????) mobo shows up this month, but I was under the impression that I could simply get the new ivy when released and replace sandy.Is this true?Keep in mind to use simple caveman terms here as I am not able to compute beyond first grade English when it comes to these things.Thanks for some clarification of this never ending salad.P.S. I know technology evolves constantly, and it would be crazy to keep up for most, but I figured I would be safe with sandy for now, and ivy later on on the same mobo.

Waleed N

Yep, according to Intel, Ivy Bridge will drop right into your P67 or Z68 board. It's only confusing because Intel is releasing Sandy Bridge E (Socket 2011) just months, if not weeks, before Ivy Bridge.EDIT: Ah, it appears I may be wrong. According to this article it looks like Ivy Bridge will still operate on socket 1155, but it may not be compatible with the P67, H67, or Z68 chipsets - so new motherboard will probably be required.RE-EDIT: But then there's this article which says Ivy Bridge WILL be compatible with 6 series motherboards after a BIOS update - so it's rather confusing. One should note that this article is a couple months newer, so it's probably a little closer to the eventual truth.

Corey Meeks

I'm sold and will be moving to Ivy Bridge from my i7 920 when it comes out. 6+ GHz should push FSX to incredible levels of performance despite it's CPU intensive nature.

Oooh, pritty!! I love powah. :Drooling:

Having just got my 2600k system I can only hope the ivy bridge CPU drops into the p67 mobo!

AMD's response. Or her foundries responses anyway...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384927,00.aspI wish AMD would catch up! The competition is leaps ahead. (Going by the cards on the table)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest jahman
AMD's response. Or her foundries responses anyway...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384927,00.aspI wish AMD would catch up! The competition is leaps ahead. (Going by the cards on the table)
AMD: "We don't need them!"Me: Are you kidding?The reason behind Tri-Planr gates' efficiency is simple:
  1. Chip logic gates use electrical fields to control electric currents.
  2. Electric fields diminish proportinally with the square of the distance
  3. Tri-Gates gates use elctric fields on three sides of the conductor being controlled,
  4. vs. only on one side for planar gates.
  5. Therefore Tri-Gates need a lower electric field to control se same amount of current than planar gates.

Cheers,- jahman.