Sign in to follow this  
Tatave

FSX Crashes upon loading on splashscreen

Hello,I am having a problem starting FSX. I had an issue with an effects file (FX_1.bmp), therefore all effects in FSX (Touchdown smoke, contrails, vortexes etc.) were showing up as a series of black squares. To fix this, I used the 'repair' function in the FSX installer, and now whenever I start FSX, it crashes with a 'Microsoft Error report' message, (where the options on the bottom are 'send error report' and 'don't send'). I restarted the computer about three times, but the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You will need to put the service packs back on after a repair install, if you already have then try deleting the fsx.cfg and let FSX create a new one the next time you start the sim.

Cheers, Andy.

You will need to put the service packs back on after a repair install, if you already have then try deleting the fsx.cfg and let FSX create a new one the next time you start the sim.
Does FSX really create a new .cfg file automatically if it was deleted? I'll try reinstalling the Service Packs.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Yes of course it does, but you will have the change all your settings back to the way you like them afterwards.

Cheers, Andy.

I didn't know that FSX made a new CFG file. Anyway, I installed SP1 and SP2 and now I can start FSX again. Thank-you for your help.

Thanks,

Kevin L

I didn't know that FSX made a new CFG file. Anyway, I installed SP1 and SP2 and now I can start FSX again. Thank-you for your help.
Do yourself a favor and after you have the cfg adjusted to the way you want it, make a copy and save it in another folder. I do this everytime I add/remove anything in FSX, and it has saved me a ton of time. If you have another cfg problem, just copy/paste the backup cfg into FSX and you are good to go.

Jay