Sign in to follow this  
Guest jeffg

ati radeon 9800xt

Guest jona

Hi all ,I recently bought the radeon 9800xt 256mb . Expecting an amazing performance boost I started fs2004 only to discover that there was hardly if any performance gain at all in comparisson with my old TI4200 64mb!!!.I tried every possible driver and configuration but to no effect.Now what to do. After 5 days of surfing the net and trying out every tip I decided to return the card. Now the question is what card to buy?I want to run multiple screens (2 or more) I geuss i should stick to a nvidia based card although after reading pc pilot I`m wondering about the parhelia card ( experiences anyone?)Aopen 4PEmaxP4 2.5380GB harddrive512mbI just want to run fs2004 as smooth as possible!!!. If any of you has a system that does just that then system specs would be very much appreciated..Thanks and happy flyingQuinn

Did you format and reinstall windows after installing your new R9800?I noticed quite a hefty performance increase swapping over from my TI4800, but I formatted first. If you haven't, you're best advised to. You're not going to find a better card to run FS2004 with.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest romeo_charlie

Hello there Quinn!I am in the same quest for the perfect card.I have tested different cards during the past two weeks. I have tested a nvidia MX440, a nvidia FX5600XT, a nvidia FX5600, and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb.I haven't been able to find a Ti4600 at a good price, since Several have told me that it's one of the best performers for FS2004. I was truly dissappointed with the FX series (I still have some hope about the FX5950, but it's a little overpriced).The 9800 is definitely the best of the ones I tested, but still I expected better. I have the results of the tests I have made, I'll post them soon. You have contributed a little to the idea of getting a good Nvidia Ti4600 or so, and waiting to see what the manufacturers come up with next spring.It seems like there's only one card above the 9800 Pro I tested, and that is what you tested, the 9800 XT. None seem to perform to expectations. As soon as I add bad weather together with the highest detail. FPS goes down.Regards,Rafa.

Guest jeffg

I have a AMD 2000+ with 768 of ram with a ATI 9800pro 128mb of ram and just reinstalled Windows XP home and FS9.I am only getting fps of 8-10 fps with any of the aircraft.I have tweaked the card but have no idea how to overclock so I have not tried that road yet.I have the scenery down to normal no aa on and the card set to aa 4x and af to 8x.I would love to see a guide on how to set up the 9800 for the best frame rates in FS9 and win xp. JeffG

Guest Mike94

The Radeon card should perform very well with your machine. I have the 9700pro with 128MB, and it performs very good and smooth with my AMD XP2600+ processor. I have nothing overclocked. Drivers are 3.9Maybe you have some 'leftovers' from your old nvidia drivers, which makes the Radeon perform bad. Believe me, the Radeon card is a very nice card with great performance and image quality in FS9!But anyway, never expect an enormeous performance 'boost' by only exchanging the video card. In the end, FS9 is a very processor intensive program.Cheers,Michael

Guest jeffg

After the Christmas holidays I am going to bump up the processor to a 2600 after that I will have to install a new motherboard to go higher with amd.I hope that will help. Jeffg

Guest manolakis

Hi, can you please tell me if this radeon 9800 card you are talking about or any other radeon card supports win2000, or winXP SPAN mode for multiple windows? Does it offer double VGA output for connecting two monitors? What about 1600X600 or 2048x756 resolutions?thanks,manolis

Guest jase439

I recently upgraded from a GF4 to a 9800XT. I don't see substantially huge increases in frame rate, but I see substantial improvement in frame rate drop (or lack thereof). Normally, solid overcast and storms (with AA enabled) would have buried my card previously. The 9800XT shines here - and there's no appreciable drop.I can generally run a pretty solid 25-30 fps w/ this card. Previously, I would have bobbled between 6 or 7 and 25 fps depending on conditions. Likewise, panels like the PMDG 737 taxed my system pretty good, but the 9800XT again seems to be offloading alot of work - freeing the CPU for better panel performance.Perhaps you are using the wrong benchmark for assessing your perfomance?J

Guest CGTHX

I have an Athalon 2400+ @ 2ghz with a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB with everything maxed out and I get a solid 25 fps in all situations, no matter what. I highly recommend the Radeon 9800.

Guest SlimDady

yea it all depends on what you expected. In every other game i saw huge increases when i got my xt(i used to have a geforce 3)i see lows of maybe 25-30 around aiports and ai, in the air i can see about 70 with spikes up to 90flightsim not so much really. but its still far betteru could get both the 9800xt and the 5950 both the top models on both sides, u wont see hardly any performance difference between the two in fs

Guest groundpounder75

Quinn,>I want to run multiple screens (2 or more)Did you try the multiple screen setup with the 9800xt? >I geuss i should stick to a nvidia based card although after>reading pc pilot I`m wondering about the parhelia card (>experiences anyone?)I have read that the parhelia is pretty slow in comparison to what you had. Check out www.guru3d.com for reviews.>Aopen 4PEmax>P4 2.53>80GB harddrive>512mb>I just want to run fs2004 as smooth as possible!!!. If you are after smooth performance increase your RAM to as much as the mo-bo can take or as much as your wallet can give.To me it sounds like you have some kind of bottleneck in your system somewhere. I find it hard to believe that your 9800xt didn't get the job done. >I just want to run fs2004 as smooth as possible!!!. Keep your fingers crossed that Microsoft makes FS compatible to run on a dual 2.0GHz Mac G5. Look out!!!! I know, jk.

JeffGI was using a AMD 2000+ with 512mb and an old Gforce 2 card and was getting a steady 20fps. But I had to update the VIA drivers before this happened. Download the latest VIA chipset drivers and it should help. You may consider this: The cost of a 2600+ cpu is a little much for the expected results. Motherboards are not that expensive and just use your current hardware. You will be way ahead if you purchase a new mobo and cpu and heatsink. I swithced to a intel this time and I'm using my ATI 9800 np and it is great. I use the CAT 3.9, and the only change I made was to manually set the antilase to 4x. Application select on every thing else. Good luck.