Sign in to follow this  
blackheart2502

Wear and Tear

This question is for Ryan or someone on the dev team. I just finnished reading about the new Aerosoft Katana and it's damage and wear model. I was wondering if we'll be seeing anything like that on the NGX? I was just curious because I remember that some features were being held back for competitive advantage reasons. I had a long drive the other day and I was thinking about what could you guys possibly have up your sleave that is such a secret. We know it's not the HUGS because you've shown us pics and video of that. I just couldn't think of anything that hasn't been done on a commercial jet add-on. The MD-11 is already like a real plane! The wear/damage thing popped into my wishful little mind after reading about the Katana. Why else would you have to get so detailed with the systems? I can just imagine how awsome it would be to have to keep up with the maintenance on our NGX's!!! We'd really have to kick the tires before we lit the fires.Hiram Hunt

I've got the Katana you're talking about and it really is great! For such a small aircraft they've really packed a lot of neat features into it and it's a joy to fly too!I remember someone on the dev team saying the NGX will model the different types of brakes and their performance differences. Also the winglet models and their performance advantage over non-wingletted models. I'd be interested to know about damage/wear and tear too. Though it would be quite cool, I think for a commercial jet simulation it's not as necessary for a pilot to worry about the maintenance of the aircraft as it is for the pilot of a GA aircraft. Commercial jets in their nature are so complicated that they have a team of experts that maintain each individual part of the aircraft - engines, avionics, airframe etc. You'd never see the Captain of a 738 pop out and open up the cowling and top up the oil in the No.1 for example!!Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

You'd never see the Captain of a 738 pop out and open up the cowling and top up the oil in the No.1 for example!!Tom Wright
No, they make the co-pilot do it, especially if it is raining. :( Actually there are plenty of things they could add in a similar fashion to the excellent Aerosoft Katana, the walkaround is indeed something the poor co-pilot gets lumbered with if it is raining, checking the pitot covers are off and the static posts are clear, the wear on the tires and the creep marks, as well as the chocks and gear pins and there are of course a few 'remove before flight' tags to pull off if you are unfortunate enough to be the first crew of the day operating the thing. And since many simmers appear to be obsessed with doing 'cold and dark' start ups for some bizarre reason, one assumes that kind of thing would also be up their street.Crews do indeed have to check some fluid levels, even on airliners, you can check the hydraulic levels from ducking into the gear bay for example, and of course they give the tail bump stop limit marker the once over, also make sure the gust locks are off, and that no turbulators are loose. A crew can also take a rough guess at whether there will be any cold soak ice on the upper wing by looking if there is any ice on the lower wing, since it usually happens underneath a bit if it is bad on to of the wing, and there are invariably painted marks on the wings which indicate the limit of areas where you can get away with having ice and still take off okay.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There is a robust failures module, but as far as any kind of maintenance simulation, that is well beyond the scope of our mission. Have you ever seen the maintenance manuals for an NG? This would be an extremely time consuming endeavor that would be outside of the interest of most of our customers.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Now I'm really intrigued. If it's not a wear and tear model what could the big surprise be? Vin will the optional vertical profile on the ND be available on the NGX? Hiram Hunt

If you mean the VSD, I remember some time ago, that it was confirmed. (Think also there was a hint of that in a preview screenshot a while ago)

Now I'm really intrigued. If it's not a wear and tear model what could the big surprise be? Vin will the optional vertical profile on the ND be available on the NGX? Hiram Hunt
Hiram-As you said it's a surprise. So don't think too much about that or it won't surprise you ;)But i'm sure PMDG will do something absolutely amazing cause they've always done good products before. :)

regards,

Alexander Marx

I think Robert would liove the Katana - he'd get to use a sponge and pail for cleaning and go over the inside with the vacuum cleaner lol. Just needs some polish now hehe.Just some random thoughts there.On another note - Any luck with the Yananyl paint for the 737NGX? I know the painter said it would be VERY difficult because of the livery lines around the plane.John Ellison