Sign in to follow this  
cowboy10uk

Switching to Map on GPS

Hi guys, I wonder if any one can help me, I purchased this from Just flight this morning, and have to say I love it, just had a great 3 hr flight from cosford to Germany, However I did notice two issues that I wonder if anyone can help me with,1. I cant for love or money get the GPS to display the map view, I know that on the 430 you should click the right hand knob clockwise once and this will put the display to map. When I attempt to do this is just goes to the default nav page but this time without my course showing. Any ideas guys. I would like to display the map view on top 430 and the default nav info on bottom, so I have everything at a glance. 2. The Weather radar dosnt seem to be picking up my weather. I am aware that there is an issue with this, however im not sure if its meant to have been fixed or not, I have not updated as the home page stated that you dont need to if you've only purchased after Jan. Not sure if it makes a difference but I am using REX 2 for my weather and not the default fsx engine.I have looked at the Reality XP replacments but to be honest the install looks very very complicated to me :) Anyway Keep up the great work, this is my first Carendo aircraft and I must say Im very impressed, Just started a round the world trip in FSX, using the C340, Im sure by the end of the trip I should now how to work everything :DCowboy10uk

If you go to the expense of buying add on aeroplanes and want to make realistic flights, as it seems you do, then Reality XP is the missing piece of your jigsaw. Thus, even if you got the problem sorted with your default FS GPS, you'd still be using something which, whilst pretty good, is really a poor relation when compared to the Reality XP GPS, which short of being a real one, is about the next best thing.If installing it is what is putting you off, then there is no need to be worried about that at all, it is actually pretty simple to do. The thing downloads, auto-installs for FS9 and FSX, then it auto configures both sims, a pop up dialogue box appears and you can select any aircraft you like from a list in the dialogue box and choose to add the gauge, and a little utility helps you to position the thing. Of course you can manually add the gauge as well, by simply opening an aircraft's panel config file and changing the gauge name from the standard FS GPS to the reality XP one where you see it listed in the panels or the VC, and that's all there is to it. One or two aircraft even auto-install the Reality XP GPS, for example the shiny new Aerosoft Katana, which will actually let you install the gauge from right in the sim via a pop up menu.Sure the Reality XP gauges are a bit pricey when compared to the fact that you could certainly buy another FS add-on aeroplane for the same money, possibly even two, but if you like realistic GA aircraft, then you owe it to yourself to not shortchange them with the avionics fit. You won't be sorry if you buy that Reality XP GPS, that I can promise you. There aren't that many FS add-ons that are genuine 'must haves', and the phrase sometimes gets bandied about unnecessarily by reviewers, but when Bert Pieke said in his Avsim review of those gauges, that it was a must have for any serious GA flight simmer, he was spot on.The documentation for them is great too by the way. You would know how to use a real one after reading those PDFs, which if you fly for real, could actually be a really useful thing to have done.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Chock, Yep I will freely admit that its the installing thats the only thing that is putting my off these products. I am aware that they are great add ons and too be honest the prive isnt that bad, considering what you get. However all the instructions apart from this one are talking about having to open up panels, and cut items from it before adding these and then they dont always work. Im no computer programmer or Artist so as I dont want to ruin my aircraft, I am rather hesitant. IF they do install as easy as you are stating into the C340 Then, I think I may have to look again, However I guess I would need 2 430 units and a wether unit, which may be puching my luck with the wife :) Thanks for your advice, I will go and look again at these, As ive just started a round the world trip, then they might come in handy.Cowboy10uk

Even if you don't use the Reality XP installation utility, really, there is nothing hard about manually installing gauges into FS aeroplanes in the VC, it requires nothing more than the ability to type in the name of the gauge. Here, I'll prove it, look how simple this is:I wanted the Reality XP GNS 530 in my FSD Piper Saratoga's VC, which has the default GPS 500 in it, so I went to the FSD Saratoga's folder in FS, opened up the panel folder, and double clicked on the panel config file, which opens it up in the Notepad text editor. I scrolled down until I found the entry for the GPS 500 in the VC section, highlighted the name of the gauge, and then overtyped the name of the Reality XP GNS 530 gauge instead. I pressed Control+S to save the changes, and that's it, the FSD Saratoga now has the Reality XP GNS 500 in the VC.Do this:gaugeswap.jpgAnd you get this:gaugeswap2.jpgThat's how easy it is. It takes less than 30 seconds.Al

Alan Bradbury

Damn, Ok didnt think it was that simple, All the instructions I had read was making it sound like a nightmare. I think you have convinced me, Ill treat myself to a gps unit next month, Sadly my funds are tied into a track Ir 5 and shopping trip for the wife this month, since she has let me go to the Weston Show next week :) Thanks for the info.Cowboy10uk

Cheers Chock you've just made it possible for me to strip another $100 out of my account! Shame%20On%20You.gif Like Cowboy, I thought it would be more hassle than that. :( 430 and 530 downloading now.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well, that's the down side, the RXP GPS gauge isn't exactly cheap, but then again it is a quality simulation of the real thing. So look at it this way, in addition to getting a realistic GPS in your aeroplanes, you now know how simple it is to screw around with swapping gauges about.Al

Alan Bradbury

1. I cant for love or money get the GPS to display the map view, I know that on the 430 you should click the right hand knob clockwise once and this will put the display to map. When I attempt to do this is just goes to the default nav page but this time without my course showing. Any ideas guys. I would like to display the map view on top 430 and the default nav info on bottom, so I have everything at a glance.
To get Map view, just click on the words that say 'Default Nav' above the right hand knob of the GNS430.RegardsDave

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

To get Map view, just click on the words that say 'Default Nav' above the right hand knob of the GNS430.RegardsDave
Searched for this.. just bought the new Baron for FSX. Thanks Frog! That's just what I needed... Thanks for making it easy.

you guys can also use this where a lot of enhances has been madehttp://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1794-adjusted-carenado-gps-version3-2/

My part of the panel.cfg with realityXp gns530 and orbx "STEC".//--------------------------------------------------------[Vcockpit01]Background_color=0,0,0size_mm=512,512visible=0pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$Panel_c340_1gauge00=C340!Panel_annunciator, 3,114,286,106gauge01=C340!DME_Screen, 3,1,286,111gauge02=C3401!Clock, 367,367,143,143gauge03=C340!autopilot, 3,222,206,102gauge04=C340!Annunciator_Panel, 291,1,218,364//*****************************gauge05=rxpGNS!GMA340,0,430,365,74//gauge05=C340!AOM,0,430,365,79//*****************************gauge06=C340!Prop Sync, 321,368,20,20gauge07=C340!Annunciator_Test, 344,368,20,20gauge08=C340!Low_thrust_lights, 2,391,362,36gauge09=C340!RPM_Lights_right, 211,223,77,35gauge10=C340!Prop_sync_light, 211,262,36,36gauge11=C340!Fuel_tank_light, 251,261,37,37gauge12=C340!Gear_clr_light, 5,328,104,58gauge13=C340!Gear_transition, 113,329,93,57gauge14=C340!RPM_Lights_left, 211, 302 ,77,35gauge15=C340!elt_light, 299,368,20,20//--------------------------------------------------------[Vcockpit02]Background_color=0,0,0size_mm=512,512visible=0pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$C340_WXRadargauge00=WX_Gauge340!WXGauge, 0,1,510,321gauge01=C340PRESS!C340_PRESS, 3,326,24,25gauge02=C340PRESS2!C340PRESS2, 36,323,28gauge03=C340!Cabin_Altitude_goal, 309,324,200,85gauge04=C340!Auto_taxi_onoff, 124,333,20,20//--------------------------------------------------------[Vcockpit03]Background_color=0,0,0size_mm=512,512visible=0pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$Panel_c340_3//****************************************gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS530, 2 ,162,320,230 gauge01=rxpGNS!GTX327,2,396,320,80//gauge02=C3403!Radiotrans, 2,78,331//*****************************************gauge03=C340!RadarAltitude, 330,330,178,178gauge04=C3402!FuelFlow, 341,160,168,168//*******************************************//gauge05=RadioADF!RadioAdf, 3,2,299gauge05=ORBXRad!ORBX_STEC_V1,2,6,296,60//*******************************************gauge06=C340!GEM6, 346,0,161,158gauge07=C340!Toggle_GPS, 72,181,182,113 wink.png