I thought I replied to this post - looks like it's gone.Hmmm,anyway, I have ONLY a 120 GB SSD on a new computer built exclusively for FSX.With Win 7 64,FSX, LD767, PDMG 747, FlyTampa, my SSD is 1/2 full. The builder forgot the 2nd HD I specified ( a 1.5tB 7200 rpm) drive. I'll install it when it gets here. I am wondering what filed\s to shed to the 1.5tB drive. I think a 120 Gb is too small.Paul

Paul Gugliotta

I thought I replied to this post - looks like it's gone.Hmmm,anyway, I have ONLY a 120 GB SSD on a new computer built exclusively for FSX.With Win 7 64,FSX, LD767, PDMG 747, FlyTampa, my SSD is 1/2 full. The builder forgot the 2nd HD I specified ( a 1.5tB 7200 rpm) drive. I'll install it when it gets here. I am wondering what filed\s to shed to the 1.5tB drive. I think a 120 Gb is too small.Paul
Hi Paul,Yeah I remember reading your post - maybe it wasnt in this thread - cant see why it would have been deleted - unless you forgot to put your name on it? *EDIT* I see its in your signiture so cant be that!I certainly am going to need a step by step guide when I get the new rig on how and where to install everything! I found Ryans suggested OCZ Vertex 3 drive on the website that I am purchasing the rest of my kit from...and may get it as it is only actually £100 more than the C300 that I was looking at - although the C300 has 16 GB more capacity at 256GB as apposed to 240GB...Im having to re-learn everything!

Anthony Milner

Hi Paul,Yeah I remember reading your post - maybe it wasnt in this thread - cant see why it would have been deleted - unless you forgot to put your name on it?*EDIT* I see its in your signiture so cant be that!I certainly am going to need a step by step guide when I get the new rig on how and where to install everything! I found Ryans suggested OCZ Vertex 3 drive on the website that I am purchasing the rest of my kit from...and may get it as it is only actually £100 more than the C300 that I was looking at - although the C300 has 16 GB more capacity at 256GB as apposed to 240GB...Im having to re-learn everything!
Hi AnthonyHave you got your new system up and running and if so how do you find the solid state hard drive and FSX. I have recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and now my graphic card seems to be on it's last legs. So am thinking that at the same time I might invest in a solid state hard drive. I have read a little bit about it and it seems that load up times are better. Have you found any other benefit's with FSX?I hope you don't mind me asking.

Hi AnthonyHave you got your new system up and running and if so how do you find the solid state hard drive and FSX. I have recently upgraded my CPU and motherboard and now my graphic card seems to be on it's last legs. So am thinking that at the same time I might invest in a solid state hard drive. I have read a little bit about it and it seems that load up times are better. Have you found any other benefit's with FSX?I hope you don't mind me asking.
I've used an SSD for fsx & it does indeed improve load times. It's also can reduce stutters associated with texture loading (not all stutters, just those). Right now I have fsx on a 10k rpm conventional & while the SSD was a bit faster, I don't really miss it. I dumped the SSD because it didn't support autotrim, a necessity if you're installing/uninstalling/caching. It's used as a storage for all my install files now so it's basically read only except for the few time I download a new app or patch.Edit: I know I'm not the guy you were asking, but that's my experience.

Thanks MrKen The more info I can get the better. Can I ask what 10k conventional HD you have?

Thanks MrKen The more info I can get the better. Can I ask what 10k conventional HD you have?
Wd velociraptor. I'd have to check but I think it's 300ish gb.

There is no need to defrag an SSD since head seeks are not an issue and moving sectors around would waste write cycles. You might also want to eliminate antivirus routine scans on the SSD preferring scan on demand.