Sign in to follow this  
nrcapes

rcd files not found by rc4

I saved a number of .rcd files during my first tutorial flight. And they are in the Flight Simulator Files directory along with .wx files and .pln files. But when I press the Load Previously Saved .rcds button in RC it navigates to the correct folder but says no .rcd files were found. The .rcd files all have positive sizes, from 11 kb to 14 kb. I am running RC4 as Administrator under Windows 7.I looked for answers to this but the problems all seem to be different from this.

The reference to RC4 admin is not that you have admin rights but the program itself is run as admin in its shortcut properties. Be sure your paths are set correctly in RC with the flt/wxr button setting. Refer to the naming conventions. FS must be running when loading an .rcd file. Make sure RC shortcut is set to run the program as an admin, not just you with admin rights.

The reference to RC4 admin is not that you have admin rights but the program itself is run as admin in its shortcut properties. Be sure your paths are set correctly in RC with the flt/wxr button setting. Refer to the naming conventions. FS must be running when loading an .rcd file. Make sure RC shortcut is set to run the program as an admin, not just you with admin rights.
Here is a screenshot of the folder where the saved files are. They have .flt extension (not .rcd) - is that correct? Also, FS running, .flt/.ws path set correctly, RC set with property Run as Administrator.

A flight saved with RC has an .rcd extension. That data will load the FLT, and WXR files as well. The FLT and WXR files are states from FS's save function.

A flight saved with RC has an .rcd extension. That data will load the FLT, and WXR files as well. The FLT and WXR files are states from FS's save function.
then why do the .flt files follow the naming convention on p. 119 of the manual? For instance, one file name is 219-55633-V41_KDSMKORD-9$2.FLT. Something is very strange here. According to the naming conventions, 219 should be the day of the year, but I didn't install RC until this past week (5/1 or so). The flight plan name V41_KDSMKORD didn't exist until I ran the first RC tutorial. The controller number (9) is correct since I did the save during Approach. I am at a loss to getting the Save/Load function to work. FS was running when I tried to Load. The .flt/.wx Path button was set correctly. RC4 Property was set to Run as Administrator.

It looks like it needs to be trouble shot. I'll take it up with jd.

OK. I got it to work:I loaded FS with the aircraft at a departure airport. I started RC with a plan from that airport. The aircraft was a standard FS model add-on I have, not one that is not standard like PMDG. I then saved the RCD with the RC key combo ctrl-shift-; and all three files were created. I quit RC and restarted it with the same plan loaded. I then loaded RC with the rcd and the FS flight restarted and all was ready.Those tests failed with the PMDG 737NG which is not a standard model. With the PMDG model it would not save the .rcd, only the .flt and .wx files.The RC builds I used was 3843 and 3845.It seems it is model dependent but it doesn't hurt to load the flight plan that was in force anyway. It follows the criteria of the RC copilot in that the copilot can only fly aircraft with a standard autopilot.You can practice approaches with many fine aircraft that will work. Try the Project Open Sky models for airliners.Let me know if the procedures I used works for you.

It looks like it needs to be trouble shot. I'll take it up with jd.
I used the semi-colon key in-flight to save a file that I could give a meaningful name to. I then quit RC, exited the sim, started the sim at the departure airport, started RC, hit the Load Previously Saved RCD button, and the file was there. It took FS to the saved point with everything good. Note however that RC must be stopped and the sim must be stopped after saving the file, or the .rcd file does NOT appear. This doesn't seem to be in the manual. This is with the standard B737-400 in FS9. So I don't see the advantage of usin CS semicolon anyway!

Glad you worked it out.

Glad you worked it out.
Well, I thought I had, but saving .rcd files doesn't work any more, no matter what keys I use even after quitting RC and exiting the sim. What may be happening is that I have Pete Dowson's autosave.dll running and it IS making .rcd files. I can load one of these into RC4 and I am back up at the autosave point. Is it possible that this conflicts with the RC4 Save/Load function? It just will not save .rcd files, although tutorial # 2 says all you have to do is Quit RC. I think this is a significant problem because the RC manual uses Save/Load a lot.thanks!

Pete's supplied autosave function could certainly interfere with manual saves. It has a function to limit the number of .rcd files added in the session and that might be the conflict. FS must be restarted to reintialize it with an appropriate flight loaded and RC restarted to intialize it for you to load the .rcd file.

Pete's supplied autosave function could certainly interfere with manual saves. It has a function to limit the number of .rcd files added in the session and that might be the conflict. FS must be restarted to reintialize it with an appropriate flight loaded and RC restarted to intialize it for you to load the .rcd file.
OK, but the problem is that the files don't show up in Windows Explorer, even when it is run as Adminstrator.

Did you rename autosave.dll to disable it and then test?On Win Explorer if you keep a window minimized and them maximize it be sure you do a view/refresh.I can't help since it is working for me.

Did you rename autosave.dll to disable it and then test?On Win Explorer if you keep a window minimized and them maximize it be sure you do a view/refresh.I can't help since it is working for me.
Yes, I moved autosave.dll out of the modules folder. RC4 Save/Load now works. I just looked at the autosave docs. Pete's software automatically deletes .rcd files after the limit is reached. I'm going to try making the autosave interval long (to protect against power outages during long flights) and maximize the # of autosave files.