Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Flightplanner that choose rw and SID/STAR according to the wind direction ?

Hi all,Is there a flightplanner for FSX that can read the wind data ( from ASE perhaps ) and then chooses the runways according to the wind directions and shows only the procedures that are current for those runways ? I have been reading about FsBuild and Flighplanner 9, but am not sure if those can do that.Thanks in advance.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Aivlasoft EFB reads ASE, REX and FSX values to allow a SID/STAR selection. The first two would allow a pre-planning when far out of the destination field while the FSX values come into play when getting closer.You can set up some parameters and then get a recommended rw displayed while the SID/STAR selection screen then offers filtered procedures, getting rid of the overwhelming amount at some airports and only showing e. g. all northbound procedures and/or the ones corresponding to your selected rw.For the route planning part you would import Vatroute or Simroute made plans (from within the program), so you don't work directly inside EFB there but are free to add waypoints or perform direct-to actions of course.You can test EFB in full for 30 days so maybe a closer look on it is the better option, instead of reading my weird descriptions. :(

Hi all,Is there a flightplanner for FSX that can read the wind data ( from ASE perhaps ) and then chooses the runways according to the wind directions and shows only the procedures that are current for those runways ? I have been reading about FsBuild and Flighplanner 9, but am not sure if those can do that.Thanks in advance.
I don't know of any flightplanner that does that. The topcatsim tool does that tho.

Not a bad idea, but I don't know of any in the real world that can accomplish that task; that includes my major airline.

Not a bad idea, but I don't know of any in the real world that can accomplish that task; that includes my major airline.
A couple of weeks ago I was at a friends house and he showed me FsBuild 2.The wind aloft data showed different in FsBuild than in ASE.Beside that he had to choose the departure and arrival rw himself and FsBuild did not Build the flightplan according to the wind directions.So he could choose rwnad Sids/Stars that where completely wrong. Imho it shouldn't be that difficult for a flightplanner to read the wind data from ASE/REX and than show only rw with the Sids/Stars according to those wind data.I have read the info about Topcat and indeed it uses wind data , but no sids/stars info.It seems a flightplanner will be released in a couple of months called Professional Flight Planner X , which seems to have a lot of features , but I did not see what I am looking for...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have read the info about Topcat and indeed it uses wind data , but no sids/stars info.It seems a flightplanner will be released in a couple of months called Professional Flight Planner X , which seems to have a lot of features , but I did not see what I am looking for...
What topcat does is it reads the weather (you either download it from the net or have the software read the ase file) and then it tells you from what runway you should take off. (options->configuration-> automatic runway selection).V

In real life which runway that will be used is not always dependant on which direction the wind is blowing. For example, at KLAX at night they will have noise abatament procedures in effect, having planes landing on 6R while planes depart from 25R. This is to reduce the noise the jets makes over the city during the night. So runway selection is not always down to which direction the wind is blowing, there are other factors as well.

I am an old school guy, don't want to do what is not real, RW don't have a program that tell them this. This is what I do, I use Flight Aware to tell me what real world dispatches are using on a route. Then I take that info and put it into FSBuild which does read ASE weather data. Then I go into the US National Weather System and get the METARs and forecast for my departure and destination airports. Then based on the weather conditions and the routes I select the SID and STARs that I will use. BTW this approach gives you the pilot to do the research on what is going on weather wise for your route. I then use all this to input into FSBuild and 95% of the time it is dead on for my flight. Remember you are the pilot in command, so use the info to makde the right decision. To have some program do it for you is a wimp out choice. IMHO, if you want to be a pilot then you have to act like one.I flew in the real world, over 2000 hours with the USAF and things were not done with some auto program. Hope you can use the tools that are available here in the FS world to do the same as real world pilots are doing everyday.CheersBob

I think there are too many variables for auto-selection of the runway/SID/STAR by the flight planner to work. For example, there are many variations of weather scenarios...real time, variable based on forecast, static (e.g. snapshot wx) etc.And in the interest of realism, you really don't know which rwy (or which arrival for that matter) is going to be in use until you arrive.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think there are too many variables for auto-selection of the runway/SID/STAR by the flight planner to work. For example, there are many variations of weather scenarios...real time, variable based on forecast, static (e.g. snapshot wx) etc.And in the interest of realism, you really don't know which rwy (or which arrival for that matter) is going to be in use until you arrive.
At Heathrow (EGLL) in weather conditions when the tail wind component is no greater than 5 knots on the main Runway 27R and 27L, these runways will normally be used in preference to Runways 09R and 09L, provided the runway (s) surface is dry. Also runways 27R and 27L are used alternately by time of day (0600-1500 and 1500- last flight) for noise alleviation.In the UK (amd I think other countries) STARTs do not terminate at a runway but at a holding fix from which an approach can be made to any runway. The choice of STAR is determined by the airway leading to its start - not the runway.

I understand that there are multiple conditions for choosing a rw and sid/star.However I would like to fly with other aircraft around me whne taking off /landing.Not that I am the only one on a certain rw.By now I think that FsBuild is the best fp for me.If the winds aloft data is read correctly so that FsBuild shows the same data as ASE I can be satisfied for the moment.I did take a good look a Flightplanner 9 ;lots of features, but it does not calculate altitudes. The reason that I want to make a complete fp before flying is that I also want to program my FMC.

Flightaware is a good place to get a basic outline of a route, but most of the time it's just a generic route filed by dispatchers and is even missing most sid and stars. I believe the Topcat people are creating a great flight planner that will do all this.

Flightaware is a good place to get a basic outline of a route, but most of the time it's just a generic route filed by dispatchers and is even missing most sid and stars. I believe the Topcat people are creating a great flight planner that will do all this.
Hopefully !