Sign in to follow this  
Guest victorwest

FPS, Traffic at Major Airports and FS9

Well I know this has probably been mentioned before but I'll post it anyway.I have FS9 with Mytraffic 2004 and like many others, my system (Athlon 1800XP, Radeon 9600 Pro, 512MB)struggles at the major aiports - fps below 10 at Chicago o' Hare - when the traffic slider is high (over 60%)and other sliders are nearly maxed out. Oh well, I think. 90% of the rest of the world isn't this busy so I'm not bothered. Then I think to myself, major airports...hmmmmm...my FS9 settings have GA and airline traffic ticked....hmmmm...do I go to the major airport to see Cessnas or do I go to the major airports to see 747's? Well, at Charles de Gaul in Paris, I decided to untick GA aircraft. This seemed to give a good boost to framerates, at 100% traffic, from 14 to 22fps. I only did it quickly so it probably needs further investigation but at times when you need all the fps you can find, why clog up the works with superfulous traffic. You can always tick the GA box after you've cleared the congestion.

Guest yarvelling

That GA traffic setting is global...once you un-check that box in your AI traffic panel of FS9's settings screens, there will be no more GA traffic anyware.....It won't hurt anything to leave it unchecked permanently. Like you, I don't want to see a bunch of Cessna's getting in the way when I'm trying to taxi a heavy around Heathrow, Charles De gaul, Hong Kong...anyware!!I leave my traffic at 100% now and still get usable rates at busy airports, though until I can afford an Athlon64, I'll have to settle for low teens on the fps (I like the autogens at max too!).Current system: Athlon 2600XP (333fsb), 1 gig PC2700 DDR, Radeon 9700 at 4xAA, 6xAniso.

Guest victorwest

Yes, if you untick GA that will clear it from everywhere but once you're clear of major airports, ticking it will bring it all back won't it?

Guest james_2k

when im flying around with low amounts of planes about my fps is quite acceptable, however, in heathrow the worst its got is 5! now thats with around 40 pai airlines installed + the original commercial and GA planes, traffic at 100% now im not sure why its so low, my computer isnt exactly low end - 3.06 1Gb 9700pro - so im going to remove the standard planes and see what that does. and it should bring them all back, yes.