Sign in to follow this  
MoBacon

Need help with FSX multimonitors and undocked views

Hi,Brand new student pilot and new FSX'er. I actually found this forum looking for info about FSX and issues with the sim I am setting up. I was considering dropping back to FS9 since I had read SimSamurai's guide which seems to push FS9. I found a recent thread on here and it was locked due to evidently the discussion devolving into FS9 vs FSX which I was considering. That is not what I want to happen here. I hope that I can stick with FSX.I just want to know if I can run three undocked views with a dual quad core with decent video cards (NVidia 560) I think. I know this is not the best machine ever, but it is new and designed for gaming.I set up five monitors--the front three with a triple head to go but the highest resolution I can find in flight sim is 3740 x something. Do I have something set wrong or is this the max. With three screens, it seems like it should go to 5760, or is 3740 as wide as fsx goes? Do I have something set wrong? Is this one of the things you have to edit fsx.cfg for? I tried that, but I don't know if I did it right.I set up the side monitors with undocked views of the left and right window. These don't line up but I am still learning how to adjust the view. The problem is it does not seem to run well. I also have a ProPit from VRInsight that worked great but I have somehow screwed that up too once I created the new views and I cannot get the panel to display at all, so I have to figure that out, too. Sigh. What I was wondering is, can you set the view to say 180 degrees and just have the video cards divide it up among the monitors? Or is each view flat and you have to undock and drag to the different monitors? Do multiple views work well on FSX? It seems there is some conflicting info. Does it work smoother on FS9? I guess the graphics on 9 are no where near X but I have not installed it yet. I hope it comes today and I can compare them.I thought I bought a strong machine but I didn't get the absolute top end. I can live with less graphics if I should drop back a version. If this setup runs well on everyone else, I just need to troubleshoot more and I will stick with it. I just wanted opinions from people who have done this. It would be really great if you can make the display a full 180 degrees across the monitors.Thanks for any help.

Hi,I don't have an exact duplicate of your setup but do use multiple monitors. I have 3x 27" Iiyama's configured using eyefinity 5760x1980, i also run windowed mode rather than full screen.The maximum resolution is determined by the maximum resolution of the individual monitor x the number of monitors. So in my case each monitor is capable of 1920x1080. I have a 4th monitor running outside the eyefinity config sat on top for fscommanders moving map.I don't run undocked view windows, but run the wide config option within fsconfig.ini so i get views out of the side as well. In my experience multiple views cost massive performance.Some addons don't like high resolutions, i have problems with the Aerosoft Katana menus, but can flick between one and 3 screen configuration.Hope this makes sense...

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi Mo.Have your native res. in win7 set to 5040x1050, which is the max res. for TH2G. In the FSX setup you should see 5040x1050 available. Otherwise change it in fsx.cfgEdit the fsx.cfg: WideView=True if you haven't already. What you get is a very wide view, and your zoom factor will determine the field of view. Zooming out will give you greater angle on FOV, but you'll get a fish eye lens view. I'd say stay around 0,9 zoom factor. Expect some slight warping far left and right.For 4th, and 5th monitors: Create two views, 2x virtual cockpit, use arrow keys and zoom factor to fit side views. If 5 monitors are too much for your cpu, dump side monitors, and get TrackIR 4 or 5. Gives decent side views when turning your head.Bjorn

Oh yes, thank you very much. I have it working--it was full screen that kept crashing everything. I have it running now, still need to try the wide config--that is exactly what I was looking for.Thank you!

the main reason 5040+ Full screen resolutions are not available in FSX is that the matrox monitor driver rarely installs correctly. Go into Device Manager and expand monitors, this should read MatroxTripllehead2go digital edition.now, if it reads; generic plug and play, then FSX may not see the 5040 res and it must now be changed manually.( the driver)Do a manual 'update driver' for the monitor and select 'have disk', Browse to the following path: C:\Program Files\Matrox Graphics Inc\PowerDesk SE\ and select GXM.inf tick 'include subfolders' etc. If you don't do this then the 5040 res. may not appear in the FSX menu. TH2GO runs great with full screen and 5000+ resolutions, just don't miss this step.Ron.just to add, did you do a firmware upgrade for the TH2GO? available from matrox.

Your best option is to SLI 2 GTX 480's or buy the latest Geforce GTX 590 and set resolution to 5760/1080 with bezel correction. Far better than any matrox setup. There is no reason to run multi monitor setups in windowed mode. As long as you resize and get everything exactly how you want it and then save in win mode you can then revert back to full screen mode. The key thing to remember is to always exit FSX in win mode.

Keith Sandford.

Your best option is to SLI 2 GTX 480's or buy the latest Geforce GTX 590 and set resolution to 5760/1080 with bezel correction. Far better than any matrox setup. There is no reason to run multi monitor setups in windowed mode. As long as you resize and get everything exactly how you want it and then save in win mode you can then revert back to full screen mode. The key thing to remember is to always exit FSX in win mode.
How will you squeeze five monitors out of two 480´s?Typically main panel in 2D won´t show with TH2G, so what I mean is, you briefly go to windowed mode, undock the main panel and what other panels you may have trouble seeing in full screen, then go back to full screen. I didn´t mean to run windowed mode all the time. What does exiting FSX in windowed mode do?Bjorn

I have never heard of bezel management or correction until now. Excellent. Thank you!

Thanks, I will check that because I don't think it did install correctly. I did the firmware update. I appreciate the info!
the main reason 5040+ Full screen resolutions are not available in FSX is that the matrox monitor driver rarely installs correctly. Go into Device Manager and expand monitors, this should read MatroxTripllehead2go digital edition.now, if it reads; generic plug and play, then FSX may not see the 5040 res and it must now be changed manually.( the driver)Do a manual 'update driver' for the monitor and select 'have disk', Browse to the following path: C:\Program Files\Matrox Graphics Inc\PowerDesk SE\ and select GXM.inf tick 'include subfolders' etc. If you don't do this then the 5040 res. may not appear in the FSX menu. TH2GO runs great with full screen and 5000+ resolutions, just don't miss this step.Ron.just to add, did you do a firmware upgrade for the TH2GO? available from matrox.

MoBacon, (what's your real name?)I did do a setup guide for TH2GO and using WIN 7, on another forum, a few things are different for WIN 7 and there are some issues that were not in XP.follow this link to setup successfully.http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4418There are issues with AA and win 7 etc. With TH2GO and using additional monitors to display only gauges etc. it runs ok, but you will get a huge performance hit when running extra views.Hey Bjorn, I think slip stream is refering to exiting in windowed mode, meaning that windows will remember the saved window positions for next time.This worked really well in FS9, and saved you the trouble of resizing everything again. Doesn't work as well in FSX for some strange reason.Ron.