Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Grafix card "not receiving enough power"

Original spec: Intel E8500 3.16 / Intel DG33BU / Zogis GeForce 8800 GTS 512 / 4GB Corsair / Acasa 750w (Real) PSU (two months old) (All DDR2) - XP SP1 / FS9.1Location: Just off the beach, NE Brasil Just before the four-day Easter holiday my Mobo was diagnosed as oxidised beyond repair (the most common pc problem locally) and due to the lack of stock held in the local shops the only replacement immediately available was a Gigabyte G41MT-S2 DDR3 (with apparently an Intel G41 chipset). No shop had a DDR2 board, obliging me to swap my Corsair for Kingston DDR3. The tech warned me that the grafix card was also showing signs of rusting. After about a week with no apparent problems I started getting nVidia messages telling me that the grafix card wasnt receiving enough power and to check that the supplementary cable was connected. It was. The msg appeared randomly, sometimes at startup, sometimes later, sometimes never: the effect on FS9 was to drop Fps to 6, which made everything impossible. The tech did a bit of research and found some tuning options for the Mobo on their site (not included in any setup options when installing the card) and also discovered that the grafix driver currently installed was from 2009! (how both he and I missed that is a mystery), so updated the driver and boosted the Mobo. That day I immediately noticed cleaner textures and ran EGKK-LPPR in the iFly 737 with everything maxed out (inc. lots of real weather) without a hitch. No nVidia msg the whole day. This morning on bootup I got the msg. I restarted it and got no msg, but FS fps were 6. Tried another "game" - same. So, whatcha all think about this? Is this a Mobo problem, really not delivering enough power, or a grafix card problem, thinking its not receiving enough power due to oxidization on the contacts/inside? Please dont suggest its the PSU - the darm thing is new! And just to jump the gun a bit in case you reckon its the grafix card and to give me time to look around the two decent shops - what would be the best replacement card for this setup?Many thanks.

If your tech indicated that the video card was showing signs of oxidation, I'd start there. you can try removing it and use a pencil eraser to lightly rub the oxidation off the contacts. Also check the contacts where the power connector plugs into the video card. If it were the PSU, I'd expect more consistent problems. Mobo? Possibly but since it's new, I'd still opt for the video card.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Now this is getting more serious and I would like some serious help here please, cos something is definately going baaaad.After a week or so of working ok - still occasionally getting nVidia mesages and the grafix drop - the pc will refuse to boot - hanging up looking for HHDD and then telling me there are none. Twice now it has done this all day then the following morning booted ok and worked al day.Is this a Mobo thing? Is my mobo - a localmade G41-MT S2 - simply too weak to ddeal with the resto of my rig?Thanks

Borrow a power supply from someone and try that first.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Whilst obviously gratefull to you for taking the time to reply, I have to regret that I dont live in the same world as you do. In your world you have loads of pc-savvy friends, and at least one of them will have a spare, healthy, 650w PSU on a shelf ready to lend. Where I live things are nothing like that: I had ot order a 650w PSU and wait cos no-one had one in stock. And I had to buy a weak 775-architectura Mobo because nobody had any others, only the newer types. (Oh, and I dont have any freinds, but thats neither your fault nor your problem.)I used to get great help here - there are mile-long threads with my name on them from a cupla years back, with loads of people butting in and lending an opinion, but I guess I am asking all the wrong questions nowadays and nobody is interested.Thanks again.

Whilst obviously gratefull to you for taking the time to reply, I have to regret that I dont live in the same world as you do. In your world you have loads of pc-savvy friends, and at least one of them will have a spare, healthy, 650w PSU on a shelf ready to lend. Where I live things are nothing like that: I had ot order a 650w PSU and wait cos no-one had one in stock. And I had to buy a weak 775-architectura Mobo because nobody had any others, only the newer types. (Oh, and I dont have any freinds, but thats neither your fault nor your problem.)I used to get great help here - there are mile-long threads with my name on them from a cupla years back, with loads of people butting in and lending an opinion, but I guess I am asking all the wrong questions nowadays and nobody is interested.Thanks again.
HelloI would say it is your PSU, if your MB and Graphics card are oxidising then just imagine what the internals of your PSU are like.Why do you need to buy locally, can you not order over the internet?Sorry I cannot offer more help, sometimes we just have to best guess and swap components when things like this happen.

Thanks for the added input, Mad Dog (you deserve caps as far as I´m concerned).Whilst I know from experience that most thread-answerers here offer serious and thought-out advice based on years of experience, its a bit much for me to expect you to solve my problems with a few words sent through the ether. Avsim has been a source of support. knowledge and entertainment for years and I am sure that if it werent for this forum I would have given up on FS9 in 2001 when I bought it on a whim.That being said, and all thanks apart, it really is important to stress to everybody who tries to help me or anyone here that not all Flysimmers live in the IT-abundant and cheap US or Europe. I am in a medium-size city in Brasil where nobody risks keeping stock and anything even slightly outdated (like 775 architecture) disappears completely. There is also the sad fact that when I was flush with $ I built the best rig I could and for a good while ran FS9 maxed, but these days I am broke and trying to keep my Ferrari on the road with Fiat parts.Just as an anecdote (its a shame but I have nothing better to do than sit here blathering) when I built this rig in Jan 09 a lot of the parts came via the net from Sao Paulo, including the Antec case which is now orange with rust, and the transport truck was hijacked and mine and everybody else´s stuff stolen: the vendor and transporter actually sent copies of all the police reports as proof, and replaced eveything. Such occurences are far from rare here. But thats by-the-by.Buying mail order from the US starts out cheap (I am constantly amazed at the low prices bandied about in these forums) but the Govt slaps 60% tax on anything imported, making things more complicated. When speaking to my tech yesterday he said "But your PSU is new!" and of course he is right and I completely forgot (another of my problems, which is not relevant here): I swapped my 2 year old 750w for a 650 (the best I could get on quick order) in February and Mad Dogs´comment about oxidization was spot on - all the contacts were corroded so goodness knows what it was like inside. The new one is from the highly respected Acasa brand and is 650 real.I would hate to think that it IS the PSU because I would have to be without my pc for at least a week for them to be able to test it: the failures are so completely random - I have had no problem either with boot or grafix in the last two days, and whilst not wanting to hang my dirty washing out I have to admit that I am now pretty much housebound and pc-dependant.I am grateful to you of course, and to the techs who have done all they can think of, but as they dont have parts to lend for long-term testing all they can do is narrow down the possibilities.In an ideal world I would simply build a new rig, with Win7, i7 and all the biggest and shiniest bells and whistles, and perhaps even buy FSX to look at the elephants and flying birds and those (much too big and scary-looking) waves - but instead I live between a rock and a hard place.Thank you guys, and thank you for putting up with this: I needed to vent and unfortunately aimed it at your kind selves.Best regards.